Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 01:31 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

Actually, a car being leased to you can be recaptured by the company at their discretion. Read your contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 01:37 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
By the same token, there are renters who don't care for the property, and let it run down. It's not "theirs" so they don't concern themselves with upkeep, taking care of it.

They move out, or are evicted, and there are holes in the walls, stains on the carpet, roaches all over the place (where you never had problems before), You want to make sure that the tenants are at least treating your property--again, YOUR property--with the utmost of care and not messing it up.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:33 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,404,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I found out rather abruptly when living in an apartment that a maintenance man had made himself at home in my apartment at times when he thought I wasn't around. Each of them carried a master key that opened up EACH and EVERY apartment, they didn't have to check out a key WHEN and only IF there was a need. He made 900 calls on my phone, he hung up and watched TV (which I caught him doing) and apparently made use of my bathroom as well. I know he was because I came home and found the lid up and that he had no flushed. Since my cats were smart but not THAT smart, I concluded there had been a man in my apartment. After calling and finding there had been no work order to justify it, I called the police.

This is when it gets fun and crosses topics, I woke up one day to find this man in my apartment, he left quickly but not before I got a description. When the police tracked down who I had seen, they found he was an illegal immigrant and had fled, they didn't even know his real name. That was when I changed the locks on my apartment and told the rental office if they had to come in my apartment, they would have to call me.
OMG ~~ how did he get into your apartment???

Old 05-24-2010, 06:50 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,404,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Oklahoma has a Immigration Bill "HB 1804" which prohibits LL's renting to Illegal Immigrants.
ALL states ought to adopt that bill.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:54 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Yes they own it but they are conveying that space under certain terms to the person leasing the property. Its my space now if I'm paying the rent and abiding by the terms of the lease get it.
No one would say its ok for a car company you are leasing a car from to sneak into your car and stick their pig snout into your car at home to make sure their car is ok. So why do property managers think its ok for them to essentially break and enter into a place more intimate than someones car.
And the terms of the lease usually, if not always, specify when the landlord can enter and under what conditions and how much notice is required under said conditions.

I don't think anyone is saying that a Landlord should be able to enter at any time they wish, but that the landlord owns the property (or is delegated by the landlord in the case of a property management company), and they should always have the MEANS to access the property in case of emergency.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:11 PM

1,538 posts, read 1,483,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And the terms of the lease usually, if not always, specify when the landlord can enter and under what conditions and how much notice is required under said conditions.

I don't think anyone is saying that a Landlord should be able to enter at any time they wish, but that the landlord owns the property (or is delegated by the landlord in the case of a property management company), and they should always have the MEANS to access the property in case of emergency.

Nobody's questioning them having the means to enter.

It's abusing that ability that's the issue.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:34 AM

10 posts, read 81,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
By the same token, there are renters who don't care for the property, and let it run down. It's not "theirs" so they don't concern themselves with upkeep, taking care of it.

They move out, or are evicted, and there are holes in the walls, stains on the carpet, roaches all over the place (where you never had problems before), You want to make sure that the tenants are at least treating your property--again, YOUR property--with the utmost of care and not messing it up.
Landlords are obligated to screen potential tenants prior to occupation -- not after. Do a thorough background during the screening process and you avoid many of the problems described in this thread. Owners not comfortable with the prospect of normal wear and tear on property should consider selling as opposed to renting, and those emotionally invested property should consider hiring a property manager. Either way, once a tenant moves in, they are protected by statutory privacy codes. They vary slightly in nature, but baring emergencies, at least 24 hours written notice must be given to enter a unit. In Washington State, landlords must give 48 hours notice. Please check your local code to avoid legal action by tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting