Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 11:58 PM

22 posts, read 43,636 times

Advertisements

Hi we have not rented a home so unsure but here are the facts. We are selling our home we owned for 5 years and wanting to move to Nashville from Las vegas, nv. We will not have jobs when we get there but we will have savings to pay for a year or 6 months rent up front. We cant rent a apartment because we have a big dog that needs a yard and We are a family with 3 kids . We have great credit I am just worried with no jobs we will not be able to rent. Any info will help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 01:46 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
what good is paying up front for one year if next year the landlord thinks it will be an issue.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:58 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
No jobs and offering 6mhts rent up front is a HUGE red flag and very few landlords would accept that and state landlord/tenant laws might not allow it.

Good luck to you....it won't be an easy move without having jobs already lined up.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:07 AM

22 posts, read 43,636 times
thanks Kim in FL boy do I hear you!! I been a homemaker for the last 5 years and only worked weekends and my hubby is on workmans comp and is getting surgery for his back this month . So Right now not even sure what job he could do untill after surgery . Have no clue how people move across the US

Old 01-14-2014, 03:13 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
a lump sum of one years rent up front could cause tax implications in some cases putting that rent into a much higher tax bracket.

the only way i would rent to someone with no job is if they could show me lots of money in their account , years not months..

landlords have enough grief without taking tenants who live hand to mouth or who potentially can make their problems the landlords problem.

eventually job loss,divorce or illness become a landlords problem at one point or another but to knowingly walk into one of them is AN AMATUER move.
i am not saying you would be a problem BUT without knowing who you are dealing with there is limited criteria to judge by.

if i had a choice of someone with good credit and no job or good credit and a good job i would be crazy not to go with the person with a job.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:18 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tascher25 View Post
thanks Kim in FL boy do I hear you!! I been a homemaker for the last 5 years and only worked weekends and my hubby is on workmans comp and is getting surgery for his back this month . So Right now not even sure what job he could do untill after surgery . Have no clue how people move across the US
I suggest you stay right where you are and make it work. Your dh's WC claim is going to hinder his ability to get a job..sorry, but that's the truth.

We've made the move across the US twice...a) we had money b) we had jobs and homes lined up before one box was packed.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:02 AM

912 posts, read 5,258,613 times
No current job plus offering to pay up front and in advance is a HUGE red flag.

I wouldn't even return your calls.

What happens is that it makes it a nightmare to evict tenants who have paid in advance, so thats a big no-no for most reputable landlords.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:06 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Thumbs up my suggestion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascher25 View Post
Hi we have not rented a home so unsure but here are the facts. We are selling our home we owned for 5 years and wanting to move to Nashville from Las vegas, nv. We will not have jobs when we get there but we will have savings to pay for a year or 6 months rent up front. We cant rent a apartment because we have a big dog that needs a yard and We are a family with 3 kids . We have great credit I am just worried with no jobs we will not be able to rent. Any info will help
Hi Tascher...I would suggest you take this same info to a PM company and ask them. Personally, I wouldn't want to rent from anyone who wouldn't trust me w/good references, excellent credit and a positive mortgage history. Many families 'start over' and need a 'hands-up' and a little bit of faith. Follow your instincts. If you feel good about yourself and your family and your future prospects, I seriously doubt you will face any obstacles. Best of luck for a good New Year.
Koale

Old 01-14-2014, 11:07 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
If you don't mind a background check..."yes"!

We just got a request to allow a tenant to pay 6 months upfront but that request was to avoid a background check and that is a NO!!!!

Old 01-14-2014, 12:38 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
First point: workman's comp is income. You should be able to show the grant letter that states how much your husband is receiving each month.

I will accept people just moving into the area, who don't have jobs, as long as they have good references, good credit, and substantial savings. I automatically turn down anyone who offers me multiple months rent in advance. Inevitably, they are up to no good and hoping I will get greedy and not notice their *whatever* problem that makes them a bad prospect because I have been blinded by all the money.

I sometimes ask for a double deposit. I do ask what sort of job the applicant hopes to obtain.

If you have good credit and a healthy savings account, I predict that the big dog is going to cause you more problems than the lack of a job. I hope it is not one of the breeds on the insurance company's dangerous dog lists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting