Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 09:08 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times

Advertisements

Yeah, our utilities typically refer to this landlord agreement as a "stay on" agreement, and it has to be set up by the landlord. The tenant calls in and says they are moving out and service automatically reverts to the landlord. Power and gas do this, and municipal services, but not private water companies. So it is hit and miss.

However, one comment. You mentioned that you are breaking the lease and moving early. Rent was to be paid through December 31st. Was there mention of utilities at any point? I've heard of landlords requiring utilities on a broken lease stay in the current tenant's name until a new tenant is found. Not sure whether that is legal or not, but I've heard of it happening. Just wondering if you misunderstood and she actually said you were to call back in and have utilities scheduled to go back into YOUR name, not hers, so they wouldn't be shut off.

Depending on where you live, if the gas or power get turned off this time of year, the house could have frozen pipes, leading to a whole can of worms I would NOT want to get into with a landlord. I would follow up again with the LL and reemphasize that the utility company would not let you put service in her name and she needs to contact them ASAP to avoid shut off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 12:26 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Over here we deal with so many different utility companies and even more different rules.

Some will almost go overboard with their verification system...while others don't care too much.

Duke Energy doesn't care if you are the tenant or the owner since they allow anybody with a SSN to have it in their name since all they want is money.

Most companies require a deed, HUD or lease agreement.

Some will automatically transfer it tot the owner when a tenant moves out since they don't allow shut off of the utilities since they want to keep receiving money...

It is ridiculous that in a small area 6 different water companies operate with all different rules and regulations.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:03 PM

66 posts, read 149,470 times
Thank you all for your responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Since you're leaving before the end of the actual lease, save the texts about notification of shutoff....just in case.
^^^ This, I have saved *everything* and all communications from the last 4 months. We are moving before the end of the lease due to a problem with the house that will require extensive work (as we were told by them and they gave us the option to leave, I posted in another thread about this).
The last 4 months have been nothing short of a nightmare and I have been sure to save everything. All text messages, all communication that has been in writing, etc.
I am hoping in 2 days I will never have to hear from them again, LOL We have done everything they have asked of us to hopefully avoid any further issues so we can just move on with our lives.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:04 PM

66 posts, read 149,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Yeah, our utilities typically refer to this landlord agreement as a "stay on" agreement, and it has to be set up by the landlord. The tenant calls in and says they are moving out and service automatically reverts to the landlord. Power and gas do this, and municipal services, but not private water companies. So it is hit and miss.

However, one comment. You mentioned that you are breaking the lease and moving early. Rent was to be paid through December 31st. Was there mention of utilities at any point? I've heard of landlords requiring utilities on a broken lease stay in the current tenant's name until a new tenant is found. Not sure whether that is legal or not, but I've heard of it happening. Just wondering if you misunderstood and she actually said you were to call back in and have utilities scheduled to go back into YOUR name, not hers, so they wouldn't be shut off.

Depending on where you live, if the gas or power get turned off this time of year, the house could have frozen pipes, leading to a whole can of worms I would NOT want to get into with a landlord. I would follow up again with the LL and reemphasize that the utility company would not let you put service in her name and she needs to contact them ASAP to avoid shut off.

I am able to see online through the utility companies any work orders for the address since my name is still on it for another 2 days, there are now new pending orders for a Turn On in her name, so she did call. But I had been checking to make sure, like you said.. a can of worms I didn't want to open.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:25 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
I think it's hilarious that the LL's response was to yell at YOU to call the utility company, instead of immediately getting on the horn herself.

I've found there are two kinds of people in the world when it comes to something needing to get done:

1) I need something done, I need to figure out how to do it

and

2) I need something done, I need to find someone to do it for me.

Glad you are out of there!

Old 01-03-2014, 12:01 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think it's hilarious that the LL's response was to yell at YOU to call the utility company, instead of immediately getting on the horn herself.

I agree.

When my tenant moved out, I called up and put the utilities into my name. Took all of 5 minutes on the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting