Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 04:15 PM

15 posts, read 55,555 times

Advertisements

I wonder if going home after a long day of work and soaking my feet in a fifteen milligauss magnetic field would be therapeutic?

Seriously, there should be a law prohibiting the sale of these meters to us worriers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 06:22 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekP8 View Post
I wonder if going home after a long day of work and soaking my feet in a fifteen milligauss magnetic field would be therapeutic?

Seriously, there should be a law prohibiting the sale of these meters to us worriers.
LOL! Well, I don't worry about this kind of stuff anymore. I guess it's old age.

My first thought was - yay! no downstairs neighbor! I'd rent a unit in a heartbeat with one less neighbor. You'll have to hear people above and beside you, but not below you :-)

If you think about it, there are wires all through that building. How much more can they affect you by being congregated where the meters are? I don't know. I just know I wouldn't worry about it, personally.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:39 AM

584 posts, read 1,935,864 times
Quote:

the meters are safe no more dangerous than your cell. in fact if there is a danger i would be less do to the fact the broadcast time is so short. do not believe the bad hyppe on them.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:58 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:

Seriously, I think you're being more of an obsessive than a simple worrier. If you're so uncomfortable about the issue to have gone to all this trouble to measure the magnetic fields then don't take the place.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:14 AM

Yes, but I hate it when my obsessiveness stands in the way of life.

All I did with measuring is prove that the room is next to the electric infrastructure, which I already knew.

Actually, a few years ago, if you told me I lived in a magnetic field I would have thought that was pretty darn cool. Wish I could go back to those carefree days.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:48 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Yes, but I hate it when my obsessiveness stands in the way of life.

All I did with measuring is prove that the room is next to the electric infrastructure, which I already knew.

Actually, a few years ago, if you told me I lived in a magnetic field I would have thought that was pretty darn cool. Wish I could go back to those carefree days.
If it's disrupting your life so much have you considered seeking professional help?

Old 05-14-2014, 09:53 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Consider this advantage. The meters are not going to play their stereo all night with the bass turned up to supersonic-shake-the-building.

So, that is one side of your apartment that doesn't have a noisy inconsiderate neighbor.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:13 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
What is actually in the room for electrical equipment? JUST meters? Or is it where the main service would come into the building and the main disconnects are? Any transformers and such?

Old 05-15-2014, 08:29 AM

I would not know exactly what's inside. Has anyone living in a house measured the magnetic (not electric) fields in the wall of opposite their adjacent to their meters/electric lines?

Probably, the UV energy entering through the windows is harmful than any magnetic field.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If it's disrupting your life so much have you considered seeking professional help?
It's also the question of paying through the teeth on rent, and entering into a contract for a year, financially binding me to live there, even if there is something wrong, it would be a year before I could move out.

For that expense, I'm one of those types that wants something very, very good. If the rent were half the amount, or if it were month-to-month tenancy, I would have been there already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting