Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 10:31 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy5 View Post
I live in a 55 + community with limited first come first serve handicap parking spaces.
One of the tenants here takes up two handicap spaces for her parents care , whom no longer can drive but do have a handicap permit tag and the spot next to it for her car which she also has a handicap parking tag for as she drives her parents to appointments. She herself is not disabled.
I am disabled and there is no handicap spot left for me. Does. This tenant have a legal right to both spaces?
If the vehicles are displaying a legal handicap placard or plates, that vehicle has every right to be in a legal handicap parking spot. Now, if the operator of the vehicle is not the person issued those handicap plates for placard, they legally can not use those spots unless actually involved with the actual or planned pickup or drop off of the person who is handicap. However, each state is allowed to establish their own regulations related to the activity associated with the use of these spots, so you'll need to find out what rules apply in your state.

Now, if you are in need of a reserved parking spot specific to your disability, contact the management and make a formal Reasonable Accommodation request under the FHA Act with the details of your parking needs. Just because they have handicap spots doesn't mean you can't exercise your legal rights under the FH&A Act for a reserved parking spot to meet your handicap needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 285 times
I just moved into senior housing with a handicap parking permit . I live in building 1 and have to walk to building 3 to get to my car because they have no handicap parking in my area . Building one is away from the parking lot where the other units are so building 2. Three, and four have parking right in front of there building..is it mandatory to have handicap parking in or around the area

Old 01-24-2019, 08:22 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PUPPYDOGA312G View Post
I just moved into senior housing with a handicap parking permit . I live in building 1 and have to walk to building 3 to get to my car because they have no handicap parking in my area . Building one is away from the parking lot where the other units are so building 2. Three, and four have parking right in front of there building..is it mandatory to have handicap parking in or around the area
Not enough information. Didn't you understand this before choosing your unit? What are the differences between the building you are in and the others? Different rent? Different level of accessibility in your building in general?

Just a speculation, but the accessible parking requirement may be based on the entire complex, not each building individually. They may technically meet the requirement. There simply may not be enough of the designated spaces for all the residents who qualify for them at the present time. If there isn't a designated space at your building now, ask the management for Reasonable Accommodation. They may be able to mark a spot for you.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:01 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PUPPYDOGA312G View Post
First question, are there non-handicap parking spots available at your building you can use?

Second question, are the parking stalls (regular and handicap) assigned/reserved for specific tenants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting