Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 07:54 AM

575 posts, read 1,468,882 times

Advertisements

My management company does this (I'm a renter). I was told the exact same thing as you once but then later I found out the lady was very very misinformed. Hopefully that's what has happened to you too.

The way it works here... You can transfer to another unit or property 6 months into your lease and if you do that (basically end lease at current unit then start a new lease at another unit) then you pay a $300 transfer fee plus their admin fee of $100. They still do all the new tenant screening again (no idea why) but no application fees. Now, if you wait until your lease ends the only thing you have to pay for is the $100 admin fee. Which in your case it would be a deposit and not an admin fee.

So you would pay a new deposit for the new unit and that would be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 08:27 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success View Post
it almost seem stupid to pay another deposit.. Even though the deposits here is only $150. They have not bought up anything pertaining top another deposit just a transfer fee

also the have rent specials now like one month for , wouldnt we qualify for that since we are signing a new lease as well?
It would be stupid to pay that transfer fee. There isn't any transfer. The fee is probably charged to tenants who want to move in the middle of their lease.

Here is what you do.

1.) hubby has lease at old place, lets lease expire, moves out, collects deposit.

2.) wifey signs lease at new place, pays deposit, moves in. Might have to pay application or credit check fee if manager is a jerk.

One lease with one tenant ends. Another lease with a different tenant begins. The two are not connected except that tenants know each other.

Any promos probably exclude people who already reside in the complex.

Please, whatever you do, DO NOT TRANSFER THAT DEPOSIT!!!!! You will be creating a situation that will come back to bite you in the future!

Get old deposit, pay new deposit: two separate transactions, two separate checks.

AND NO TRANSFER FEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Old 07-14-2014, 01:59 PM

932 posts, read 899,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It would be stupid to pay that transfer fee. There isn't any transfer. The fee is probably charged to tenants who want to move in the middle of their lease.

Here is what you do.

1.) hubby has lease at old place, lets lease expire, moves out, collects deposit.

2.) wifey signs lease at new place, pays deposit, moves in. Might have to pay application or credit check fee if manager is a jerk.

One lease with one tenant ends. Another lease with a different tenant begins. The two are not connected except that tenants know each other.

Any promos probably exclude people who already reside in the complex.

Please, whatever you do, DO NOT TRANSFER THAT DEPOSIT!!!!! You will be creating a situation that will come back to bite you in the future!

Get old deposit, pay new deposit: two separate transactions, two separate checks.

AND NO TRANSFER FEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Thanks. The complex is one of those low income complexes (not projects..LOL) that get grants or whatever and you can only make so much money here depending on your household.I wonder of they are govern by rules. I dont see how since they charge just about the same as the other non low income complexes

Im going to ask them again once she push our paperwork through but i dont think I'm paying that transfer fee. Well let me say this. I will pay the transfer fee if i don't have to pay another deposit.

The apartment complex community is kind of close(whatever the word is, knitched??) We stay right next to the office building and talk to them alot and to the maintenance..

The deposit here is only $150. we paid a deposit of $150 plus 1 week rent when we moved in

I'm hopeful they wont ask for another deposit but you our right they shouldn't ask for a transfer fee since my old lease expires and not wifey is signing new lease since she have the income

I just dont think the transfer is fair but if they dont charge the deposit then i wont fight it because if i do they might say ok you dont have to pay a transfer fee but you have to pay a new deposit.

They are very disorganized now,they fired a manger who was stealing, everything is screwed up different managers here every day and people quitting alot. Im sure they other lady I talked to thought we were still in our lease that is why she said transfer fee.

They arent the smartest lol A 3 bedroom was open right below us, directly below and the other 3 bedroom we were moving into was open to. I asked them cant we just get the one below us, they said it will be rented next week. I'm like why didn't you just save that one for us since it was right below and move the new tenants to the other 3 bedroom

The maintenance man whispered to me and said well the other one will have all new stuff because the old tenants ruined it

Old 07-14-2014, 04:09 PM

575 posts, read 1,468,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success View Post
Thanks. The complex is one of those low income complexes (not projects..LOL) that get grants or whatever and you can only make so much money here depending on your household.I wonder of they are govern by rules. I dont see how since they charge just about the same as the other non low income complexes

Im going to ask them again once she push our paperwork through but i dont think I'm paying that transfer fee. Well let me say this. I will pay the transfer fee if i don't have to pay another deposit.

The apartment complex community is kind of close(whatever the word is, knitched??) We stay right next to the office building and talk to them alot and to the maintenance..

The deposit here is only $150. we paid a deposit of $150 plus 1 week rent when we moved in

I'm hopeful they wont ask for another deposit but you our right they shouldn't ask for a transfer fee since my old lease expires and not wifey is signing new lease since she have the income

I just dont think the transfer is fair but if they dont charge the deposit then i wont fight it because if i do they might say ok you dont have to pay a transfer fee but you have to pay a new deposit.

They are very disorganized now,they fired a manger who was stealing, everything is screwed up different managers here every day and people quitting alot. Im sure they other lady I talked to thought we were still in our lease that is why she said transfer fee.

They arent the smartest lol A 3 bedroom was open right below us, directly below and the other 3 bedroom we were moving into was open to. I asked them cant we just get the one below us, they said it will be rented next week. I'm like why didn't you just save that one for us since it was right below and move the new tenants to the other 3 bedroom

The maintenance man whispered to me and said well the other one will have all new stuff because the old tenants ruined it
Do not pay that transfer fee. A deposit you will have returned to you as long as you didn't damage anything. A transfer fee is gone forever. You will be doing the apartment complex a favor if you allow them to just take $350 from you.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:29 PM

Since it appears there is some degree of government involvement in your lease, I suggest that you contact governmental agencies and express your concerns there.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:16 AM

^I'll look into that that and keep you all posted. im searching for a new apartment just in case.

It looks like the complex is under HUD housing and/or Public housing authorities (PHAs)

I probably wouldnt be to mad if I had to pay the transfer fee because I got off the hook for a $250 pet fee that I never paid but was suppose to. The management excused the debt because the former manager was doing alot of stealing and other stuff

Last edited by key2success; 07-15-2014 at 12:26 AM..

Old 07-24-2014, 05:52 PM

Update

Made some calls to regional manager etc. He said no you shouldnt have a transfer fee since your lease ends....Basically they called the complex manager who kept blowing me off and got this all straighten out

I dont even have to pay a new deposit

Thanks you all

Old 07-24-2014, 08:36 PM

Yay!!! I'm glad this had a positive ending for you! Not sure if our collective advice helped but I'm sure it didn't hurt.

As I said earlier, me and GF did a move same as you, only a nicer unit not a downgrade, but we had zero problems with our landlord company. It was just a simple move, to satisfy good tenants.

I'm glad you had same!

I wish you and GF the best of luck.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:44 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Easy fee and free money.

We don't charge a transfer fee since that is bogus and just a money maker even though it is nice we rather keep our god name and provide service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting