Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 07:47 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times

Advertisements

I would have laughed if they told me they were going to tear up the carpet to check for stains UNDER IT. Um no? The carpet is clean, that's all that matters, who cares if the pad might have a stain? If she didn't have pets would they do that?

I would have fought it from the beginning and said "if you tear up the carpet, that is on you, I will take you to small claims court if you try to replace the carpet on my dime."

I would have taken pictures AND VIDEO of the carpet looking just fine.

Did you put anything in writing about the pets? If not I'd probably still try small claims, can't hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 12:42 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Right there in red. Hey I was with you about the blame at first until I reread the OP and she admitted damage.
Take some Pepto for that heartburn.
Oh, Lord, look at the next line...but there were no stains on the carpet. In other words, if there was damage to the carpet, she'd be willing to pay for it. But there wasn't any visible damage.

C'mon, you're just messing with me now. LOL on the Pepto. That stuff is nasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I would have laughed if they told me they were going to tear up the carpet to check for stains UNDER IT. Um no? The carpet is clean, that's all that matters, who cares if the pad might have a stain? If she didn't have pets would they do that?

I would have fought it from the beginning and said "if you tear up the carpet, that is on you, I will take you to small claims court if you try to replace the carpet on my dime."

I would have taken pictures AND VIDEO of the carpet looking just fine.

Did you put anything in writing about the pets? If not I'd probably still try small claims, can't hurt.
Agree! What's next? A stain under the roofing?

Old 05-01-2014, 09:07 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
I lean strongly toward there having been an odor. We've done that before, many times. The carpets look fine, but there is a strong pet odor we just can't get rid of, so we pull back the carpet (which doesn't damage the carpet in any way, and if there isn't a problem, it can easily be put back into place), and find that the odor is coming from the carpet backing and the pad, even though it looks fine on the surface. Sometimes, the backing of the carpet can be cleaned and it helps. Sometimes, only the pad needs to be replaced. Sometimes, even though it looks fine on the surface, everything underneath is completely saturated with urine, and you have to not only replace, but Killz the flooring underneath. We don't know until we pull up the carpet and look.

We have a current judgment, granted by a judge in court, against a tenant who had dogs who peed on the carpet in several rooms. We had to replace the whole house because the carpet was no longer made, so it would have all not matched. We prorated, based on the age of the carpet, and the judge agreed with us.

So basically, exactly the situation the tenant has described, and we won. I suppose that depends a lot whether you live in a landlord friendly or tenant friendly state. My state is very landlord friendly. If you live in California, it would likely be a very different result.

My point is that "Looks just fine" is not the only thing that matters.

I will concede that if there wasn't an odor, the landlord is out of line, but I can't imagine any landlord doing this if there wasn't an odor.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:15 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I lean strongly toward there having been an odor. We've done that before, many times. The carpets look fine, but there is a strong pet odor we just can't get rid of, so we pull back the carpet (which doesn't damage the carpet in any way, and if there isn't a problem, it can easily be put back into place), and find that the odor is coming from the carpet backing and the pad, even though it looks fine on the surface.
Exactly. I notice throughout this thread that some posters talk about "ripping out/up" and "tearing up" the carpet when, as you pointed out, "pulling back" carpeting (and particularly carpeting which is only two years old) is the norm and perfectly easy to do. As I mentioned earlier, many pet owners simply don't smell the odor ...

Old 05-01-2014, 12:17 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
If it were an odor issue I'd be more understanding, but the OP hasn't mentioned odor, just stains.

If they had said "the carpet smelled so bad we had to replace it" that would be different than "the pad had stains on it."

It's just the pad! You can't see it, so if they were bugging about "pad stains" I'd think the managment company was crazy and refuse to pay.

If they had just pulled up the carpet and not tore it out, they could have put it right back down. But I assume since they say they HAVE TO replace it because of stains underneath then they tore it out. I question the validity of the stains lol. I mean where's the proof of staining? Pictures? A company estimate? I'd want receipts as well.

I'd definitely be getting more info and again refusing to pay if the terms "odor" had never once been mentioned, specially if it's documented in any way that they were only talking about stains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting