Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 06:06 AM

245 posts, read 291,563 times

Advertisements

What do you have in writing that describes the deposit? Emails, texts, craigslist ad?

Old 07-24-2014, 06:28 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
I believe that MA does not legally allow "holding deposits" so this would be considered a security deposit, in which case the landlord can only deduct money actually lost by the prospective tenant's inability to execute the lease and move into the unit. In this case it would be only for reasonable costs involved in additional advertising, etc. I suggest you contact either Legal Aid in the area or a real estate attorney for clarification.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:34 AM

245 posts, read 291,563 times
It doesn't sound like the deposit was given to a landlord correct?

Old 07-24-2014, 06:55 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br1n View Post
It doesn't sound like the deposit was given to a landlord correct?
It makes no difference - the tenant/friend to whom the money was given was the "agent" for the space and is bound by the same statutes.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:29 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
If you truly want advice, OP, here it is: Hire an attorney. Seriously.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:16 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
I've never heard of anyone asking for a "holding" deposit around here. I know someone commented earlier in the thread that they're not legal around here and I cannot confirm or deny that. I can only say it's not a common practice. If it was a security deposit then of course the daughter is breaking her word stating that she would become a roommate and therefore is not entitled to a refund of the deposit. The biggest problem is that nothing was ever put in writing. If it's put on paper properly then there is no debating what is what and who is who.

This being said . . . the OP has certainly been unnecessarily rude to people who have responded to this thread.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:21 PM

4 posts, read 6,121 times
Well I apologize if I did not get the interpersonal legal definition correct. I assumed you meant she had a personality problem with her girlfriends which she clearly does not have.

The money given was not a holding deposit at all. It was written on the check as a security deposit so the girl moving out could get her security money back quickly avoiding interaction with the landlord.

The issue has been resolved and my daughters money was rightfully returned. They have found another roommate and life goes on. Thanks to all for the intelligent responses.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:00 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncdbass View Post
Well I apologize if I did not get the interpersonal legal definition correct. I assumed you meant she had a personality problem with her girlfriends which she clearly does not have.
I didn't mean that at all. All I meant was that the problem was between two people and not a tenant-landlord situation. If I had meant "personality problem" I would have used that term.

I'm glad your daughter got her affairs disposed in a satisfactory manner.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:20 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncdbass View Post

The money given was not a holding deposit at all. It was written on the check as a security deposit so the girl moving out could get her security money back quickly avoiding interaction with the landlord.

The issue has been resolved and my daughters money was rightfully returned. They have found another roommate and life goes on. Thanks to all for the intelligent responses.
Good to here that you were able to get this resolved amicably. That's not an unusual solution that your daughter and here roommates came up with. Usually if the roommates can find someone to replace you then they will release you from your obligation.

My suggestion . . . next time have your daughter get everything in writing so that she knows what her rights are whether it's as a tenant or as a sublet. Deposits are assurance for the other party in the contract that they will be made whole should your daughter not follow through on her word which is what has happened here. It's great that she got her money back this time but she should be aware that the next people might not be as nice. I'm sure this was just an unfortunate confluence of circumstances in this case though and normally this wouldn't be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting