Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 06:27 PM

3 posts, read 9,102 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to sign a new lease in the next month or so at a new place close to my work. I have excellent credit, no evictions, a salaried job, etc. This new place would require me to get a roommate because it is too pricey for me to afford on my own. Not a problem though because it is a 2 bedroom place. My issue though is my mom. She depends on me financially 100% as she has no job, no credit cards (so no credit), and no money in the bank (spent on my schooling). I understand that for legal purposes, the leasing company would require her to be on the lease, but I fear that they'll deny her because of her lack of credit and employment. She's in her 60s and will be collecting social security in the next few years, if that means anything. My question is: if I ask to put my mom on the lease, will she not be allowed to live there with me despite me being able to support her financially?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 06:32 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,777,191 times
If it to pricey and your mom depends on you 100% financially you cannot afford to live there. So how can you support her financially you do not even have the money to live there by yourself.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:34 PM

I can afford it with an extra roommate. In other words, one room would be occupied by my roommate and the other by my mother and I

Old 01-17-2014, 06:42 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,570 times
I dont think your mother will be denied. even though she is an adult and has to be on the lease, there is no requirement that all people on the lease have income/credit. my sons are in school and are adults and have no income or credit and they werent turned down as long as my income was 3 times the rent.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:12 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyaz5 View Post
I can afford it with an extra roommate. In other words, one room would be occupied by my roommate and the other by my mother and I
A new LL may not be amenable to listing your mother solely as an occupant rather than a signatory to the lease. Not to mention that finding a roommate who'd be interested in sharing a place with you and your mother (and how would the bills be divvied up?) might be a challenge.

It would be way simpler if you looked for a less expensive unit which you can afford without taking on the hassle of a roommate.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:49 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:

The three of you need to go in together and apply for the unit. Your mother is going to have to fill out an app and have a background check done just like you and the roommate.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:51 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
The three of you need to go in together and apply for the unit. Your mother is going to have to fill out an app and have a background check done just like you and the roommate.
I may be wrong but it seems that there isn't a roommate in the picture at all right now and the OP will be looking for someone.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:07 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I may be wrong but it seems that there isn't a roommate in the picture at all right now and the OP will be looking for someone.

Oh, I know...I just think they'd (op and mom) have a better chance of being approved if at least two of them were gainfully employed or have some sort of income.

I agree with the notion of finding a cheaper place..I know the OP can't handle the unit on their own, without a roommate, but can they handle 2/3 of the unit? I wouldn't think it would be fair to expect a roommate to pay more than 1/3 of their share...but that's just me and someone else might not mind doing it.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:23 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,777,191 times
Quote:
No you can not afford it if you could you would not be on here try to find a way to move into a place that says you can not afford to live here.. If your roommate just leaves one day you cannot afford it do you really want to put your mom in that situation. stop trying to live above your means

Old 01-18-2014, 10:43 AM

Thanks for all of the responses. There are a few reasons as to why I'm leaning towards this option:

1) it's across the street from my work, meaning I could walk to/from my work every day, saving gas money (it's a 3 minute walk)
2) it's cheaper for me to get a place like this rather than getting a place on my own (with my mom, of course)
3) it has a gym, so I can cancel my gym membership, also saving more money

I'm in the process of looking for a roommate, but am offering a great deal for the room given the area. Even with the amount id be paying to cover more than half of the rent, I'd still be saving at minimum $200/mo as compared to finding my own place sans extra roommate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting