Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 01:43 PM

2 posts, read 54,452 times

Advertisements

The point is not a yearly inspection as much as being judged on her housekeeping, I think. I have the same concern. My landlord just notified us that they will be doing an inspection which includes the closets and cabinets and that they should be "neat and tidy". Does a landlord have a right to tell me what is neat and tidy...maybe we define it differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 02:29 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terriaki View Post
I receive a notice from my landlord that they were going to be doing routine walk-thru inspection. I understand this and even welcome it, but then they tagged on a sentence that the inspection will cover housekeeping and they expect closets and cupboards to be neat and tidy. Do they have a right to tell me how I must keep my closets?
The landlord has the right to inspect to make sure you are not damaging the premises or creating a hazard of some sort, manufacturing drugs in the closet, etc. But has not right to judge the degree of your housework, as long as it is not creating a hazard.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:47 PM

2 posts, read 10,434 times
I have a question about yearly inspections. Got a notice about the building having a yearly inspection yesterday. It said between 1-5pm so I stayed home all afternoon and they didn't show up. Then at 5:20pm I get another note they are coming in tomorrow at 1-5pm. Now my question is this. I got the notice late 5:20pm and they want to come in at 1-5pm. Also they said it was the buildings yearly inspection but we are the only ones getting the notice??? I think they are snopping. I know the law I was a landlord for 12 yrs (sold all my properties). I know when I am getting stiffed. I don't think they are being honest and I don't know why. I think they believe we have a dishwasher but it is actually my mothers breathing machine.(she is sick and we hook it up to help her breath a couple of times a week) not going to get into that part. too private. but i want to just go to him and say...what the heck is up if you have a question just ask. dont snoop. all my neighbours have said they didn't get any notice. what im mad about is they didn't show up today then gave late notice for tomorrow. if they don't show up when they say there do i have to let them in tomorrow.? i only want answers from people with some knowledge and not just your opinion thx.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:37 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,516 times
Yes you do .. let them do a walk thru .. ( its not worth the fuss and fume your having ) but they cant fuss about medical equiment .. infact have it on the mother when they come in .. because they get all enbaressed and hurry thru because they dont want to disturb the sick folks ..

NOPE not kidding ..
Techonally its 24 hour written notice but if you do as I suggest you can make it quick and painless

Last edited by Faworki1947; 04-29-2014 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: added a thought

Old 04-30-2014, 06:11 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gots66 View Post
I have a question about yearly inspections. Got a notice about the building having a yearly inspection yesterday. It said between 1-5pm so I stayed home all afternoon and they didn't show up. Then at 5:20pm I get another note they are coming in tomorrow at 1-5pm. Now my question is this. I got the notice late 5:20pm and they want to come in at 1-5pm. Also they said it was the buildings yearly inspection but we are the only ones getting the notice???
I think they are snopping. I know the law I was a landlord for 12 yrs (sold all my properties). I know when I am getting stiffed. I don't think they are being honest and I don't know why. I think they believe we have a dishwasher but it is actually my mothers breathing machine.(she is sick and we hook it up to help her breath a couple of times a week) not going to get into that part. too private. but i want to just go to him and say...what the heck is up if you have a question just ask. dont snoop. all my neighbours have said they didn't get any notice. what im mad about is they didn't show up today then gave late notice for tomorrow. if they don't show up when they say there do i have to let them in tomorrow.? i only want answers from people with some knowledge and not just your opinion thx

So, let them snoop (the word is snooping, not snopping). You don't own the property..you rent it..therefore they have a right to come in and inspect it as long as they give proper notice.

What goes on with your neighbors is none of your business...unless you both signed a lease on the same day, your inspections aren't going to be on a same day, at the same time.

If you have nothing to hide, why are you so defensive? And unless that machine is hooked up to your kitchen sink there's no way they think it's a dishwasher and once they see it they'll know the difference.

And what are you getting stiffed with??? If your unit isn't filthy and full of clutter and wall to wall crap what do you have worry about?

Read your lease...I'm sure it covers what's expected of you as a tenant and how you're expected to keep your unit, so yes, the landlord CAN make comment in regards to your housekeeping 'skills' and give you a 3 day notice if they find it in bad enough shape.

You're just way too bent out of shape over this and as a former 'landlord' you should know better

Old 05-01-2014, 02:25 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
You are getting the inspection whether you want it or not. Life is easier if you are pleasant about things you can't change.

Let the landlord come in to check the plumbing for leaks, the smoke alarm, the furnace filters....

If you can't tolerate inspections, it is time to buy your own house.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 6,142 times
When I first moved in my HUD rental apartment the landlord was doing inspections every month. Aside from checking the apartment to make sure the apartment was in good order, it seemed like a cleaning inspection. Every piece of dust or spot on floor, every piece of lint on carpet etc. They ran their fingers across the rangehood and looking in my oven. Once i had little bits of salt and pepper in the stove' s drip pan that slightly missed the plate from my breakfast and was called out on that. Then there was an ever so slight layer of dust on the top of the water heater. I am told (by landlord) that he has to be the one to change the air filter. They look under the cabinets. I was wrote up because my spotless and shining bathroom sink had a couple of tiny white lines from the bubbles my hand soap left behind just an hour prior. This goes on every month! How do I find the guidelines of what they are and are not supposed to check? Sincerely, WhiteTyger

Old 05-19-2017, 08:00 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTyger View Post
When I first moved in my HUD rental apartment the landlord was doing inspections every month. Aside from checking the apartment to make sure the apartment was in good order, it seemed like a cleaning inspection. Every piece of dust or spot on floor, every piece of lint on carpet etc. They ran their fingers across the rangehood and looking in my oven. Once i had little bits of salt and pepper in the stove' s drip pan that slightly missed the plate from my breakfast and was called out on that. Then there was an ever so slight layer of dust on the top of the water heater. I am told (by landlord) that he has to be the one to change the air filter. They look under the cabinets. I was wrote up because my spotless and shining bathroom sink had a couple of tiny white lines from the bubbles my hand soap left behind just an hour prior. This goes on every month! How do I find the guidelines of what they are and are not supposed to check? Sincerely, WhiteTyger
It's their property so they can do what they want for the most part. Start looking to move when your lease is up if you aren't happy with their rules.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:22 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,869,118 times
You should have seen what a military base housing "white glove" inspection was like 50 years ago. Yes, they DID wear white gloves and they did run their fingers across the top of the doors to make sure you had dusted.

And you stood there and you said, "Thank you, sir, I'll take care of it right away, sir" or they'd take it out on your husband.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:25 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
They're permitted to inspect the premises, but cannot go through your personal belongings. So yes, they can open the closets, but they couldn't go looking through bags you have in there, or your dresser, night stand...etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting