Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 765 times

Advertisements

Its my first time searching for roomates and would really appreciate any advice!!

I am doung research on what is the best, safest, and most reliable way to search for roomates. My biggest issue is that it was instilled in me that from making friends online to searching from roomates on an add is the most dangerous and never works out. I have heard of friends who have or have had friends who have done this and has worked out for them, so I am more thanwhilling to give it a try, however i am scared, and very unsure on how to do this.

I only have a few friends, but none that i can count on moving out with. So searching for one its my only option.

What is the best way to search?
What websites have proven to give the best outcome?
How do i know if the person who put the add is not being fony?

I dont have my apt yet, i would also be a first timer at that. I am looking for independe; how do i go about this, with out even having a place yet?

If anyone can share their experience i would appreciate the support and all the advice i can get.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 11:32 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
I would first ask those friends if THEY know anyone. No guarantees it would work out, but probably a better chance for roommate success than with a total stranger.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:50 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
I'd advise you to look at college students as roommates. They'd be the same age, and not likely to be axe murderers :-)

Do a google search for the nearest college and "off campus housing listings" to see if they have an online listing of students looking for roommates off campus.

If they don't have these listings available online, call the college and ask where students put up messages looking for roommates on campus. Then go there and write down a bunch of numbers, call them and go meet them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting