Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 11:44 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,181 times

Advertisements

It's your responsibility as the landlord.

Putting a big pot on a stove is normal wear and tear. Pretty much anyone is going to look at this as a case of the landlord buying a cheap appliance that broke down.

Likewise, it shouldn't require replacing the entire stove. Just replace the burner. If it's a cooking implement meant to go on stoves and you can lift it, the stove should hold it. Unless there is a label on your stove saying "load no more than 25 lbs on any burner" and you can prove the pot weighed more than that, it's your problem, not theirs.

If you've got an owners manual that limits weight on the burners, give it to the renters to prevent them from breaking it again. If you already gave them the manual (and it warns against over-loading), then you could argue the case.

Otherwise, just fix it or hire someone to fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 02:27 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,739,775 times
Pot does not look that big to cause damage to a stove. I would think that stoves would come with size restrictions if that were a problem. As a landlord, I would fix or replace the stove.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:22 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
This is why the owners I know no longer furnish appliances... it is just another area for conflict to arise.

My local Housing Authority allows the owner an extra $2 per month each for funrishing a stove and refrigerator. I would gladly PAY more than that to avoid the potential liability.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:03 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
This is why the owners I know no longer furnish appliances... it is just another area for conflict to arise.

My local Housing Authority allows the owner an extra $2 per month each for funrishing a stove and refrigerator. I would gladly PAY more than that to avoid the potential liability.
I wouldn't rent a unit that did not come with appliances, and I definitely wouldn't pay more for the privilege of having things that most people provide as a matter of routine. Ugh, I'm so sick of money-grubbing landlords I could scream.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I wouldn't rent a unit that did not come with appliances, and I definitely wouldn't pay more for the privilege of having things that most people provide as a matter of routine. Ugh, I'm so sick of money-grubbing landlords I could scream.
That is why we have choices...

I agree, I would not pay a more for a unit without appliances over one that did either.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
That is why we have choices...

I agree, I would not pay a more for a unit without appliances over one that did either.
You should have seen the units I passed up in my search. I was not desperate enough to rent some of the garbage some landlords consider habitable. We're talking obvious water damage, windows that had not been cleaned in years, 30 year-old appliances, wallpaper falling off the walls, etc. And they all wanted top whack for it. I looked long and hard for my unit and even it is sub-par in some ways, but it's at least acceptable and decent value for the money.

Oh, and the appliances are cheap and sh*tty...but at least it has them.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:00 PM

If being in the Rental Housing Business was easy, I think everyone and his or her mother would be landlords.

You can never really appreciate another's view unless you've "Walked in their shoes" and I've done both.

The best I can do is treat people fairly and with integrity. The quality of owner's and renters has changed much in my short tenure.

Rental Property is a Business... bills have to be paid and rents collected.

Do your homework and become an Educated Consumer... some people know more about Ipods and Cell Phones than the roof over their head.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-16-2008 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-12-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
If being in the Rental Housing Business was easy, I think everyone his mother would be landlords.
I doubt it. Let's not give ourselves over to hyperbole.

Quote:
You can never really appreciate another's view unless you've "Walked in their shoes" and I've done both.
That's lovely.

Quote:
The best I can do is treat people fairly and with integrity. The quality of owner's and renters has changed much in my short tenure.
As someone who is only renting between owning properties, I find that offensive. I'm lumped in with a bunch of deadbeats and I'm sick of it.

Quote:
Rental Property is a Business... bills have to be paid and rents collected.
Don't I know it. You ought to see what kind of garbage-y properties are on the market here, and how much the pie-in-the-sky landlords are expecting to be paid.

Quote:
Do your homework and become an Educated Consumer... some people know more about Ipods and Cell Phones than the roof over their head.
I know plenty about the sh*tty roof over my head, and about my rights as a tenant in this state. I'd appreciate it if you stopped trying to insult me because you don't like the truthful tales I tell about landlords.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:17 PM

237 posts, read 859,736 times
The apartment I am renting now did not come with a stove or fridge.

And this totally caught me off guard.

But, it is a really nice place and actually way cheaper than the slum I left behind.

Appliances aren't hard to come by - I posted ads looking to buy on craigslist and was fairly successful.

I needed apartment size appliances. I had tons of offers of folks who would give me either a stove or a fridge. Sadly, they were all full sized. I was able to buy an apartment sized fridge from Craigslist for $25. There was nothing wrong with it - the guy had it in his basement (what we call a "beer fridge" around here.) He was re-doing his basement & just didn't want it anymore.

I wasn't able to find a used apartment sized stove for sale, so I got a double burner hot plate & a convection toaster oven. More than enough for a one person household.

(Sadly, a year later & people are still trying to give me stoves! My great-aunt, who has too much money, is re-doing her kitchen and just offered me her used, 3 year old, stainless stove. It is beautiful but much too large for my kitchen. I told her to pass it on to my young cousin who just purchased her first home.)

Old 12-12-2007, 02:18 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
You normally would not have to replace an entire STOVE because a burner broke. I broke a burner on a stove in a place I was renting as a student. Rather than getting raped by the landlord who would withhold a large portion of my deposit when I moved out or would drag their feet about fixing it (I had three other working burners), I went to the store and bought another burner. Took about five minutes to switch out the broken one, and the new one worked fine. Cost me about $10 and it was worth it.

Appliances that break down when they are used normally for their intended purpose are not the tenant's responsibility to fix, let alone REPLACE, and I'd sue the pants off my landlord if they tried to stick me with the cost of a new appliance. And I'd win. Easily.
The broken burner affected something on the stove and the only burner that works only produces a small flame for some strange reason. The only reason the burners broke is because as stated above, they put huge cooking pots on the burners. Basically all 3 burners are broken and only one works minimally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting