U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 07:26 PM

3 posts, read 3,165 times

Advertisements

Here's a little backstory. I've been in my apartment for a little under 2 years, my landlord lives downstairs. We have a month to month agreement. Earlier this winter I had to complain a few times because the heat would never go on, the house was always cold. My landlord had to call in a plumber to inspect the system and when he was in my apt I heard him tell the landlord that they had wrong valves on the system and none of the steam was reaching up here (so there was a legitimate issue with the heat). In the end they also needed to add something to their boiler that they told me cost them over $1,500 (not sure if I believe it).

Well after a few days one of the radiators was leaking so they had to come look my landlord told me they were going to raise my rent $100, blamed it on property taxes, but it was also after they had to spend money on the heating system and I had to complain about the heat. My wife & I are expecting our first child so raising our rent right before a baby was kind of insensitive so I spoke to them explained the situation and they agreed to delay the rent raising (which I understand they didn't have to do).

Now since then (not exactly same time, maybe a day or so after) every night from about 8pm to past 10pm I can hear their TV downstairs loudly. In my entire time in the apartment I have never heard their TV. I've heard them walking, heard noise when they've had company but never heard the TV. Now for the past few weeks every night that muffled bass noise from a TV for hours constantly. I say past 10pm because I get so frustrated with the noise I just go my bedroom where I can't hear it.

I'm not the type that enjoys complaining, I actually felt bad everytime I had to complain about the heat. I don't want to be known as someone who's always complaining but I want to bring up the TV issue. I always keep my TV low and I actually have a Bose sound system that I never turn on because I don't want to disturb them. I've actually only turned it on to tune out the noise from their TV, but am not a fan of watching TV loudly so it just ends up annoying me.

What is a polite way to bring up the TV noise without looking like a tenant that's always complaining?

*Not interested in the simple notion for me to move out right away. I can't move with a baby on the way, it would be too much. I can't move until at least a year from now.

Last edited by dr86; 01-13-2014 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: Adding Point Not looking to move
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 07:27 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,521,406 times
You need to move.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:36 PM

16,702 posts, read 20,456,636 times
Not looking to move. Options?

1) put up with it

2) complain

Granted, I'm in a bad mood tonight, but what other answer did you possibly expect?

Trust me on this one - it is easier to move BEFORE you have the kid.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:32 AM

24,671 posts, read 55,543,706 times
If your LL lives below you then you probably pass each other frequently and exchange a few words here and there. During one of these little exchanges you say something like this (in a pleasant tone and with a smile):

"Oh, by the way, did you by any chance get a new TV? The only reason I ask is that we never heard it at all until just recently. The sound really carries up and I just thought I'd ask if maybe you could turn it down a little - say after 9PM? We had the same problem a couple of years ago when we bought a new set and didn't realize until someone mentioned it to us that the bass was much louder in the new system ... "

It's that simple. BTDT. Good luck.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:22 AM

28,383 posts, read 67,903,744 times
I agree with STT -- there is a possibility that the landlord got a new subwoofer or some kind of A/V upgrade and they don't realize that it carries differently.

If the landlord has the same system and does nothing to make the sound less intrusion maybe it it's a passive aggressive way to get you to find a different apartment. Raising rent due to repairs and increased property taxes is not unheard of and regardless of you having a new baby the landlord is not running a charity but a business... If the value is better somewhere else you should move.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:00 AM

912 posts, read 4,020,019 times
Quote:
..month to month agreement... raising property taxes... raising rent
This is why you sign a lease, so that you can be sure your rent won't go up for at least a year without you knowing or being prepared for it.

Depending on your location, property taxes could have just skyrocketed. For example, in Philadelphia, where I own rentals, property taxes just went up by almost 300% (no joke!), as well as the city adding new taxes/fees that should bring rent up by another $300 a year, per apartment. You may not want to believe it, but your landlord could very well be telling the truth, and doing what all other landlords do.. passing the savings on to the customer.

Quote:
My wife & I are expecting our first child so raising our rent right before a baby was kind of insensitive
This is a pet peeve of mine. Going for the emotional argument and trying to get that pity vote. Congrats on your upcoming baby! But business is business, and the landlord shouldn't lose money every month because you've decided to start a family.

Bottom line, you are not entitled to a lower rent. Pay up or move. Or buy your own and make your own rules.

As far as the TV, your landlord probably just got a new stereo system, ask him to turn down the bass. Or get your own subwoofer.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:58 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,733,902 times
or remember that soon you will have a crying baby that the landlord also will need to adjust to. i would skip worrying about the TV. that is not an excessive amount of time to have to listen to someones TV, esp when you cant hear it in the bedrooms.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:16 PM

16,702 posts, read 20,456,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
or remember that soon you will have a crying baby that the landlord also will need to adjust to. i would skip worrying about the TV. that is not an excessive amount of time to have to listen to someones TV, esp when you cant hear it in the bedrooms.
You will have a crying baby, and a subwoofer pounding away at the same time. Move now.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:21 AM

8,316 posts, read 17,635,046 times
You're on month to month to lease, have a baby on the way and can't move right now.....you have bigger issues on your plate than the tv noise downstairs.

You're going to have a screaming baby here soon...it will drown out the tv noise for sure...I suggest you dont' rock the boat if you plan on staying for another year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or