Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 10:17 PM

76 posts, read 405,786 times

Advertisements

The apartments in my area (North of Seattle, WA) do not come with AC, and I've been told by a number of people that that is typical for the Pacific Northwest. I was shocked at first. I always thought heating and cooling were just 'the way things work.'

Well anyway, I already have my own portable AC unit, which I am using now at my brother's house. It is the type that is free standing and has a tube that you vent out the window. When I get an apartment soon, I will need to use this AC unit. There are three reasons I need AC:

1. I have a pet newt which must remain under a certain temperature or it could get sick or die
2. I use my computer and two monitors for hours at a time, and I edit photos. I can't let it get too hot or the electronics might fry
3. Sometimes it gets just plain hot in the summer here and a tiny apartment would be horrible in the heat

Now, the complications.

- The ac unit, when it kicks on the cooling, draws a lot of power. At my brother's house, which is actually very modern, when the AC kicks on it actually causes a negative spike in power, to where the lights in the room dim, and, before I got a battery backup for my computer, it would kill the computer every time the AC turned on. So, I'm concerned that that kind of power draw might kill the fusebox at the apartment every time it turns on.

- The ac unit, as with any AC unit, can sometimes be a bit noisy when the cooling motor is on (the model I have, actually, is noted to be quite quiet for such a size of AC). It does not bother me in the slightest (I've adjusted to the sound over a couple years), but I am of course concerned that it may disturb other tenants next to or below me. One of my biggest fears of moving into an apartment is disturbing other people. I don't want to be 'that guy' that bugs everyone. So I'm worried if I run the AC 24 hours a day, it might disturb people

- I'm concerned about how much my utilities will cost in general, and adding the AC on could get dangerous financially.

- Lastly, and probably the least of the issues, is that I need to vent the hose out the window. There is a plastic sheet that goes in between the window frame and the sliding window, and the hose attaches to it. The lady at the complex said that would probably be ok (they just don't allow the in-window AC units). I would need to get an upper level apartment because if I was on the ground level, my window would be more of a security risk, having it partially open with the ac sheet in (although I could probably put a wooden dowel cut to the appropriate length inside the window channel so it would be more secure.

So overall I guess I am just worried about all of these issues. It would suck to move into a place and find out some of these are real issues and be stuck without Ac. Then I'm not sure what I'd do with my newt, or my computer possibly overheating, etc. Currently the weather is not super hot, but it will get there soon I am guessing. Maybe buy a smaller AC unit, though it would probably be as noisy or noisier than what I have. I don't know, what do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 10:49 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoGuy79 View Post
The apartments in my area (North of Seattle, WA) do not come with AC, and I've been told by a number of people that that is typical for the Pacific Northwest. I was shocked at first. I always thought heating and cooling were just 'the way things work.'

Well anyway, I already have my own portable AC unit, which I am using now at my brother's house. It is the type that is free standing and has a tube that you vent out the window. When I get an apartment soon, I will need to use this AC unit. There are three reasons I need AC:

1. I have a pet newt which must remain under a certain temperature or it could get sick or die
2. I use my computer and two monitors for hours at a time, and I edit photos. I can't let it get too hot or the electronics might fry
3. Sometimes it gets just plain hot in the summer here and a tiny apartment would be horrible in the heat

Now, the complications.

- The ac unit, when it kicks on the cooling, draws a lot of power. At my brother's house, which is actually very modern, when the AC kicks on it actually causes a negative spike in power, to where the lights in the room dim, and, before I got a battery backup for my computer, it would kill the computer every time the AC turned on. So, I'm concerned that that kind of power draw might kill the fusebox at the apartment every time it turns on.

- The ac unit, as with any AC unit, can sometimes be a bit noisy when the cooling motor is on (the model I have, actually, is noted to be quite quiet for such a size of AC). It does not bother me in the slightest (I've adjusted to the sound over a couple years), but I am of course concerned that it may disturb other tenants next to or below me. One of my biggest fears of moving into an apartment is disturbing other people. I don't want to be 'that guy' that bugs everyone. So I'm worried if I run the AC 24 hours a day, it might disturb people

- I'm concerned about how much my utilities will cost in general, and adding the AC on could get dangerous financially.

- Lastly, and probably the least of the issues, is that I need to vent the hose out the window. There is a plastic sheet that goes in between the window frame and the sliding window, and the hose attaches to it. The lady at the complex said that would probably be ok (they just don't allow the in-window AC units). I would need to get an upper level apartment because if I was on the ground level, my window would be more of a security risk, having it partially open with the ac sheet in (although I could probably put a wooden dowel cut to the appropriate length inside the window channel so it would be more secure.

So overall I guess I am just worried about all of these issues. It would suck to move into a place and find out some of these are real issues and be stuck without Ac. Then I'm not sure what I'd do with my newt, or my computer possibly overheating, etc. Currently the weather is not super hot, but it will get there soon I am guessing. Maybe buy a smaller AC unit, though it would probably be as noisy or noisier than what I have. I don't know, what do you guys think?

1) When the AC unit kicks on, if it was to do anything, it would trip the breaker. Fuses are a thing of the past. So, basically, you would just flip a switch and you'd have power again. But, I can't tell you if that would happen. You might need to plug it into a different plug where it's the only power drain on that plug.

In other words, if you had the microwave and the toaster and the coffee maker and a radio or whatever all on the same breaker, and you turned them all on at once, you may trip the breaker (it would flip the power to that section to off. Then, you turn off some of these appliances, and turn the switch back on). Your AC may need to be the only major draw on a breaker. But, you wouldn't melt anything, in my experience.

2) Noise. Well, if the manager says you can have it, then you can have it. I had a tenant who had one of these portable units, and from outside it wasnt' very noisy at all, in my opinion. If yours is, perhaps you can look for a quieter one. But if you were my neighbor and the only noise you produced was the AC, that would suit me just fine.

3) I think there are electricity calculators online where you can put in the BTUs, etc., and figure out your usage. And maybe if you just cool one room with the AC and don't try to cool the whole apt, it won't be too bad.

4) As a manager, the problem we had with the portable AC the tenant had, was the dripping of water outside the unit. The owner would have to go in and adjust it every now and then, so it wouldn't drip into the unit/wall. And it did drip into a puddle outside the unit. Really when I read your post, my first thought was that the management wouldn't let you do this. But, if they say yes, they say yes. You might want to get it in the lease that you have permission to have a portable AC unit that vents out the window. Tell them that it's something you just have to have, for Diaz's sake and the computers, etc.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:43 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,002,874 times
A few things you might want to consider

I would get in writting the managers approval to use the a/c unit. Relying on the manager just saying "would probably be ok" could come back to bite you. If other renters complain or a new manager is hired, all of a sudden it might no longer be ok. If this happens now you are stuck without a/c for the rest of the lease or having to shell out a bunch of money to get out of the lease.

Take lots of pictures both inside and outside. If the a/c unit does cause water damage you could end up paying for damages that exsisted before you moved in.

Chances are good if there is another apt either above or below you it's windows will be directly above or below your windows. Be ready to deal with complaints about the noise and odor.

Might want to get a liability policy that covers any damage the a/c might cause to the building. Where I live we are required to carry $500,000 of liability insurance. Bundle with my auto insurance it added about $5 a month to my bill.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:12 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
All of the above.

But how old is the unit? Some of the free standing newer ones are a lot better in power consumption and they may not need to be vented out the window. Could you sell it and get a newer unit? You should have a electrical panel in your apartment but of you don't it could mean going outside every time you trip the breaker

And as everyone said get it in writing before you sign a lease.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:26 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Alaskan Mutt is right about getting insurance. My renters insurance policy is through Geico, underwritten by Assurance, and costs me $25/month. This includes replacing all my stuff if something happens, and putting me up in a hotel, etc., up to $2,000 if the place burns down or the guy above me floods my apartment, etc. Mine also includes earthquake insurance. So, you do really get a lot of coverage for very little money.

You can get cheaper insurance than mine, even as low as around $12/month, but I wanted all the coverage above, so I wouldn't have to try and figure out where to go if I ended up displaced. Instead of begging friends to let me stay with them with my dog, I can just move into a cushy hotel.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:30 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoGuy79 View Post
Depends on where you live! I can't imagine that where you're living where even the hottest part of summer rarely sees temps in excess of 85 max and winter lows are in the 40s, you would be running an A/C unit 24/7 year round. Where I live the average daily temperature year round is 80. Many condo dwellers have central A/C and keep their places closed up tightly but most residents enjoy the cooling breezes, utilize ceiling fans to keep the airflow going and only if necessary use an A/C in the bedroom at night.

Wouldn't a small cooling fan in the area next to your pet's aquarium keep him cooled off when necessary in the summer?

You can estimate the cost of running the A/C unit by going online and seeing the kWh usage of the particular model (if you have the manual that will also tell you). Ask the LL or another tenant in a similar unit how many kWh the place uses monthly, check your area's utility company website for the cost per kWh and then do the math.

Have fun looking and good luck finding the right place!

Old 06-20-2014, 07:56 AM

575 posts, read 1,468,698 times
Just wanted to add: Your electronics aren't going to fry lol It would take them reaching temperatures of about 120F - 170F for them to fail and even then, your computer has a fail safe where it will shut off after reaching a certain temperature (granted you have not gone into the BIOS to manually turn this fail safe off). Setting your laptop on blankets, carpet, etc... can cause it to overheat though because your laptop's fan won't be able to suck air in and/or out. Also, make sure you blow air (like canned air) through your laptop every often to get any dust out.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
1) When the AC unit kicks on, if it was to do anything, it would trip the breaker. Fuses are a thing of the past. So, basically, you would just flip a switch and you'd have power again. But, I can't tell you if that would happen. You might need to plug it into a different plug where it's the only power drain on that plug.

In other words, if you had the microwave and the toaster and the coffee maker and a radio or whatever all on the same breaker, and you turned them all on at once, you may trip the breaker (it would flip the power to that section to off. Then, you turn off some of these appliances, and turn the switch back on). Your AC may need to be the only major draw on a breaker. But, you wouldn't melt anything, in my experience.

2) Noise. Well, if the manager says you can have it, then you can have it. I had a tenant who had one of these portable units, and from outside it wasnt' very noisy at all, in my opinion. If yours is, perhaps you can look for a quieter one. But if you were my neighbor and the only noise you produced was the AC, that would suit me just fine.

3) I think there are electricity calculators online where you can put in the BTUs, etc., and figure out your usage. And maybe if you just cool one room with the AC and don't try to cool the whole apt, it won't be too bad.

4) As a manager, the problem we had with the portable AC the tenant had, was the dripping of water outside the unit. The owner would have to go in and adjust it every now and then, so it wouldn't drip into the unit/wall. And it did drip into a puddle outside the unit. Really when I read your post, my first thought was that the management wouldn't let you do this. But, if they say yes, they say yes. You might want to get it in the lease that you have permission to have a portable AC unit that vents out the window. Tell them that it's something you just have to have, for Diaz's sake and the computers, etc.
Excellent advice and points.Thank you, this will help a lot. I'll get that all in writing. I am also going to get renter's insurance (called for quote today, looks like about $18 a month, though I will need to call again when I get the apt and ask for clarification on coverage and make adjustments if needed)

Old 06-20-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
A few things you might want to consider

I would get in writting the managers approval to use the a/c unit. Relying on the manager just saying "would probably be ok" could come back to bite you. If other renters complain or a new manager is hired, all of a sudden it might no longer be ok. If this happens now you are stuck without a/c for the rest of the lease or having to shell out a bunch of money to get out of the lease.

Take lots of pictures both inside and outside. If the a/c unit does cause water damage you could end up paying for damages that exsisted before you moved in.

Chances are good if there is another apt either above or below you it's windows will be directly above or below your windows. Be ready to deal with complaints about the noise and odor.

Might want to get a liability policy that covers any damage the a/c might cause to the building. Where I live we are required to carry $500,000 of liability insurance. Bundle with my auto insurance it added about $5 a month to my bill.
Thanks, great advice! I'll get that insurance and approval in writing.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
All of the above.

But how old is the unit? Some of the free standing newer ones are a lot better in power consumption and they may not need to be vented out the window. Could you sell it and get a newer unit? You should have a electrical panel in your apartment but of you don't it could mean going outside every time you trip the breaker

And as everyone said get it in writing before you sign a lease.
Thanks. The unit is somewhat new (probably less than 5 years old, and I think it was advertised as being energy efficient...and 'green')

The breaker was inside the apt as I recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting