Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 09:11 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind that if you sue for the security deposit that you may be entitled to the LL can counter sue you for unpaid rent for usage of the garage since you failed to get all garbage removed prior to move out.

That may be something the judge may consider or not and will be something you have to wait and see what will happen.

If you have proof that the LL allowed that without getting storage payments or rent then you are fine but guess what...if you just have that phone call it will be hard to proof your case since the LL will deny that being said and again what a judge may decide is up to the judge.

I'm just pointing out that it is only a clear case if one party can proof everything the you don't have to worry but the other party may have something you may not think about and/or may not be as honest to say you are right.

Judges go by what is proven and clearly you leaving boxes after the move out is a problem you need to overcome to win on all fronts.

Aside from that do you have move out pictures? The LL may have move in pictures and move out pictures and invoices. I already responded to the labor part the LL performed which will most likely be thrown out unless it can clearly proven to be more than normal work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 11:15 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Keep in mind that if you sue for the security deposit that you may be entitled to the LL can counter sue you for unpaid rent for usage of the garage since you failed to get all garbage removed prior to move out.
According to the OP's post #8, a LL being sued in PA cannot file a counterclaim for damages unless the plaintiff is taking the option of suing for double the amount of the SD.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:34 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
Unless something has changed i know here in Ohio, they have 30 days to return your deposit. They can charge for carpet the cat ripped up but not carpet cleaning as an example.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:51 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Unless something has changed i know here in Ohio, they have 30 days to return your deposit. They can charge for carpet the cat ripped up but not carpet cleaning as an example.
The laws vary slightly from state to state. The OP is in PA. Most state laws are linked in the first "sticky" on this page.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:50 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttimePArenter View Post
Thank you for responding. I live in PA (sorry for not mentioning that), I emailed them a demand letter and will send a hard copy out tomorrow via certified mail. @ bentlebee I was worried what would happen if I took them to court and they still didn't pay, I didn't know I could file for a lien on the property so thanks for that.
I can only talk about Florida and of course a tenant has the easiest way to collect with filing for a lien on the property. Anything you file for will cost filing fees but you will be able to collect interest and court cost back later on.

Make sure you have all your papers ready and organized and it is normal to be nervous when you have your court date and be prepared for the other party to lie.

You probably will only get a few minutes to talk so be ready and prepared and make sure not to forget any paper.

Bring your lease and all records of payments if possible since you never know if your LL comes up with something unexpected and if you can immediately show you are right the judge will believe the rest as well but if you have to say time after time that you didn't think it was important than you will be out of luck.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:37 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
*Edit*
Nevermind, I missed something and my post is irrelevant now.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:15 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Just a thought on negotiations, it might be worth it to ask for the maximum amount allowed, so when you have to negotiate, you negotiate down to what you want. All I'm saying is that if you go for just the SD+court costs, and win, and he appeals, he might try and win through attrition by wearing you down so that you accept half of the security deposit to go away.

And, if he finds you suing for twice the deposit, he might offer you the whole thing back to go away and drop the suit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The OP quoted the law in a previous post. If he only goes for the security deposit, and not twice the security deposit, the LL can't appeal.

If he chooses to try for twice the deposit, the LL has the right to appeal.

This is why the OP has been advised to only go for the amount of the security deposit, and not the penalty amount of twice the deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting