Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 05:58 PM

38 posts, read 96,648 times

Advertisements

I think your husband and the tenant is messing around, He have a nice soft spot in his heart for her

Old 02-14-2014, 07:41 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
I agree about the filter, if it's not written in the lease that it's the tenant's responsibility, then it's YOURS.

Why aren't you reporting all this stuff to section 8? Section 8 tenants are held to higher standards and if they are fighting with their landlord and causing issues it should be documented!

As for not wanting to pay for a property manager, really? At most you'd pay 10% of rental income. IMO if your husband wants to NOT have one, then HE needs to deal with the tenant. My mom asked me to take care of her property for her while she was out of country, after about 6 months (she was gone for 4 years) I threw my hands up and told my mom either it's a property manager or I leave the place empty.

The property manager was a blessing, no more stress, no more drama, I got my mom's property rented, and each month a check was mailed to me on the 10th, it was worth that 10% for SURE!

I mean seems like your husband wants you to deal with all the drama, is that 10% of money worth all your stress? You could probably find someone who is a PM who would do it for even less money.

I think for now you will probably be stuck with this tenant unless you go through section 8 and complain. If you can't get her out, when her lease is up, last month or two tell her you will not be renewing and she must find a tenancy elsewhere. And if she leaves damages beyond the deposit I'd take her to court (I guarantee she will).

We rented to section 8 tenants ONCE- never again, they trashed the place and we ended up spending just a month getting repairs done!

Old 02-14-2014, 08:39 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,586,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I agree about the filter, if it's not written in the lease that it's the tenant's responsibility, then it's YOURS.

Why aren't you reporting all this stuff to section 8? Section 8 tenants are held to higher standards and if they are fighting with their landlord and causing issues it should be documented!

As for not wanting to pay for a property manager, really? At most you'd pay 10% of rental income. IMO if your husband wants to NOT have one, then HE needs to deal with the tenant. My mom asked me to take care of her property for her while she was out of country, after about 6 months (she was gone for 4 years) I threw my hands up and told my mom either it's a property manager or I leave the place empty.

The property manager was a blessing, no more stress, no more drama, I got my mom's property rented, and each month a check was mailed to me on the 10th, it was worth that 10% for SURE!

I mean seems like your husband wants you to deal with all the drama, is that 10% of money worth all your stress? You could probably find someone who is a PM who would do it for even less money.

I think for now you will probably be stuck with this tenant unless you go through section 8 and complain. If you can't get her out, when her lease is up, last month or two tell her you will not be renewing and she must find a tenancy elsewhere. And if she leaves damages beyond the deposit I'd take her to court (I guarantee she will).

We rented to section 8 tenants ONCE- never again, they trashed the place and we ended up spending just a month getting repairs done!
So one tenant that YOU DIDNT CHOOSE PROPERLY trashed the place so you will never rent to a section 8 tenant again? What happens when a working person trashes the place or is a problem, you won't rent to them again either?

Old 02-14-2014, 08:46 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,586,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My advice is you need to fully understand your options and their ramifications.

Landlording is a business and as such the Landlord must always be professional or there will be a price to pay.

A tenant is often allowed leeway... a landlord isn't... especially when it comes to legal issues.

Saying your husband has limited time is not professional and comes across as weak.

Some people are very good at sensing discord and it sounds like your tenant has zeroed in regarding how you and your husband see the situation.

He may have real concerns about a vacant unit plus the cost to make repairs and your combined ability to have the financial resources necessary to go forward.

Section 8 is different and one of the biggest differences is those on the program are low income by definition... they are judgement proof in just about every aspect.

I no longer accept new Section 8 tenants... the rules have changed and I do just fine with conventional tenants... that said... I still have some legacy tenants with one going back to 1987.

I suggest legal guidance for your own protection...

One more thing... since you are operating a business... as distasteful as it might be, I have offered cash for keys or expedited move outs and my lawyer said it was a wise move on my part... maximize profit and cut losses.
You have stated your stance on not renting to section 8 before on here. Remember just because it's a problem for you and tough for landlords in your state doesn't mean all states are the same. Like I said the process for landlords in PA and NJ is easy. Rental assistance is controlled at the state level mostly and every state is different with the rules and regs.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:15 PM

38 posts, read 96,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
So one tenant that YOU DIDNT CHOOSE PROPERLY trashed the place so you will never rent to a section 8 tenant again? What happens when a working person trashes the place or is a problem, you won't rent to them again either?

Really the tenant didnt even trash it. What she described isnt nothing then regular wear and what should she expect with a tenant having 6 kids. there will be some light damage but not much.

I think she is just jealous over the husband liking the tenant and giving her favors. she need to deal with her husband

She need to learn to separate personal feelings and emotions from business. The 2 can never mix

Old 02-15-2014, 06:32 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post

You can sue and garnish wages on a working person....can you sue a sec8er living off of the govt? No, you can't....they dont' have enough income.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:34 AM

12,162 posts, read 2,959,937 times
If you got into a physical conflict with her and hubby is not on your side, then why the hell not. Ditch the tenant. Reconsider the hubby!

Old 02-15-2014, 06:36 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhogger View Post
Really the tenant didnt even trash it. What she described isnt nothing then regular wear and what should she expect with a tenant having 6 kids. there will be some light damage but not much.

I think she is just jealous over the husband liking the tenant and giving her favors. she need to deal with her husband

She need to learn to separate personal feelings and emotions from business. The 2 can never mix

I think you need to take your own advice..........aren't you the one with an outstanding balance of 3k to a landlord and are all up in arms because landlords wont' rent to those with evictions?

I'd never rent to a sec 8er nor would I rent to someone with an eviction and or judgment from former landlord. They aren't worth the risk or hassle.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:48 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Until OP and her husband are on the same page with regards to evicting the tenant, all the advice about how to evict the tenant is moot.

Step 1: Convince hubby the cost of repairs is likely going to exceed any profits and get him to agree to an eviction.

Also, expect that this particular tenant will destroy the house once she finds out you're evicting her. She sounds spiteful enough to do it.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:54 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhogger View Post
You consider holes in the walls (sheetrock), kicked in cabinet doors, and busted door frames normal wear and tear? You couldn't be more wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting