Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 09:25 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
That's for sure.

It was too early to open a bottle of wine.
Never!! Surely it was 5 o'clock somewhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
This isn't really a college student thing. I've had "mature" working adults try similar unpleasant self centered behavior on me.

However, I only rent month to month, so I tend to give them their notice to vacate, on the grounds that "they aren't happy here".
^^^^^This all the way. How I handled people like this, after explaining that 8:00 a.m. is a legal time to start making construction noise in this city, and you were given notice it would happen... was to say, well, you're only on a month-to-month agreement, so if you're unhappy here, all you have to do is give me 30 days notice. In fact, if you find a place sooner, I'll even waive the 30 day requirement.

Then watch them backpedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
As a 25 year old student who looks 22 and has been taking care of herself since the age of 17....you don't know her background or her situation. Just because someone is a student doesn't mean they deserve any less respect than a middle-aged or menopausal raging b word.

10 years from now she could be a doctor, a lawyer, or even in politics and you will just be the scumbag she encountered when she was trying to advocate for her roommate.
Where did you get that this tenant was being given less respect than anyone else. She was given equal treatment to the other tenants. She wanted SPECIAL treatment. Because she's SPECIAL, the LL should halt all construction?

So, in 10 years when she's a doctor, she should put up with a patient who shows up 3 hours late and demands to be seen anyway?

Or when she's a lawyer, and her client doesn't want to pay the bill because they want to go on vacation, she'll say, oh sure honey, your vacation is far more important than my mortgage payment. Bon voyage!"

Or when she's a congresswoman whining because "It's not FAIR that I can't accept as many contributions from one person as they're willing to give to me. I have EXPENSES here! WHAT? Why are you putting handcuffs on me???!!!

And she'll remember that scumbag LL who actually had the gall to tell her the world doesn't revolve around her roommate's sleep schedule....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 11:12 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
As a 25 year old student who looks 22 and has been taking care of herself since the age of 17....you don't know her background or her situation. Just because someone is a student doesn't mean they deserve any less respect than a middle-aged or menopausal raging b word.

10 years from now she could be a doctor, a lawyer, or even in politics and you will just be the scumbag she encountered when she was trying to advocate for her roommate.

1st off buttercup, what does your looks have to do with the price of tea in China? My gripe with your post, is that you got pizzed because you assumed the OP generalized all young students. So what did you do? YOU generalized all menopausal women as beyotch's. Personally, I think when we older women are no longer ragging like you "youngins", we can be real sweethearts.

So MAYBE the student will become a doctor, but right now the OP IS the LL. Being, trumps might be. Got it?

Old 04-12-2014, 03:55 AM

896 posts, read 1,140,273 times
Is the 2014-2015 lease signed? If not, rescind your offer to renew the lease to them. Just a thought.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:27 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
.........., so what would it hurt waiting another month until the semester is over?
Landlords, and home owners, and businesses, and city governments don't really get to schedule work exactly when they want it. The contractors (if they are any good) are busy and they have schedules that you must be fit into. Weather plays a big influence on outdoor work.

You can't just call the contractor of your choice and tell him to show up on Tuesday and then call the weatherman and order up perfect weather. Contractors can be booked up months in advance and everybody goes off schedule if the weather turns bad.

In OP's case, he had a legal deadline. There's very little that can be done about that, either.

At some point in their lives, students need to learn that the world doesn't revolve around them. Also, getting aggressively unpleasant with the landlord is generally not the best life plan. Spoiled little temper tantrums might work on the parents, but generally don't get you too far with the rest of the world.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:03 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
Is the 2014-2015 lease signed? If not, rescind your offer to renew the lease to them. Just a thought.
Good thought, but it is.

I gave her a week to re-consider- and I will be calling her on Thursday to remind her of my offer AND the fact that we will be having landscaping done, trees cut down and the front porch replaced over the summer.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:51 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
Sawdustmaker, I'll be the first to tell you that wine is made of grapes. Grapes are a fruit. Fruit is good for you and doctors recommend eating as much fruit as you can. I see no reason why drinking your fruit is taboo at any time of the day. It's healthy.

You handled this with far more grace than I would have. I do believe I would have lit into her about as fast as I could have. I would have also hand delivered a set of appropriate papers to file at the court. Don't threaten a lawsuit and then back off. After all, you know everything. Right?

As far as the thing about telling maintenance to leave because they wanted to get lunch. I've got a 2-word, 7-letter phrase that sums that right up. You want me to come fix something and it's "urgent", you don't get to tell me to come back later. Especially if it is cosmetic or a habitability issue. I've got one like that right now (a little popcorn texture on the ceiling came off for one reason or another).

Immature for her age? lol That's exactly what that is. I hate renting to students. Especially law students. Worse than that is 1st year law students.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:06 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
1st off buttercup, what does your looks have to do with the price of tea in China? My gripe with your post, is that you got pizzed because you assumed the OP generalized all young students. So what did you do? YOU generalized all menopausal women as beyotch's. Personally, I think when we older women are no longer ragging like you "youngins", we can be real sweethearts.

So MAYBE the student will become a doctor, but right now the OP IS the LL. Being, trumps might be. Got it?

LOL The age comment made me laugh too.....just about every 25 yr old I know looks 22 so really it's not much to brag about!

This student, like millions of others her age, has that great entitlement attitude that is going to further run this country into the ground. They need pull their heads out of their asses and realize no one owes them anything and they really aren't as special and entitled as they think they are.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:32 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Why would you rent to them again if they are so difficult to work with?
Some people take longer than others to learn that the world doesn't revolve around them, and that most of the world considers 8:00 AM a reasonable time to start work.
Some people take longer than others to realize that throwing a temper tantrum over a business relationship not proceeding how you want it to doesn't work, and that they have to meet their ll halfway sometimes.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:42 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,353 times
Pear is just angry because they can't find a place to live for themselves....but it's all the rude realtors' fault.

Realtors are dropping me the second I mention my dog...what next?

Old 04-17-2014, 01:30 PM

521 posts, read 860,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
This student, like millions of others her age, has that great entitlement attitude that is going to further run this country into the ground. They need pull their heads out of their asses and realize no one owes them anything and they really aren't as special and entitled as they think they are.
Sounds like many baby boomers I know.

Further run this country into the ground? Please run for office to stop the madness! What's the average age of congress again?

Bottom line, some people feel entitled, some don't. It's not an age thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting