Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 07:09 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times

Advertisements

One of my units (4 roommates) lease is over on 5/28.

Two of the four are leaving the country on the 20th (going home for the summer). They called tonight and want us to inspect their bedrooms before they leave, while the other two tenants will remain until the 28th. They also mentioned that they want us to sign a letter stating that we inspected their bedrooms and found nothing wrong, unless we do and then they want the time to "fix it".

We wouldn't let them "fix" anything (holes in walls, doors, etc.) to begin with so that's a moot point. The floors have to be broom swept, and that's about it.

I've never "inspected bedrooms" when roommates move out early and I think we should stick to what we usually do which is when the lease is up, we inspect upon move-out. The rules are pretty simple: leave the place like you found it with the obvious exception of "normal" wear and tear. All tenants who are moving out this month received their inspection check list about 2 weeks ago and I will re-send it via email (as a *reminder*) this coming Monday.

My husband doesn't see an issue, but I just don't think it's a good idea and can't put my finger on why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 07:39 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Are they on individual leases or a single lease.
Do you collect individual rent from each or a single payment?
Did they individually give a deposit or was it a single deposit?

Old 05-06-2014, 09:23 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post

This^^^^

And

Usually when you have multiple roommates for tenants you do a walk through but NO refunds are given until ALL the tenants vacate. Once they are ready to vacate you do your walk through. Now this is important. If you have a lease and they are all named on one lease they are all equally responsible for any damage anywhere on the property. So you repair whatever they damaged and you send a refund check in ALL of their names. This way they all have to go to your bank and cash the check. Now they can divide it as they see fit.
When a lease is signed and includes two or more people the lease sees them as one person not individuals

If you have individual leases with each tenant that's where you run into problems because they are each responsible for their own room rent and damages as individuals. So you would have to treat them as separate leases.

When I have roomates situation I do prelim walk and then final walk ( if damages got fixed or not) wait until all parties vacate and then take bids whatever fir any damages. The send itemized list and refund if any. I would go with your gut feeling and wait till they all vacate. Make sure you ask who gets to receive the refund check.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Single lease, one collective security deposit in ONE tenant's name.

Rent is collected by cash.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
This^^^^

And

Usually when you have multiple roommates for tenants you do a walk through but NO refunds are given until ALL the tenants vacate. Once they are ready to vacate you do your walk through. Now this is important. If you have a lease and they are all named on one lease they are all equally responsible for any damage anywhere on the property. So you repair whatever they damaged and you send a refund check in ALL of their names. This way they all have to go to your bank and cash the check. Now they can divide it as they see fit.
When a lease is signed and includes two or more people the lease sees them as one person not individuals
That's exactly how we are set up with our tenants.

One lease, one security deposit in one tenant's name...the tenant whose name I hold security for gets the deposit back. If there are any deductions, they are itemized and it's up to them to figure out who broke what or whose boyfriend punched a hole in a door and fight amongst themselves. Not mine.

Quote:
I would go with your gut feeling and wait till they all vacate. Make sure you ask who gets to receive the refund check.
I agree. I do know whose name the security is in and it's not one of the girls leaving early. Which makes me uncomfortable because the kitchen and the bathrooms are disgusting. Disgusting to the point when their NEW LL (the two who are leaving before the lease is up) called me for a reference check...because he had dropped off his lease for them to sign (two months ago) , and was in the unit....he asked me if I had seen my kitchen or bathrooms lately - after I told him one smokes (we have no smoking properties) and keeps a live - in boyfriend (who also smokes). I already knew the bathrooms and kitchen had never received any type of cleaning (not even a spit shine) since the day they all moved in. But he signed them up any way.

I'm concerned for the girls who aren't going "home" for the summer (they are all international students from China). I think the two who are leaving early are trying to get over on the two who aren't by asking for this.

So, I'm not going to let them.

I'll do what I usually do.

Thank you Electrician and Rab!

Old 05-06-2014, 10:18 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Do Not inspect them individually. Since this is one lease as one rental, you DO NOT have the legal authority to lock the inspected rooms off from the rest of the premise. As such, if you inspect, give a receipt for that inspection, and it's trashed when you next see it, no judge will allw anyone still leaving there or those who moved to be responsible because they have a reciept that you inspected and accepted it. Inspections where you are providing a written satisfactory statement (release) is done when the tenants are ready to lock the doors and give you a key. You can inspect anytime before that to alert the tenants of potential deduction from the security deposit, but never give a receipt that isn't subject to the entire final inspection.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:46 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
I guess you could say, sure, I'll write a note that says your bedrooms were left clean, but the note will also say that you are still responsible equally with the other roommates for any other issues with the entire house, which I won't know until everyone is out.

Then say, "nice try, girls," Bon Voyage! LOL!

Old 05-07-2014, 09:42 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I'd go over and look. They'd get a signed receipt from me , if they really wanted one that said I saw XXX or I saw noting at this point but that damage would not be assessed and deposits returned until the property was returned to me. Also, that the room would still have to be clean and undamaged when the property was returned to me.

Included would be the comment that there were going to be hefty deductions from deposits if the bathrooms and kitchens were left in their current condition. And that there were going to be deductions for cigarette smoke and damage.

If there is anything at all left in the room, you note that it is impossible to assess the condition of the room because tenant's belongings are still in the room, blocking access.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:23 PM

Thanks for all of the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting