Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 10:36 AM

17,692 posts, read 29,696,842 times

Advertisements

Sears.com
$429 + tax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 10:42 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,004,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The ice maker water tube is broken inside the refrigerator? It's not the line to the fridge?

If the fridge is still working, I'd turn the water off and tell the tenant that they don't get an ice maker with their rental.

That would be unless it is a high end rental or the tenant specifically rented that unit because there is an ice maker (which is highly unlikely).

If you are going to be a landlord, ice makers are a no-no, That's something that breaks easily, causes service calls for no other reason than the tenant isn't using it correctly, and is costly to repair. Only buy fridges without ice makers.

Since you would replace th fridge with a fridge that doesn't have an ice maker, then just turn the water off and the tenant already has a fridge without an ice maker. Take the broken ice maker out to increase the room available in the freezer.
As a renter, if I rented a place with an ice maker and they later decided they didn't want to provide a fridge with an ice maker that would be a serious problem for me. That is one thing I cannot go without, and certainly something I check before renting. I'm sure if they wanted to it would be possible for them to break the lease over.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:55 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,572,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
As a renter, if I rented a place with an ice maker and they later decided they didn't want to provide a fridge with an ice maker that would be a serious problem for me. That is one thing I cannot go without, and certainly something I check before renting. I'm sure if they wanted to it would be possible for them to break the lease over.
If the lease specifies a refrigerator with an ice-maker, that's one thing. If it doesn't, good luck legally with your assumption ...

Old 12-22-2013, 12:50 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,070,811 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If the lease specifies a refrigerator with an ice-maker, that's one thing. If it doesn't, good luck legally with your assumption ...
^^^This.

Not only is STT correct, but I actually laughed at your comment that no ice maker is a serious problem. You cannot go without? Oh right, it's like having no heat in the north! I'd like to give you a reality check in the form of ice cube trays.

When we moved in our house, we found the ice maker, which worked, was leaking from somewhere. Having a leak is a big deal - and a problem. So we turned off the water, removed the hose, and took out the space-eating maker in the freezer! I now have ice cube trays.

If having lots of ice is a problem for you, I suggest you buy yourself a small ice-maker, then you don't have to worry about the one the landlord provides which would actually concern me lots in a rental.

I would have removed the ice maker from our fridge even if it did work as I didn't trust our tenants to have taken care of it to make sure there was no mold or other stuff hiding inside. That is one of the most germ-prone area of a fridge - ewww, ice from a freezer that might at one time not have worked for whatever reason allowing disgusting organisms to grow inside, unseen, but making their way into your ice cubes. No thanks, not for me.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:53 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,750,246 times
LL has no obligation to provide a working ice maker. Close off the tube, remove the apparatus to make more space in the freezer, and voila, your problem is solved.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:30 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,001,844 times
Look around for a used appliance store, they often sell higher end stuff for very cheap, and I'm sure you can find a used fridge with an ice maker for a few hundred dollars.

Also these places will usually take the old fridge away for free

My mom bought a unit and put in a "new" microwave (mounted) and Fridge for less than $300.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:35 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,109,197 times
Quote:

You are lucky to have appliances at all.
The rentals I have had we had to provide all of our own appliances and hope there was a gas line run for the stove.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:32 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,004,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You are lucky to have appliances at all.
The rentals I have had we had to provide all of our own appliances and hope there was a gas line run for the stove.
Its not luck when you simply have standards. Don't want one without appliances? Don't rent one. God ill be so happy when I buy a place and no longer have to deal with functionally retarded landlords.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:24 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,377,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
A lease doesn't usually spell out every appliance and amenity, does it?

I would totally expect the landlord to fix or replace the existing icemaker. I feel the same way as the person above who said an icemaker is a high priority. I use a ton of ice, and everybody knows ice cube trays are a pain in the b***. I wouldn't say "no icemaker" would be a dealbreaker if I were renting a place, but if it had one when I rented, I would expect that it is part of the amenities, just like a self-cleaning oven or garbage disposal. BTW, I haven't had all the problems with icemakers that you all have had. (Knock wood....)

Old 12-23-2013, 04:23 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,572,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
A lease doesn't usually spell out every appliance and amenity, does it?
Many do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting