Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 05:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
I've thought about that! But since she's older I'm pretty sure she won't want to walk up stairs. :{
50's isn't old! But I doubt she'd be willing to switch because she likes to complain.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Thank you! We are actually quiet for the most part... even though my child is high energy we are outside most of the day, if she wants to sing loudly we make her go outside (in the yard, not on the deck because it's too close), we hardly EVER watch tv. It baffles me that this lady complains as much as she does because I can only think of a few instances during the day when we are actually inside and could have made some sort of loud noise. She wants complete and total silence, and I'm sorry but you can't live in a creaky old house on the first floor and expect that. Exactly....SENIOR LIVING FACILITY!
Really?

You think someone in their mid-50's should be in a senior living facility?

You chose where you live. You knew you had a high energy child. You chose to live on the second floor of an old house. (Did you ask the landlord who was downstairs? Had he said, "A single older woman." I'd have thought about that before moving upstairs with a high energy child.) I don't know what the solution is. But I think you need to own the fact that you are where you are because you made the choice to be there and not just decide the 50-something should be in a senior living facility.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:50 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
I'm an old bag of 52...while I would not relish the thought of having a high energy child living above me...I also know it would be my tough luck...I'm pretty sure that between the hours of 11pm and 9am you may have to keep it down...but if your landlord rented to you knowing you had a young child...I think I would very nicely remind the downstairs neighbor that she too was once a mother and should recall how hard it is to be in your position...otherwise unless your landlord is complaining to you...screw her...that's life in an apartment...

Old 06-05-2014, 05:55 PM

850 posts, read 1,898,619 times
The senior living facility was a joke made by another poster. I'm 40, so I don't actually believe that 50 is 'old'. But sometimes, people can certainly 'act old', despite their age. Anyhoo...thanks everyone for your replies!

Old 06-05-2014, 05:58 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
Quote:
The senior living facility was a joke made by another poster. I'm 40, so I don't actually believe that 50 is 'old'. But sometimes, people can certainly 'act old', despite their age. Anyhoo...thanks everyone for your replies!
Agree some people are born old...

Old 06-05-2014, 06:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Parents with children, even high energy children, have a legal right to rent/buy wherever they want that isn't in an exempt senior community.

It's Federal law.

CRT Fair Housing Act

Fair Housing Laws and Presidential Executive Orders - HUD

Old 06-05-2014, 08:12 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,693 times
That was me who made the remark about a senior living facility, and I do believe anyone who is going to complain every time somebody walks, breathes, or farts in the next apartment needs to find someplace more suited to their liking instead of demanding a 6 year old walk on tiptoe and talk in whispers.

Even if it was just the OP and her husband, sounds like that lady would STILL find something to complain about. She complained about SQUIRRELS dropping birdseed on her deck. The kid isn't the problem. The neighbor is. Some people are never going to be happy and always going to find something to complain about, and I sure wouldn't give myself high blood pressure trying to cater to their insatiable demands. As long as the child isn't violating any noise ordinances, the woman would just have to suck it up and deal with it. It isn't like the OP is deliberately letting her child run rampant through the building at all hours. She's trying to be considerate. The bat still complains. Let HER move.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:33 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
While I would never let a child run or jump in my home, you were there first. I think you should not move, just ignore the neighbor. Next it will be your music is too loud or something else she's trying to control.

She should have known there would be noise above her when she signed her lease. It's her problem, not yours.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:36 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
That was me who made the remark about a senior living facility, and I do believe anyone who is going to complain every time somebody walks, breathes, or farts in the next apartment needs to find someplace more suited to their liking instead of demanding a 6 year old walk on tiptoe and talk in whispers.

Even if it was just the OP and her husband, sounds like that lady would STILL find something to complain about. She complained about SQUIRRELS dropping birdseed on her deck. The kid isn't the problem. The neighbor is. Some people are never going to be happy and always going to find something to complain about, and I sure wouldn't give myself high blood pressure trying to cater to their insatiable demands. As long as the child isn't violating any noise ordinances, the woman would just have to suck it up and deal with it. It isn't like the OP is deliberately letting her child run rampant through the building at all hours. She's trying to be considerate. The bat still complains. Let HER move.
I agree.

You just can't please some people. My daughter had a downstairs neighbor that once called the police with an excessive noise report. She & her room mate and two friends were playing cards at 9:00 PM. They weren't playing any music and had taken their shoes off (because the neighbor had complained before about too much noise). The only thing that they could figure out was that they were laughing too loud and the neighbor must have heard them.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:29 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Sounds like your daughter isn't being overly energetic and noisy, a bit of running and jumping during daytime hours is perfectly acceptable and as long as its not happening at night then you should just try and ignore your neighbour. Some people just love to complain, she'd probably be more unhappy if everything was quiet as then she'd lose her favourite hobby of moaning!

I had older neighbours when my daughter was a newborn. They would bang on our wall in anger whenever she cried! They'd also do it when she was asleep just to wake her up and **** us off. Some people really shouldn't be living in flats/apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting