Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 05:56 AM

460 posts, read 3,546,296 times

Advertisements

This might sound crazy but I think I want to move back to my old apartment bldg. What makes it a crazy idea is that 1 yr ago I left there after the bldg mgmt co handed me an eviction notice and wound up moving within 1 wk under that threat. They never began actual legal proceedings they said since I agreed to leave asap. What happened is I was harassed by my neignor's grown son and we got into a back and forth verbal conflict and some banging on walls type of stuff but nothing major. BUT since it was him and his parents complaining the management co took their side because they'd been there longer and it was my word against theirs. Then when they got another neighbor involved on their side which culminated in us 3 parties arguing in the hallway and cops came because of it (no arrests or citiations) the mgmt co slapped the eviction notice on me assuming I was the trouble maker (2 against 1) but in fact it was the other way around. Those 2 other parties instigated everything and in the end I had to leave! NOW I'm in another apartment and absolutely hate it and realize how much I liked ny old place for SO MANY reasons and realize leaving there was so wrong on so many levels. At the heart of the matter is they harassed me because I have a disability and I've been sick over all this for a year now and am sick over the fact that I should of gotten a lawyer and had everything straightened out and I'm confident it would of been had I done that. SO my current lease is up in 4 mths and I'm thinking that if my old 30 uiit bldg has something available that I should try and move back in on the sly. Can I do that because afterall I wasn't evicted? It wasn't the owner who wanted me gone either but rather the mgmt co who was taking the easy route after 2 parties kept complaining against 1. They never got the whole story and I'd like to go back there and even explain everything that went on last year that they should've know about but didn't. I'm thinking I would want/need the assistance of a lawyer to do all this and cost would not be the issue, it's trying to figure out if it's really a good idea or not.
I do know one thing for CERTAIN that if I could go back in time I would've never of left in the first place and I'm sick over the fact that I did. Also, as much as it would be about going back to a place I liked living in it would be about principle and the injustice of first being harassed and THEN being coecrced into leaving only after responding to it. The mgmt co never got the full story either and I do feel with the assstance of a lawyer and some sit down time with them that things could be brought to light. Mostly though I am really sick over all of what happened and am THINKING that MAYBE moving back in there would releive things for me BUT on the other hand maybe it wouldn't be a great idea either, not really sure. Oh I wouldn't be looking to move into the same exact apartment either because I wouldn't want to be sandwiched in between those neigbors again but it is a smaller building and we'd see each other either way. No matter what I'll be looking for another place in a few months anyway so what do you guys think? Does it sound like an impossible situation going back there or someting worth considering? Thanks for the long read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 06:11 AM

27,335 posts, read 27,385,151 times
Theres nothing wrong with that. There was a time when I lived in Fontana (Calif) and found my 'dream' house. It was one of those older Victorian style with the french doors, wood floors, huge back yard, studio guest house. No sooner than we moved in and got settled, within a few months we got a letter from some finance company or some bank or something... stating we have 30 days to move out. What??? We've only been here 3 months and never late with rent!
Turns out that the guy we'd been paying rent and deposit to all that tme didnt even own the house, it belonged to his brother who had left the state and no payments had been made on that house for 6 months...they were going to foreclose and put it up on the market, and tenants needed to get out. That was the one place I could have lived forever and never complained.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:44 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,013,760 times
Banging on walls doesn't resolve a problem - it only escalates it.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:05 AM

460 posts, read 3,546,296 times
I guess I'm thinking the only way they'd have me back is from some persuasive arm twisting by my lawyer and that of course would be met with resentment They had big headaches with 3 unhappy tenants last year causing them problems and after 8 mths of nonsense they got 1 out and the others are back to being happy and now 1 yr later if they let me back in they'd have 3 tenants who despise each other ONCE AGAIN and more potential problems in the building.

From my perspective I was unfairly railroaded out of there in a manner that would be of interest to a civil liberties lawyer but do I really want to live in a building that has to be forced into accepting me back in? I'm more of a loner to begin with who's too sensitive and doesn't do that well when surrounded by a lot of annimosity. And of course there would be a lot of negative gossip that would no doubt get around. So I don't know, I like to be anonymous and as invisible as possible in a building and to live without strife but that's probably a done deal at that building. I guess part of me wants to go back and fight the good fight for the principles of right and wrong but is it worth it to be surrounded by neighbors and building personel who despise you? I guess the best thing would've been to deal with things better back then and I'll have to think this over a little more. Any help is appreciated.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:20 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,181 times
It's not worth it. Move on with your life and find a better place with nicer neighbors.

And I'm pretty sure they wouldn't rent to you again, anyway.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:08 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
It's not worth it. Move on with your life and find a better place with nicer neighbors.

And I'm pretty sure they wouldn't rent to you again, anyway.
I agree... move on... you are probably just having mover's remorse instead of looking realistically at what really went on and remembering how really stressful it was at the time. And, had you not moved when you did, things could have really escalated into something very tragic, regardless of who was at fault.

Look around... there's bound to be better, more peaceful accommodations with better management for you... without the drama and the ugliness that should not have been allowed to go on as long as it did.

Go for a fresh start! And, good luck to you!

Old 06-17-2017, 09:58 AM

3 posts, read 9,075 times
I miss my old place too! I just gave the proper sixty day notice. Cleaned the place up and moved! The new place was cheaper! It is way to small and you rent your air conditioner! If I could turn back time, I would NEVER have moved here!

Old 06-17-2017, 07:15 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,578,161 times
I recommend - don't move back to your old place. If you are talking about moving back on the sly, that sounds like you are a problem renter. You never want to sly into an apartment, thats just crazy. There has to be any number of available apartments with similar features you like. Then if you were evicted, it is in writing somewhere. If the lease asks you have you ever been evicted what are you going to say? if you say no, then you would be lying and that lying is going to keep you from leasing any apartment.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:06 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,784,892 times
Haha!! I was all ready to reply when I saw that the OP started this thread back in 2007, almost 10 yrs ago and they haven't been back on City Data forums since 2013.

FWIW , my vote would have been to move on and not look back ! I don't think that any lawyer would have taken this case on.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:12 PM

544 posts, read 1,237,044 times
Nope , move on . You'll find an even better apartment than the one you think you left. Too much drama between you and management. If feel completely uncomfortable having t deal with them as a tenant for any issues. They probably wouldn't even rent to you again anyway. Move forward, not backward. I'd just get bad vibes coming home if I moved back in. Besides, what if you ran into the old neighbors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting