Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 05:49 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pttsprng View Post
I called the Santa Rosa County clerks office in Milton, Fl and they said the court cost is the amount you are suing for. I thought that was crazy and incorrect. I will research it further. Thank you, will keep you posted.
In Pasco County, FL the court cost are $ 395 for small claims court and if you win you get the court cost back as well...than you have to wait to collect but as a tenant you can put a lien on the home.

Check out the clerks website for filing costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 10:44 AM

5 posts, read 24,176 times
We gave our landlord a 30 day written notice that we would not be renewing our lease. We hand delivered it. She put a rent sign in the yard. After we moved she said per phone conversation, she would be keeping most all of our deposit and would send us an itemized list as to why, she never sent us anything. After 36 days we sent her a certified letter asking for $450.00 of our $625.00 because we owed $175.00 pet deposit. We also sent the proper form stating that if she did not send the $450.00 within 7 days that we would sue her for the full deposit because she violated Fl Statue 83.49. She replied 3 days later,certified letter with a list of bogus charges and said we did not give the proper 30 day notice, therefore we forfited any claims to our deposit. Her new renters moved in the day after we moved out. We gave her the letter but can't prove it. Of course she is lying about the notice that we gave her. Is she right? Do we forfiet because we can't prove our written notice to her?

Old 02-14-2011, 06:05 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
We gave our landlord a 30 day written notice that we would not be renewing our lease. We hand delivered it. She put a rent sign in the yard. After we moved she said per phone conversation, she would be keeping most all of our deposit and would send us an itemized list as to why, she never sent us anything. After 36 days we sent her a certified letter asking for $450.00 of our $625.00 because we owed $175.00 pet deposit. We also sent the proper form stating that if she did not send the $450.00 within 7 days that we would sue her for the full deposit because she violated Fl Statue 83.49. She replied 3 days later,certified letter with a list of bogus charges and said we did not give the proper 30 day notice, therefore we forfited any claims to our deposit. Her new renters moved in the day after we moved out. We gave her the letter but can't prove it. Of course she is lying about the notice that we gave her. Is she right? Do we forfiet because we can't prove our written notice to her?
No, she's wrong. She cannot retain any of your security deposit for rent because she rented out the place again immediately. Landlords aren't allowed to "double dip". She also has to prove whatever damage deductions she's taking off the security deposit by giving you an itemized list of deductions along with receipts for any work done to fix the alleged damages. She's already broken the law by not returning your security deposit or sending you the list of deductions within the 30 days required.

I presume you have a copy of the letter you hand delivered to her? I would send her another certified letter enclosing a copy of that letter and tell her that if the balance of your security deposit isn't returned to you within seven days of receipt you'll file against her in Small Claims court for unlawful withholding of security deposit. Then do it. Good luck!

Old 02-14-2011, 07:06 AM

Default Landlords !!!!!!!

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. Landlords are just horrible people to deal with. So many of them lie and steal and get away with it because tenants are scared to take their chances in court or don't have the money to do so.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. Landlords are just horrible people to deal with. So many of them lie and steal and get away with it because tenants are scared to take their chances in court or don't have the money to do so.
Now now, don't get carried away! For every bad landlord there's a bad tenant and reading this forum confirms exactly that.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:17 AM

That is very true, I stand corrected but most landlords make bogus claims against deposits and get away it because it is costly and time consuming to fight it. At the end of 5 years i'm sure the money they profit from bogus claims is very substancial.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
That is very true, I stand corrected but most landlords make bogus claims against deposits and get away it because it is costly and time consuming to fight it. At the end of 5 years i'm sure the money they profit from bogus claims is very substancial.
I accept your apology on behalf of the many very good landlords but regretfully you're still out of whack where your reasoning is concerned. You obviously haven't really read this forum or done any research at all where landlord/tenant laws have been adjudicated. You're still going on about most landlords as though they're trash.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:33 AM

9 posts, read 56,638 times
Hi

I think you should speak to a lawyer to find out what steps you can take. I think you might be able to sue.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,368 times
We rented a house for 3 years and when we moved out we cleaned it better than how it was when we moved in. now they are saying a cleaning lady went in and cleaned for 12 hours and cleaned all the things we did and is charging us $360.00 out of our deposit. What or is there anything I can do to fight this without going to small claims court and being tied up for months? We didn't take pictures because I didn't think we would need to since the owner and reality company was in the house a week before we moved and said everything looked great.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,368 times
We rented a house for 3 years and when we moved out we cleaned it better than when we moved in. now they are saying a cleaning lady went in for 12 hours and cleaned all the things we did and charging us $360.00. What or is there anything I can do to fight this? We didn't take pictures because I didn't think we would need to since the owner and reality company was in the house a week before we moved and said everything looked great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting