Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 10:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Tell the LL to give you all a 30 day notice. Then go back and move back in signing a new lease.
How can the LL give a 30 day notice on a term lease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 10:35 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
How can the LL give a 30 day notice on a term lease?
If you break any part of the lease he can demand you're out. A LL can break the lease just like a tenant can

Go paint a wall without permission cough cough wink wink

Last edited by Electrician4you; 01-22-2014 at 10:56 AM..

Old 01-22-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
If you break any part of the lease he can demand you're out. A LL can break the lease just like a tenant can
I understand - but where does the OP say that either signatory to the lease has broken any lease terms?

Old 01-22-2014, 10:48 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB282N View Post
My sister and I moved into our first rental earlier last year. We invited my sister's good friend to move in with us because, at the time, we all got along and thought it would be a good fit. Now our roomate has become a complete monster. She has no respect for us or our things; shes just a terrible person so were looking to get rid of her.

She's not on the lease as a lease-holder but as a occupant. She has no bills in her name attached to the house. We already called the police because she was freaking out at us one day and they said there was nothing they could do.

We also went down to the court house and they said essentially there was nothing they could do because the landlord would have to start the eviction process, which is $250 to start the process. We talked to our landlord and because she is an occupant they can not evict her. That it was basically up to us but no one is giving us any options.

Were grasping at straws here to try and get this figured out. Any tips or legal information provided would be a great help.
(We live in Marion County/Florida.)
Wait until she goes to work, throw all her possessions on the street and have the locks changed. It's not like she has any proof she lives there nor any legal recourse to try and gain re-entry on to the property. It works for a lot of parents when they are trying to deal with an unruly teenager.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I understand - but where does the OP say that either signatory to the lease has broken any lease terms?
She was asking how to remove the occupant tenant. The LL can't remove one tenant be used they are all on the lease as one entity. Unless the crazy one just voluntarily moves out the LL has to give them all a notice to vacate. Can't single just one out. One breaks the lease they all break the lease
Now maybe she can get a RO but that would require motive and goin to court. I don't think they want that. Unless they just bribe her to leave and resign new lease theire all stuck.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:25 AM

^^^ The offending roommate isn't on the lease, though. She's an occupant not a signatory to the lease. I can't imagine that there's not some provision in the law for the leaseholders to simply give her (as an occupant) 30 days notice. I'd suggest the OP consult with an attorney or with Legal Aid in their area.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
^^^ The offending roommate isn't on the lease, though. She's an occupant not a signatory to the lease. I can't imagine that there's not some provision in the law for the leaseholders to simply give her (as an occupant) 30 days notice. I'd suggest the OP consult with an attorney or with Legal Aid in their area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB282N View Post
She's not on the lease as a lease-holder but as a occupant. )
OP said this^^^^^. Looks like she is a occupant on the lease but not responsible for paying. Sort of like if you have kids. Named on lease as occupant but not legally responsible for payment. Maybe I misunderstood it and she simply lives there not on lease

Old 01-22-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
OP said this^^^^^. Looks like she is a occupant on the lease but not responsible for paying. Sort of like if you have kids. Named on lease as occupant but not legally responsible for payment. Maybe I misunderstood it and she simply lives there not on lease
There is a big difference between a tenant and an occupant. An occupant has no contractual obligation with the landlord even if listed on the lease as an approved occupant. It's always been my understanding that the tenant(s) can give an occupant the notice required under state law (usually 30 days but in some states less) which a LL would be required to give to a tenant on a month to month agreement.

This is what the OP needs to have clarified by a legal professional.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
There is a big difference between a tenant and an occupant. An occupant has no contractual obligation with the landlord even if listed on the lease as an approved occupant. It's always been my understanding that the tenant(s) can give an occupant the notice required under state law (usually 30 days but in some states less) which a LL would be required to give to a tenant on a month to month agreement.

This is what the OP needs to have clarified by a legal professional.

If she is named on the lease then the lease provisions apply to her. She just has no financial responsibility for payment. If you have a child they are occupants aren't they. They have no financial responsibility

But you're right she needs a professional to clarify how to go about it. I guess no good deed goes unpunished

Old 01-22-2014, 02:12 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
OP, have you actually asked her to leave? Have you tried giving her a 30 day notice to vacate?

She is listed as a resident in the lease, so you are going to have a difficult time getting rid of her if she refuses to go. She's there legally and has rights.

There is nothing that your landlord can do for you unless there are some severe lease violations, in which case, he can evict everybody, but I doubt that you want an eviction on your record.

Your problem is roommate politics, not landlord tenant issues. Have you gone to a good mean lawyer who specializes in real estate law to see what he has to recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting