Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 12:31 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,967,143 times

Advertisements

I have a property management company, and yesterday I had an unusual thing happen when I received a credit report from a perspective tenant.
I require all applicants to furnish a current report along with their rental application.
The report listed the findings from the three major credit reporting agencies.
What amazed me is on the last page, all of the agencies gave the same exact credit score, which was close to 800.
I called the applicant regarding the score, and she stated I can only tell you I have good credit.
In all my years in this business, I have never seen this on any report.
I know the three agencies don't always have the same information at a particular time, so this report raised a red flag, and I suggested the applicant go straight to one of the agencies and get just one complete report.
She refused, and again, another red flag.
I think this report was bogus, so I turned her down for a rental.
I then went online to see if this event happens frequently, and on two different sites, the opinion was that one would have a better chance of winning the lottery than having all three scores match exactly.
Has this ever happened to those of you in the business of running credit checks?

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 12:52 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,965,190 times
I have never seen a renter submit the exact same scores. Nor have I seen it in my own personal life from many people who have had me review their credit. Very fishy indeed.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:42 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I require all applicants to furnish a current report along with their rental application.
Don't do that.
Source your own documents and do it the same way every time.

Quote:
I have a property management company...
I don't think you do. Or at lest not one I'd hire.
Fine a new PM or do it yourself.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Don't do that.
Source your own documents and do it the same way every time.

I don't think you do. Or at lest not one I'd hire.
Fine a new PM or do it yourself.
I'M not looking for wise a$$ remarks, just trying to find out if 3 matching credit scores are unusual.
Bob.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:04 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,266 times
I'd be suspicious as well. Even more so after the applicant refused to check into it further.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:22 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Calguy -- I'm not sure if I am right anymore, I've been out of the financial business for sixteen years -- when we pulled credit reports they didn't come with a credit score, the credit score was extra and it came from ONE place, and they used data from all three companies. So it wouldn't surprise me for three credit reports to have the same score, because when I was in banking a FICO was from FICO, it wasn't attached to a single report.

I do agree with Mr Rational, though -- this sounds fishy, and I'd have my prop. mgmt. Co. pull a new report for you. People dummy up stuff all the time.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:41 PM

I would like to thank all who responded to this thread.
Bob.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:44 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,844 times
Charge a $50 application fee for a credit report and get your own.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:57 PM

39 posts, read 82,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Charge a $50 application fee for a credit report and get your own.
I have had landlords charge me an application fee. They checked my credit and did a background check and they contacted my employer for verification of employment/income. Some will even ask to see pay stubs or your W2 or 1099 what ever tax document you get.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:11 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I run my credit reports every year for free online, and the scores are never the same. They calculate their scores in different ways, so I don't see how they would ever all be the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting