Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 11:17 PM

460 posts, read 3,547,154 times

Advertisements

Well it's the usual apartment nightnare I'm in with crappy neighbors, thin walls, etc and can't wait to move out but the lease doesn't expire until the end of march. I asked the landlord about early lease termination and the penalty is $500 which I'm fine with but if I move early and they don't rent the unit I would also be liable for every month it's not rented. So I can't take the chance of leaving and them not finding a new tenant. Right now they said they'd try and find someone and I'm posting ads on craigslist looking for a renter but it doesn't look very positive. Anyone else been in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 06:13 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post
Well it's the usual apartment nightnare I'm in with crappy neighbors, thin walls, etc and can't wait to move out but the lease doesn't expire until the end of march. I asked the landlord about early lease termination and the penalty is $500 which I'm fine with but if I move early and they don't rent the unit I would also be liable for every month it's not rented. So I can't take the chance of leaving and them not finding a new tenant. Right now they said they'd try and find someone and I'm posting ads on craigslist looking for a renter but it doesn't look very positive. Anyone else been in this situation?
Yup. Usually they won't make much of an effort to find a new tenant because you're already on the hook for the rent if they don't. Keep trying to find a suitable person to sublet your place, but I wouldn't sublet a place for only three months and I bet a lot of other people wouldn't either. You should be prepared to stick it out. It's not for much longer; I know it sucks.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:54 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,016,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post

I'm sorry you're unhappy in your apartment. I only rent month-to-month, but I've been lucky - most of my residents have been long term.

However, if you do decide to move out and break the lease, the owner has to show diligently that they are trying to rent it. I'm in California, and I know other States have different laws.

March is only 3 months away - I'd hang in there.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:21 AM

Yeah I know the owner is 'supposed to' dlligently look for a new renter but since they have other identical units to mine they're currently trying to rent chances probably aren't that good for mine. I would then be responsible for over $900 for each month and in my estimation they're lucky to ever find anyone because they're grossly overcharging to begin with. So I'll probably have to stick it out.

Oh I can almost guarentee they'll find a renter for march 1 though because that will be my last month on the lease and they make $500 extra if they rent it then versus waiting until after I leave march 30th. At that point it probably would be worth staying the final month to save 500 bucks but I really can't wait to get out so I'd be tempted to pay that fee nonetheless.

Last edited by tripod; 12-11-2007 at 01:35 AM..

Old 12-11-2007, 01:15 AM

Sorry, dbl post

Last edited by tripod; 12-11-2007 at 01:32 AM..

Old 12-12-2007, 01:38 AM

So I'm scrambling to get out of my lease because I want to leave by months end. Been posting on craigslist offering to pay the new tenants 1st months rent and that along with early lease termination fees would cost me like 1300 bucks. The come om for a perspective tenant is actually only a half month's free rent because of the realtor's fee. I wonder if anyone will be interested for jan 1st since today is already Dec 12th.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:37 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Not sure where you're living either, but if it's a cold state, I doubt many people will really want to move in winter.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Not sure where you're living either, but if it's a cold state, I doubt many people will really want to move in winter.

Last night I drove by an apartment complex and this poor guy is out there loading his uhaul truck in the dark during an ice storm.

After posting ads on craigslist 2 nights ago offering to pay someones 1st mths rent to move into my apartment I got like 6 calls alraady. People looking for a jan 1st apartment in mid december are somthing else. I call them 'scramblers' and I suspect anyone scrambling for a new years rental might be overjoyed to see one available with a free mths rent. When I was looking for places earlier this year it seemed everyone was offering a free months rent but now no one seems to be doing that, why is that?

Old 12-15-2007, 04:57 PM

7 posts, read 42,580 times
Does anyone know how that looks on your rental history? Like if you go to look into renting a new apartment and you broke the lease on the past one... what happens? What if you break it on "good terms (you pay all the required fees and such)?"

Old 12-15-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagotoIndy07 View Post
Does anyone know how that looks on your rental history? Like if you go to look into renting a new apartment and you broke the lease on the past one... what happens? What if you break it on "good terms (you pay all the required fees and such)?"

In my case I would be charged a half months rent for terminating the lease early. If I supply them with a new renter who signs a new 1 yr lease I don't see how the owner would lose especially since there's only 3 mths left on mine. They know I'd be leaving after the lease is up anyways and they tell me they consider me to be a good tenant which I am. Perhaps there willl be a bad mark on my renter's report card for leaving early but I'll take that chance rather than stay in a place for 1 day longer than I have to where I'm completely miserable. <br>
My new neighbors on the side of me are also looking to get out after only 2 months of being there and there's 2 apartments across the hall where everyones moved in the past 6 mths. Small 1br goes for $950 + utes and it's a nice new bldg but the walls are paper thin and that's why I'm leaving. Ironically there's no loud stereo's or tv's to complain of but everyone seems to be conspicuosly quiet most of the time and I think it's because we're all so hyper aware that we can hear each other when we do talk or do anything. It's really an uncomfortable situation and I can't wait to move out.

Last edited by tripod; 12-16-2007 at 12:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting