Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2014, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,207 times

Advertisements

Hi guys.

I really think I am living with a crazy, weirdo and rude upstairs neighbor and I want you guys to confirm if i am right or not.

This guy(or woman) came here like few months ago. He/She was quiet for like one month, but after that he turned on EDM(Electro House thing) music after midnight more than 4 days in a week. He has state-of-the-art Music system, thus I could feel and hear the music in anyplace in my property.
I talked to the office guys in my apartment two times and finally they stopped doing that. But unfortunately,
Upper stair guys started partying with his fellow friends and do things like STOMPING and YELLING. I hear weird STOMPING sounds and i assume they are playing basketball or something (The sound is pretty similar to when we dribble in a basketball game).

Am I the one who is too sensitive? or the **** upper floor guy is doing really wrong. If i am right i am gonna call the police or talk with the office seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 11:02 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
Look up the city noise ordinance for your area. If they are making obstructive levels of noise after certain hours you have every right to report it.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:02 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
The first step is to let your LL know in writing (or at least follow up an in-person office visit with a confirming email) and let him address the problem. The very last resort is calling the police and only when all else has failed.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:55 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
For the music and partying you can call the police and complain, but for the 'stomping'..that's a tough one because unless you can prove they are playing basketball in the house after midnight, there isn't much anyone can do. You have no idea what the stomping is and to expect total silence in an apt building is a bit much.

I also suggest making sure you're putting your complaints, to your landlord, in writing and letting them know that you will be calling the police for the loud music and parties.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:46 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
For the music and partying you can call the police and complain, but for the 'stomping'..that's a tough one because unless you can prove they are playing basketball in the house after midnight, there isn't much anyone can do. You have no idea what the stomping is and to expect total silence in an apt building is a bit much.

I also suggest making sure you're putting your complaints, to your landlord, in writing and letting them know that you will be calling the police for the loud music and parties.
Agree. And you might want to ask if you can be moved to a top floor unit. Before I moved to where I am now, I lived under a guy who paced really forcefully back and forth, sometimes 24/7. Was manic or something. But, none of the noise was anything that was against the law, and even though I was the apartment manger - lol - I couldn't kick him out for being a pacer. I asked him to tone it down, he ignored me. So, I got a big fan that helped to drown it out and watched movies with headphones. Misery.

So, it's possible there will be nothing you can do except move. Always move to the top floor if possible. Some places are just not built well, and any walking around on top of your head is going to seem so much louder and annoying than anyone walking around below you.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:38 PM

66 posts, read 214,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Agree. And you might want to ask if you can be moved to a top floor unit. Before I moved to where I am now, I lived under a guy who paced really forcefully back and forth, sometimes 24/7. Was manic or something. But, none of the noise was anything that was against the law, and even though I was the apartment manger - lol - I couldn't kick him out for being a pacer. I asked him to tone it down, he ignored me. So, I got a big fan that helped to drown it out and watched movies with headphones. Misery.

So, it's possible there will be nothing you can do except move. Always move to the top floor if possible. Some places are just not built well, and any walking around on top of your head is going to seem so much louder and annoying than anyone walking around below you.
I have a roku player that came with a remote that has headphones that plug into it. Its like being inside my own little movie theater. lol. I like it so much I actually prefer watching the tv with the headphones now and wont watch it any other way. I am able to turn up the volume as much as I want without disturbing anyone else around me in the building.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:11 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
When we rented our 1st apt after Decades of home ownership I thought I was going Crazy! Every nite when ALL the lights were out upstairs I would here these strange noises LOUD pingings & Balls being bounced across the floor! One day about 2 weeks after we lived there & ran into the upstairs neighbor... I told her the noises I was hearing. She couldn't figure it out either. A nite or 2 latter it stopped. Well about 3 days after we saw each out side. She told me was her CAT'S balls & her jumping around playing was what I was hearing!! Once she figured out what I was hearing she took the cat's toys away.... I told her it as ok just give them back .... now that I knew what it was it never bothered me again LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting