Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 01:48 PM

15 posts, read 53,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
1. That's not the point I was making. Re-read what I wrote about June's rent in my last post, second paragraph last sentence.

2. Again, re-read what I wrote about your security deposit, post #3 second paragraph..

I called the leasing office again asking them whether they allow sub-lease and they said that tenants CANNOT sublease. So does it mean that the entire sublease thing is illegal?

I really want to sit down and talk to her figuring out what is going to do. But i dont think that what she said is trustworthy.

Thanks for your advice, really appreciate that!!

Joyce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 02:05 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepapillon_elizabeth View Post
I called the leasing office again asking them whether they allow sub-lease and they said that tenants CANNOT sublease. So does it mean that the entire sublease thing is illegal?
What did you sign with the leasing office? Were you given a copy of it? Suggest you go to the leasing office in person and find out exactly what you signed, what you're responsible for and until when; and tell them that the tenant has told you she is planning on leaving in May and what does that mean as far as your continued commitment under the lease until the end of June.

If your roommate is leaving in May and your June rent isn't payable until June 1 then don't pay her for June's rent. If she's not permitted to sublease then your agreement with her is null and void.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
What did you sign with the leasing office? Were you given a copy of it? Suggest you go to the leasing office in person and find out exactly what you signed, what you're responsible for and until when; and tell them that the tenant has told you she is planning on leaving in May and what does that mean as far as your continued commitment under the lease until the end of June.

If your roommate is leaving in May and your June rent isn't payable until June 1 then don't pay her for June's rent. If she's not permitted to sublease then your agreement with her is null and void.
What I signed with the leasing office is that I will stay until June 30th and She and I are both lease holders until June 30th and after June 30th, I am released and she will be the only lease holder after then. So its like I joined her lease but only stay up to June while she will stay till Nov.

Yes, I have a copy of it and from which I found out the fact that she only paid $250 deposit to the leasing office.
I should've carefully read that before signing anything in the first place.

I talked to the leasing manager and she said that since I gave the deposit to her, so they cannot interfere our personal agreement and stuff. But you are right, they said that she cannot leave the middle of May, even she leaves, she will still need to pay rent as usual. They charge from her card monthly I guess.
I confirmed that she is not permitted to sublease. So its already illegal the sublease thing, not to mention asking for deposit from me. and on June 30th, I don't even need to get her permission and stuff, I just need to return the key and I am free.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:02 PM

Your issue is still going to be that even if you don't pay your roommate for June's rent - which you say is the amount you gave her as a security deposit - YOU will be liable to the landlord for the total rent for the month of June if your roommate doesn't pay it. Her liability to the landlord for the remainder of the lease is not your concern. June's rent is because until the end of June you are a cosignatory to the lease and have agreed to all its terms and conditions.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Your issue is still going to be that even if you don't pay your roommate for June's rent - which you say is the amount you gave her as a security deposit - YOU will be liable to the landlord for the total rent for the month of June if your roommate doesn't pay it. Her liability to the landlord for the remainder of the lease is not your concern. June's rent is because until the end of June you are a cosignatory to the lease and have agreed to all its terms and conditions.
Correct, omg.. what should I do?

Old 04-18-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Correct, omg.. what should I do?
Exactly as I suggested earlier. Make an appointment to go and see the property manager in person and ask how it will affect you where June's rent is concerned if the roommate skips without paying it. That's what you need to know right now and there should be no reason for them not to tell you since you're a signatory to the lease.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Exactly as I suggested earlier. Make an appointment to go and see the property manager in person and ask how it will affect you where June's rent is concerned if the roommate skips without paying it. That's what you need to know right now and there should be no reason for them not to tell you since you're a signatory to the lease.
Thank you sooo much for all your comments and advice, really appreciate that!!! I will go to see them in person tomorrow. Happy easter!

Old 04-18-2014, 10:26 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
Quote:
I confirmed that she is not permitted to sublease. So its already illegal the sublease thing, not to mention asking for deposit from me. and on June 30th, I don't even need to get her permission and stuff, I just need to return the key and I am free.
I don't think the relationship you have right now is a sublease. You are on a lease with the complex and you were approved. I imagine what they mean is you cannot bring a person in to take over your lease without LL approval and some sort of written agreement with them.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I don't think the relationship you have right now is a sublease. You are on a lease with the complex and you were approved. I imagine what they mean is you cannot bring a person in to take over your lease without LL approval and some sort of written agreement with them.
She already knows that now.

Quote:
Thank you sooo much for all your comments and advice, really appreciate that!!! I will go to see them in person tomorrow. Happy easter!
Happy Easter to you too and give an update when you get a chance. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting