Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 06:23 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,703,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigratingCoconut View Post
I think this is sound advice. But, I would like to ask the person asking the question, are both old and new landlord attempting to collect on a court settlement? Or did the old landlord say I'm done, I'm cutting my losses, this deadbeat tenant has a court order and STILL refuses to pay, so new landlord gets to deal with it?

Double dipping is the only way I can see needing clarification. If I am correct though, when a judgement is ordered, isn't all monies to go into a court escrow, and through the court system somehow so there's proof the judgment is paid?

^If that's correct, as I'm thinking out loud, I see where this guy would be confused. (Or girl)
Correct, it was not explained very well on who owed what to whom, etc., however, my only point was, IF the courts order a person to pay a judgment then who are we, or anyone else for that matter, qualified to question or debate it. Plus, I would think that the courts would obtain all of the facts before they would make a ruling. If the poster did not provide all of the information they needed to in order to help themselves in court to not be double charged then sure, they definitely have a problem.

If the poster wants to come back and explain further or in more detail that that is not what they meant or were asking, then they can surely do so but it appears to be just another hit-and-run poster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 10:06 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Noting this topic was resurrected from 2014, you owe rent to whichever parties you were legally notified to pay rent to, typically via notice sent from original landlord via certified mail. If you receive such a request from a party unknown to you, you should contact whoever you consider to be your present landlord.

If I were in such circumstances I would demand legal notice (certified mail) from the landlord of record on my present lease or month-to-month rental contract, informing me of transfer of ownership and instructions regarding new landlord.

Note that in most jurisdictions your current lease or month-to-month rental contract remains in force until potential new owner uses legal means to change the landlord-tenant agreement, which is subject to rental laws in your state or jurisdiction.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:25 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,703,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Noting this topic was resurrected from 2014, you owe rent to whichever parties you were legally notified to pay rent to, typically via notice sent from original landlord via certified mail. If you receive such a request from a party unknown to you, you should contact whoever you consider to be your present landlord.

If I were in such circumstances I would demand legal notice (certified mail) from the landlord of record on my present lease or month-to-month rental contract, informing me of transfer of ownership and instructions regarding new landlord.

Note that in most jurisdictions your current lease or month-to-month rental contract remains in force until potential new owner uses legal means to change the landlord-tenant agreement, which is subject to rental laws in your state or jurisdiction.
It was resurrected because a new poster asked a new question in post #10.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:40 AM

539 posts, read 566,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

Yeah, YOU are responding to a 2 year old question. Other 1 time posters have asked questions since then, and have been answered accordingly.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:44 AM

539 posts, read 566,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Correct, it was not explained very well on who owed what to whom, etc., however, my only point was, IF the courts order a person to pay a judgment then who are we, or anyone else for that matter, qualified to question or debate it. Plus, I would think that the courts would obtain all of the facts before they would make a ruling. If the poster did not provide all of the information they needed to in order to help themselves in court to not be double charged then sure, they definitely have a problem.

If the poster wants to come back and explain further or in more detail that that is not what they meant or were asking, then they can surely do so but it appears to be just another hit-and-run poster.
Yeah, with other thoughts aside, it seems like they're just trying to avoid paying all together. Like, because there's a new landlord, I don't have to pay the judgment, kind of thing.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,318 times
A slum Lord just bought the building I'm living in but I'm not under his lease I'm under the old landlord the stupid lady he got working for him don't know nothing about management and after other tenants sign his lease a month later she's changing stuff. first of all there's mold threw this hole building and they jacking the rent up and this building is so not worth it and some people had to throw there stuff out cuz of mold wht should I do

Old 05-09-2017, 02:53 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade5 View Post
A slum Lord just bought the building I'm living in but I'm not under his lease I'm under the old landlord the stupid lady he got working for him don't know nothing about management and after other tenants sign his lease a month later she's changing stuff. first of all there's mold threw this hole building and they jacking the rent up and this building is so not worth it and some people had to throw there stuff out cuz of mold wht should I do
What should you do? Move.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade5 View Post
Your old lease is still the lease you're under. If it's a month to month once the lease comes up for renewal they can demand a new lease agreement or notices are given.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:54 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie Girl View Post
I've never had this issue with the rentals we've bought, it's just a hypothetical that I'm curious about.

Let's say a landlord is selling a rental, and a tenant is behind on rent by a month, and the landlord hasn't proceeded with any notices/unlawful detainer action. Once the landlord sells the property, does the new landlord have any right or ability to demand the rent that was owed to the previous landlord, prior to this new owner owning the place? Or does the previous owner just forfeit the right to that rent money, and the new owner only worries about rent that is late after the purchase is complete?

DING DING DING that is a RED FLAG and is guaranteed to get a rental applicant rejected.

Never ever apply for a rental if you owe money to a previous or current landlord.

If a landlord is selling a property with one month of rent delinquent, the buyer (new landlord) acquires the value of that one month delinquency, and can demand payment (or ultimately deduct from security deposit, or sue in court). A property sale doesn't allow you to skip a month of paying rent.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:57 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie Girl View Post
I've never had this issue with the rentals we've bought, it's just a hypothetical that I'm curious about.

Let's say a landlord is selling a rental, and a tenant is behind on rent by a month, and the landlord hasn't proceeded with any notices/unlawful detainer action. Once the landlord sells the property, does the new landlord have any right or ability to demand the rent that was owed to the previous landlord, prior to this new owner owning the place? Or does the previous owner just forfeit the right to that rent money, and the new owner only worries about rent that is late after the purchase is complete?

If you're considering buying such a property, you would 'inherit' the existing tenants and rental agreements, so the existing tenant would owe you that month of delinquent rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting