U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2007, 04:23 PM

16,248 posts, read 22,249,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post
Does anyone have any little tricks they can share on how to spot if a landlords been in their apartment. I'm thinking about getting a spy cam that records when motion is detected but for now the only thing I can think of is putting a piece of paper in the door jam and was hoping someone might have something a litte more ingenious yet simple. I already know the laws in my state and that entering an apartment at will is considered illegal trespassing and can be prosecuted as such and I've let my landlord know that it won't be tolerated either but I still don't trust these people to keep out while I'm not home so any tips would be helpful, thanks.
Back when I was first renting I had a landlord actually come in to my apartment when I was not home and leave a note concerning the fact I had a bong on my living room table (purely decorative of course). I wrote him back a note that stated the following: Dear Mr Andersen: Thank you for stopping into my apartment today with no prior notification or authorization from me. May I inquire as to the nature of your visit? I think I do recall that you are supposed to let me know in advance should you desire to snoop in my apartment and since I pay my rent on time, that is not the issue. Furthermore thank you for pointing out flaws in my interior decorations. I have now relocated the offending item from the living room to my bedroom. As of today I have also changed the locks on both the front and back doors. Upon the termination of my occupancy, I will reinstall the orginal locks and return your keys to you. In the meantime, if I catch wind of you snooping around in my unit, I will break your Gawddam legs! Sincerely, Kev
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 04:31 PM

16,248 posts, read 22,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
First off, landlords need to get this: it is illegal to enter your tenant's apartment without giving notice unless it is an emergency.

I never knew this back in NY. Now in VT I make sure I know the law...and they take this very seriously in Vermont. I called up renters' rights several times because we are renting here and the landlord is trying to sell this place. Not that I care, but I don't want my lease to be null and void and my husband have to drag our stuff out of here. (by the way, the lease goes along with the house sale to the new owner unless the new owner offers to buy you out).

You can send your landlord a trespass letter from (I think) the sheriff if he or she is entering 'illegally.'

I don't know why anyone wants to play games. Tell him or her to keep out, that you know the law, and you will be contacting a lawyer if they enter illegally. (I suggest you find a new place..why be stressed out about your home?)

Call your renters' rights (try calling your state capital or googling it).
I had alot of problems with Mr Anderson- my first landlord. Not only did he snoop but once he even tried to say I could not have overnight female company and I promptly told him to kiss my ***. He tried to act as if he was my father or something and I told him "I already got a dad and he ain't you". Ever since him I have disliked landlords. It got so bad that me and him was gonna end up in a fight if I didn't move. So I gave him notice I was moving at the end of next month and I didn't pay the last moths rent because I did not wish to have to fight the man for my deposit back. Lesson learned was this: do NOT rent from a landlord that lives on the premisies.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:38 PM

27,251 posts, read 55,674,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
do NOT rent from a landlord that lives on the premisies.
Having an on site owner can be a blessing or a curse. I would not rule out living somewhere solely because the owner lived on site.

Some of the nicest small properties are owner occupied and the pride of ownership is very evident.

At least no one will be able to complain about Absentee Landlords.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:22 PM

7,688 posts, read 26,616,342 times
Quote:
Lesson learned was this: do NOT rent from a landlord that lives on the premisies.
Different strokes.. I'm moving back to my old place in part because the landlady did live on the premises and would realize when things were getting out of hand, because she would be affected by it just as much as I was!

Old 12-03-2007, 01:10 AM

7,731 posts, read 12,513,066 times
Quote:
Does anyone have any little tricks they can share on how to spot if a landlords been in their apartment. I'm thinking about getting a spy cam that records when motion is detected but for now the only thing I can think of is putting a piece of paper in the door jam and was hoping someone might have something a litte more ingenious yet simple. I already know the laws in my state and that entering an apartment at will is considered illegal trespassing and can be prosecuted as such and I've let my landlord know that it won't be tolerated either but I still don't trust these people to keep out while I'm not home so any tips would be helpful, thanks.
Landlords do have the right to enter your apartment if they have a good reason. When I moved into my apartment I spent the first night on the floor. The next morning at 7:30 AM the Manager and Maintenance man came over knocked one and came in and I was still on the floor asleep. I was a little upset but they did have the right to come in.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:15 AM

10,739 posts, read 32,787,680 times
I found out rather abruptly when living in an apartment that a maintenance man had made himself at home in my apartment at times when he thought I wasn't around. Each of them carried a master key that opened up EACH and EVERY apartment, they didn't have to check out a key WHEN and only IF there was a need. He made 900 calls on my phone, he hung up and watched TV (which I caught him doing) and apparently made use of my bathroom as well. I know he was because I came home and found the lid up and that he had no flushed. Since my cats were smart but not THAT smart, I concluded there had been a man in my apartment. After calling and finding there had been no work order to justify it, I called the police.

This is when it gets fun and crosses topics, I woke up one day to find this man in my apartment, he left quickly but not before I got a description. When the police tracked down who I had seen, they found he was an illegal immigrant and had fled, they didn't even know his real name. That was when I changed the locks on my apartment and told the rental office if they had to come in my apartment, they would have to call me.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:31 AM

783 posts, read 2,408,509 times
Quote:
Sending them to the mattress would be the best thing if you ask me but alias it's illegal/criminal.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I'd sue if my landlord entered MY home without my knowledge or consent. She may own the property, but I *live* there and my lease states that she cannot enter the property without giving me appropriate notification first.
True about the notification but alias the best thing is to
  1. Make sure you have all keys to your room if you are a house mate or to the flat/apartment if you are the lease holder.
  2. Change the locks to your domicile.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANA MANIA View Post
All The Above Are Great Ideas About How To Catch The Landlord And How To Consequence Him.one Thing, After You Warn Him ,sue Him, Photograph Him, Door Jam Him, Will You Be Ready To Move? Because He Isn't Going To Be Too Hospitable When He Has To Answer To His Tenant!
This happened to me and boy it wasn't a pleasant experience.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I had alot of problems with Mr Anderson- my first landlord. Not only did he snoop but once he even tried to say I could not have overnight female company and I promptly told him to kiss my ***. He tried to act as if he was my father or something and I told him "I already got a dad and he ain't you". Ever since him I have disliked landlords. It got so bad that me and him was gonna end up in a fight if I didn't move. So I gave him notice I was moving at the end of next month and I didn't pay the last moths rent because I did not wish to have to fight the man for my deposit back. Lesson learned was this: do NOT rent from a landlord that lives on the premisies.
Not always true wrt landlord leaving on premises. Nosey ones of course yes but soothing ones no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting