Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 10:10 AM

15 posts, read 18,508 times

Advertisements

We have 2 apartments with children now in our 6plex. The get along well and have become friends. The tenant and children in apartment A have been here 2 years about, and the entire time up till a few weeks ago they were the only tenants with children. Apartment B has been here less then a month. Apartment A has their dad (kids grandfather) watch the children a couple days a week. Yesterday while all the kids were playing two of apartment A's kids did something wrong. The grandfather started yelling at 2 of the kids and then grabbed the boy's (age 7-8) arm kinda rough to pull him closer while he yelled. This was right in front of apartment B's children, and they got scared because they are not used to that type of punishment. I in no way want to tell someone how to raise their kids or grandkids, but when its scaring other peoples kids and worrying tenants I know something has to be done. I'm not sure this is child abuse really, so i dont want to cause isues by calling cps (believe me i will call if i ever see any kid being hit or neglected). Inside their apartment they can punish the kids how they want, but when it is outside in front of others it is different. Are there any recommendations for how to deal with this. Never had a problem with the dad who is the actual tenant with his kids, its just when granpa comes to babysit. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 10:26 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,438,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleybelley View Post
Are there any recommendations for how to deal with this.
This is NOT a LL:Tenant issue.
Child protective services or a parenthood counseling service? Maybe.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:34 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,393,156 times
Agreed. This is not your issue to deal with.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:43 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,418,810 times
Grandpa " grabbed the boy's (age 7-8) arm kinda rough to pull him closer while he yelled", the other children were "scared" and you seriously think "something has to be done"? If Grandpa was beating the smack out of the child then you might have a concern but in my opinion you should mind your own business.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:57 AM

912 posts, read 5,236,296 times
Mind your own business.

If grabbing an arm to get a kids attention "scares" the other children.. you may want to toughen them up a bit, or they'll forever loose their lunch money in school.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:57 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,223,174 times
Another one that says, "None of your business until, and unless, the children are being put into physical danger." If the tenant in Apt. B is complaining, simply agree with them politely that this is not how your raised your kids, but there is nothing you can do about it. That puts the ball in their court.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:08 AM

15 posts, read 18,508 times
Thank you for the feedback. I'm gonna let bygones be bygones at this point but if it gets any worse I'll anonymously report to cps. Guess there are some things ya just can't fix.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:43 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,066,538 times
To contradict several of the posters. If it starts creating work for you by having to deal with complaints or turnover from other tenants, then it becomes your business. Quite literally, when someone makes a decision that will cause you to receive less money, that is your business. Yes, it is his family, but you need to make the choices that will be right for you and your family. I don't think it is child abuse, I do think it is poor parenting. If you witness abuse (IE, he backhands the child across the face), you should call protective services and prepare to have them removed as tenants. I would not want to deal with keeping someone that might find out I was the one that reported their abuse.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:52 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,418,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleybelley View Post
Thank you for the feedback. I'm gonna let bygones be bygones at this point but if it gets any worse I'll anonymously report to cps. Guess there are some things ya just can't fix.
Oh please - anonymously report to CPS? As if they don't have enough on their plate dealing with real abuse cases. And if you ever see real abuse then have the balls to do it up front and not anonymously. if you're nervous that Gramps is going to come after you gnashing his dentures and waving his cane, CPS won't divulge information on who made the report but at least will be able to contact you for better information and to verify that the complaint is legitimate before putting the family though the mill.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:12 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,478,607 times
The grandpa did what needed to be done.
Leave them alone and let them raise their own children.

Children should not be sheltered from everything in life
that causes them discomfort or unpleasant feeling.

Let them toughen up and get used to it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting