Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 04:22 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsgirl View Post
I'm thinking of getting actual legal advice to keep my grounds covered.
You can certainly do that but how much easier it is to first of all put your concerns and demands in writing to the landlord. Let him know what's going on, remind him of the 24 hour notice requirement (you can quote the applicable statute chapter and verse). Tell him you're willing to work with him but you cannot be responsible for "showing" the unit to any prospective purchaser, you will not allow entry to anyone unaccompanied by his representative or agent and that if you are unable to be home at the previously arranged time, any viewing must be strictly supervised by that agent. That's essentially what an attorney would do for you for a few hundred dollars!

Your landlord doesn't have to be there but his agent does.

Leave the emotions out of it - what you "feel" is irrelevant. It's your landlord's property, he has every legal right to show it and you're legally bound to allow him access to do so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 10:09 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times
You need to write a letter this this manager immediately and assert your rights as a tenant. Do this certified, return receipt requested. Keep a copy and do the poor-man's copyright (mail letter to yourself at the same time and do not open it, the postmark will show when you sent the letter).

Tell him in no uncertain terms that you are more than willing to allow a showing with proper 24-hours advanced notice if this is what is stated in your lease. He is also to get his own key from the property owner as you will not be supplying your key any longer. You cannot jeopordize your work as a convenience to him.

If this clown is actually an attorney, he must not work in landlord-tenant law at all. If he did, he would know this just doesn't flush. And, as said earlier, leave the emotion out of it. I would also consider speaking with an attorney regarding this mess. All it might take is a letter on an attorney's letterhead to get him to straighten up and fly right.

Best of luck. Don't back down from this guy or you'll be his doormat.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:41 AM

701 posts, read 1,691,013 times
You might also consider locking up your valuables, taking dated videos of your belongings in the space, and then writing down the things you record so that you have proof, should you need it, of what you own. I know, that's an unlikely and unpleasant scenario, but as opposed to you putting your classwork in jeopardy to be at the apartment at the manager's beck and call it's worth considering.

You should not have to answer questions to prospective buyers about the place. Frankly, I can't imagine the owner would want his tenant answering questions (you might be too honest for his own good )!

Old 03-16-2014, 10:44 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
You need to write a letter this this manager immediately and assert your rights as a tenant.
No, to the LL, as pointed out in the earlier post preceding yours. The OP's lease is with his LL who is apparently not one and the same as the "leasing manager".

Old 03-16-2014, 02:06 PM

Heck, I'd send it to both.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:33 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
3 more months on your lease means you are moving in 3 months, right? Find another place to live so you can move as soon as your lease ends, or maybe a few weeks earlier to give time for moving/cleaning.

Check your current lease to see how many days in advance you need to notify your landlord that you are moving. Sometimes it's 60 days, which is right around the corner; other times it's 30 days notice. Go by what your current lease says.

You are making it a burden on yourself by demanding to be present for showings. However, if you feel strongly about this, tell them you must have 24 hour notice. If he calls with less notice, say "This is less than 24 hours notice, please reschedule the appt to allow 24 hour notice". Then stay silent. Keep doing this until he finally understands about 24 hr notice.

Check your lease now to see about the required notice for moving out.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:48 PM

986 posts, read 2,508,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsgirl View Post
....Now.. regarding the showings, it has been one hell of a nightmare. He regularly bothers me and pressures me to be home. Sometimes, I would cancel work, skip school JUST to show the house. I would like to be a compliant tenant, but sometimes, his pressuring crossed the line and was very offensive. However, I did do as MANY showings as I can- I hardly denied any showings. On top of this, he demands a key for the apartment. I live with a roommate and we ONLY have two keys. As we are going in and out of our apartment, we need our keys and have various things we need to do daily. I would hate for someone to walk in while I'm showering! On top of this, it just feels like my privacy is being invaded and trampled upon....
I think a door brace bar (e.g. Masterlock) is a must in any shared key situation. Even in the best of circumstances a rogue handyman could break in while you're sleeping, or the master key might be stolen. I doubt many apartment locks are "bump-proof," either.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:54 PM

You've been reading too many horror stories from someone who has a friend's cousin who.....

Yes, there have been instances where someone has come in and done things they shouldn't, but it is fairly rare. And those door braces are practically worthless. Had two houses with them get broken into and the braces were destroyed in the process.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:32 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
I would require 24 notice but I would lock up my valuables and wouldn't give a darn whether I was home or not when showings take place.

I was a renter once when the home was for sale. I often went to a neighbor's house when showings took place.

For one showing, I saw the agent sitting in the car in the driveway for at least 10 minutes while the man/woman buyers were left inside the house, alone. They eventually came out and got into the realtors car and they all left.

Last edited by sware2cod; 03-17-2014 at 08:48 AM..

Old 03-17-2014, 08:40 AM

728 posts, read 302,957 times
Why not just move out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting