Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,587 times

Advertisements

Hello, all.

I moved into my first apartment (actually, condo. They are individually owned units with a few different realty companies renting them out.) a few months ago. I already know some things that I will be sure to do next time I rent a place. I did not do a pre-move-in inspection with the landlord. I had seen the apartment, but I did not pay attention to the details. I was too excited and full of assumptions.

In any case, when it came time to move-in, I did take a closer look before taking possession. There were a number of issues. A rusted out water heater, a severe plumbing leak, a broken window, walls/doors that hadn't been repainted in years, no smoke detectors, no towel racks, no screens, torn screens, and non-functioning but whole windows.

I contacted the realtor (they are renting it out for the landlord, so I am dealing with them), and they did their own inspection without me. They did some painting, taped over the holes in the screens, put towel racks in, put in smoke detectors, replaced the water heater, fixed the plumbing leak. I was asked not to move in until the work was completed, and my rent was prorated for a few days. The a/c also broke the second day after I took possession, and they fixed it immediately.

I'm not unhappy with the place. I plan on staying here beyond this first year as long as they don't try to raise the rent too much if they renew my lease. I wouldn't quite call them slumlords, and the lady who handles all the communication is very nice and clearly overworked.

My issues now: Lockbox is still on my front door. Windows are still non-functional and missing screens. I've spoken to them about both issues twice since taking possession. I have jalousie windows on my patio. Those are the windows that I want fixed; I'm willing to overlook the others inside the apartment. I was told the window guy would contact me (twice), but he never has. I also know that jalousie windows use parts that are hard to come by, so I wonder if they really have any intention of fixing them. It sucks not being able to get fresh air on my patio.

Window guy has never called, lockbox is still there. I just want a breeze! At this point, I was considering putting it into writing and giving them my requests on paper (keeping a copy for myself) when I pay rent next. I also am pretty sure, due to the area, that most tenants in here do not care about any of these issues and that I've become I'm a bit of a pain in the ass for them.

How big are these issues? Am I being too lenient on these people? My rent is cheap, and I am afraid that if I keep asking for repairs, they will try to price me out of the apartment come next year. I really do want to stay here. Florida rental, by the way.

Also, there is a clause in my lease that says I am responsible for extermination. I have seen no evidence of pests, and I am very clean. I do worry about a neighbor with an infestation leading to a problem in the future. Trust me, I am positive someone in this place has bedbugs or roaches. It's not exactly the nicest part of town. If someone does have an infestation in the future that leads to bugs spilling over into my unit, am I powerless?

Last edited by Krandy06; 04-02-2014 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 09:44 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krandy06 View Post
1. ... putting it into writing and giving them my requests on paper (keeping a copy for myself) when I pay rent next.
2. Also, there is a clause in my lease that says I am responsible for extermination. I have seen no evidence of pests, and I am very clean. I do worry about a neighbor with an infestation leading to a problem in the future. Trust me, I am positive someone in this place has bedbugs or roaches. It's not exactly the nicest part of town. If someone does have an infestation in the future that leads to bugs spilling over into my unit, am I powerless?
1. All maintenance requests should be put in writing in order that you have yourself covered in event of any disputes either at the time or when your lease comes to an end and you're looking fir the return of your security deposit. It would be a really good idea if you went to the first "sticky" on this forum and find the link to FLA landlord tenant laws and read them carefully so you have a better understanding of what's legally required of both tenants and landlords.

2. I don't know how you can be "positive" that there are bedbugs in the complex. There probably are roaches and if you come across any sneaking around then the best product I've found is the Combat paste. A few small dabs here and there eradicate them almost immediately. Repeat as necessary.

Bedbugs are a whole different issue and if one unit is infested then usually they're in all units and all units have to be treated which is the responsibility of the landlord in such a case. There have been several threads on this forum addressing that problem.

Good luck!

Old 04-02-2014, 09:53 AM

986 posts, read 1,865,956 times
I'm kind of a believer in "you get what you pay for". You say the rent is cheap. Then you should expect that the place isn't going to be perfect. I don't think a few non-functioning windows and old paint is a deal breaker, as long as it's not a safety issue. I would think that working windows might be a legal safety issue (in case of fire, could you escape a room?). As long as there's one window in each room that functions, I would think the landlord doesn't have to fix, but are there rooms where there are no working windows?

Put everything in writing.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:11 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
It sounds like they did do most of the work, much of which should have been done before they rented it. Weird that they can't come by and take off the lockbox, that is on the realtor.

I would not complain too much about small things, but if you were told a window guy is to contact you about the nonfunctional windows then that should happen. Put request in writing, and if it doesn't happen, you will have to live with it or move after the lease is up.

Cheap rent usually comes with some inconveniences. I give discounts to people who take care of maintenance themselves, but would never rent out a place not in good working condition. If I would or could not fix those patio windows, I would inform the tenant that those don't open before they signed the lease. Again, cheap rent though, sometimes you just pick your battles.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,587 times
Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to mention that none of the window locks function, but that seems to be the case with almost all of my neighbors. Everyone has some sort of stick or pipe or board that prevents someone from opening the window from the outside. I also have electrical outlets that do not work or do not work well. For example, I plug a lamp or fan into one of these outlets, and it turns on and off. I just don't use those outlets. I haven't mentioned this to the realtor.

Last edited by Krandy06; 04-02-2014 at 11:54 AM..

Old 04-02-2014, 11:55 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
No landlord tenant laws that I know of address window screens. The only issue that comes up with them is if the LL, when you vacate, tries to deduct from your security deposit for damaged screens which were in that condition when you moved in. One of the reasons why it's wise to take extensive photographs of the unit before you move in so that you have back-up if later disputes arise.

If your state laws mandate that all windows must have locks then all windows must have locks and this is the LL's responsibility. You've already been told that someone is coming out to take care of that so there's nothing remotely troublesome about you following up on that. They probably don't even know that the "window guy" hasn't shown up so you need to advise them accordingly. Good luck!

I don't know what to tell you about the lockbox as I've never dealt with them but when you follow up today on your window repairs then ask about that too. Property managers don't know what's wrong until you tell them! It sounds as though they've been very responsive so far.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:51 AM

218 posts, read 775,404 times
Wanted to ask another question in regards to this - I have researched and it looks like LL are not obligated to replace/change screens once a place has been rented (California).

However I have also read that IF the screens are ripped or have holes in them, thus letting flies and so on in the house - the LL IS responsible.

Can the LL experts on here please confirm which is true?

I'm thinking that it's at the LL's discretion IF he wants to change/replace/repair them - please advise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting