Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 11:01 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times

Advertisements

I recently moved into a studio, that's part of the landlords private residence.
It's got a separate entryway, kitchen, etc.
There is no long term lease,
it's month to month.
My question is, does he have a legal right to come in without notification?
Since I've been there -
3 seperate times so far
(that I know of) he has been in my unit.
He either leaves something on the counter, or moves something so I know he's been in.
Being a private person,
I'm not too happy about that....
Is that legal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 11:04 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
Typically a landlord needs to give 24 hour notice unless there is an emergency. However, there may be different rules about rentals in private residences and each State has is own set of rules. Check out the rules for your State.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:37 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
I think it's pretty universal that LLs in general are required to give advance notice of entering a unit unless in case of emergency. Your state laws are probably linked in the first "sticky" on this page and you'll find the amount of notice required written therein. Entering at will is totally anathema to me and I only had the experience once when I obviously disturbed the nosy LL by coming home unexpectedly early and she didn't have time to lock the door behind her ... I mentioned it to her, she of course denied it but it didn't happen again and for a few months thereafter until I moved out I set little traps to be sure. Suggest you take the bull by the horns and tell him you're very uncomfortable with him entering the place and that if he wants to leave something for you you'd prefer him to let you know so you can pick it up from him.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:50 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times
Thanks for the replies,
it has been unnerving to say the least.
The thing is, he's not even trying to sneak in. He's left things for me, etc.
And he owns apartment buildings,
so I'm sure he knows the law.
Just another situation I've gotta contend with, I guess.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:00 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
What Kind of things? IF they are personal or Flowers candy etc that STALKING! MOVE! Contact the police! IF it things like Fixing the apt then its not its called upkeep! 24 hr notice not always nessary.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:02 PM

The problem arises when tenants accept the LL coming in at will and say nothing about it. He may well know the law but since nobody has said anything he's just become used to getting away with it. It's very unnerving to know someone's been in your place even if it's just to "leave you something" and you'll just have to be polite but blunt about it.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:05 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,557 times
It's a creepy thing to do, change your locks or move, you can't do what I did back in a day, I pulled my service weapon. lol.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:18 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
If you want 24 hour notice, find that section in the law, photocopy it, and send that along with a note to your landlord requesting 24 hour notice before he enters your space.

A little bit of reasonable communication can head off a lot of problems and hard feelings.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:52 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
I have a tenant over my work building. He pays a little below market rent, and I am almost unaware that he is there. If I've ever had to enter his apartment for an emergency, I call his cell phone first to let him know that I have to enter, and why. If he doesn't answer, I leave a message and enter, because it's an emergency.

My point is, when you live in the same bldg as the landlord, you really want to stay on good terms with him. Give him your cell #, and ask him to not enter without calling you first, and to give you a day's notice whenever possible.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post

My point is, when you live in the same bldg as the landlord, you really want to stay on good terms with him. Give him your cell #, and ask him to not enter without calling you first, and to give you a day's notice whenever possible.
Absolutely. There's nothing to be gained by firing off all barrels and everything to gain by being quietly polite about it. If an initial request doesn't solve the problem, then is the time to start copying landlord tenant laws and sending a request/demand in writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting