Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 09:29 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,479,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstras898 View Post
My wife, kids and I moved into a home on February 1st. We are renting of course. But anyways about half way through our second month living here the downstairs bathroom floods and flows out into our living area also. We contacted our land lord and she came out with her "handy man" to see what the problem was. He dumped some drano down the toilet. Next day the same thing happens. It took till today April first to have a real plumber come out, put a camera down the drain, find the problem and fix it. Shes a nice lady. But should I have to pay another full months rent when I have not been able to use my washer, dryer and being really cautious with our showers/baths and of course our down stairs. Its a finished down stairs with a really big living area/play room and a full bathroom with our laundry room in it. We are in minnesota. Is there any legal rights I have? Or should I just pay the full months rents for only being able to use 2/3rds of our home. Please give me some input. Thanks.
Withholding rent is usually not an option in cases like yours. However, if your landlady does not make repairs in a timely fashion, you may be able to deduct the cost of those repairs from your rent going forward. It really depends on what your local landlord/tenant ordinances allow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 10:58 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,462,930 times
I would agree. The LL was responsive and dealt with the problem. They tried a fix which didn't work, and needed an actual plumber. How much time passed between when you informed them that the temporary fix didn't work and when the plumber came out?

2 weeks (from Mid March to April 1st) is reasonable for a major repair, like removing tree roots from pipes.

But I also think it would be reasonable for the landlord to agree to a slight reduction. Maybe 10% off the rent for 1 month.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:27 PM

400 posts, read 793,138 times
I was going to write something, but it doesn't sound like your apartment was uninhabitable during that time. As somebody pointed out, she did respond in a timely manner. (At first, I understood that it took a month and a half to get the problem fixed, but it was only a couple weeks).
Frankly, I'd say to pay the whole rent. I don't think it's worth the trouble to see if you can get away with paying only 1/2 the rent for a stinky carpet. Life happens.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:08 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,206,866 times
Don't withhold rent, but I would be concerned about mold if no remediation has been done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting