Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 12:22 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinUSA View Post
I'm confused why people are making their own stuff up

His GC was not via a lottery. You get a date to move by, the visa has an expiry date.
I'm confused that you can't present the situation clearly and concisely and fail to answer relevant questions.

A GC and a visa are entirely different things. It sounds now as though he is entering the US on a visa and not a GC. The only person who's confusing anything on this thread is you.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:27 PM

418 posts, read 559,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I'm confused that you can't present the situation clearly and concisely and fail to answer relevant questions.

A GC and a visa are entirely different things. It sounds now as though he is entering the US on a visa and not a GC. The only person who's confusing anything on this thread is you.

A green card is a type of visa. If you get all technical there is no such thing as a "green card".

Does IR1 immigration visa make it more clear for you? Does it need to be clear for you to know about renting? So far no one here would rent to someone without good credit, so maybe their problem is real ay?

Old 07-16-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
A green card is a type of visa. If you get all technical there is no such thing as a "green card".

Does IR1 immigration visa make it more clear for you? Does it need to be clear for you to know about renting? So far no one here would rent to someone without good credit, so maybe their problem is real ay?
Wrong again. A "green card" allows the holder to remain and work in the US indefinitely (given some caveats), while the visa is reserved for a temporary stay. The original card was indeed green.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Wrong again. A "green card" allows the holder to remain and work in the US indefinitely (given some caveats), while the visa is reserved for a temporary stay. The original card was indeed green.
it's not good forever, sorry you are wrong. I helped with the paperwork.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:42 PM

988 posts, read 1,739,434 times
Quote:

Huh. USCIS might disagree with you; a person is granted a permanent resident card, which even the USCIS admits is commonly called a "Green Card," and depending on which state you're in, it can, indeed, be primarily green.

As to why you're receiving so much guff, you haven't provided a clear and consistent story, just dropping in details in dribs and drabs, which have been contradicting previous posts.

You may think the spouse's poor credit isn't part of the issue but I heartily disagree. You have a situation where you have one person who hasn't established US creditworthiness, and the only one that has, has terrible history. In the areas your friend is looking at, housing is in short supply whilst demand is stratospherically sky-high, especially in the Bay area. LLs can afford to be super choosy so your friend's spouse's situation is definitely hurting matters.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
friend wants to rent with a greencard, so zero credit. Most places have told them no gotta have credit. The other one has medical debt so think that is a big issue but clearly they won't rent to the GC holder in the first place, is this against fair housing maybe?
Here's a rework of your original post which would have eliminated several pages of back and forth.

"My friend is a non US citizen who has a job lined up with a US employer and is seeking accommodation in the xxxxx area for he, his wife and their xxxxx children. I've been trying to assist them seek housing but my friend has no US working history, has no US credit and, to complicate things, they have bad credit in their home country. Once he starts working here he'll have verifiable income but right now I'm not even able to find a landlord who'll consider them as tenants. I'm hoping that someone on this forum has had a similar experience or can offer suggestions. Thanks."

At least, that's what I'm assuming is the gist of the matter ...

To which one of the suggestions would likely have been that your friend come here solo, move into a short-term stay motel, get settled into the job and then send for the rest of the family when things are more settled.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:45 PM

Well I know the rules to keep up a green card. It's not a once issues good for life sort of card.

I guess this is a big cultural difference, being from Europe I don't see "one person who hasn't established US creditworthiness" as being negative. You do not need to have credit to live your life!

You can live your life in the USA without credit, are they "unworthy" of renting?

Old 07-16-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Here's a rework of your original post which would have eliminated several pages of back and forth.

"My friend is a non US citizen who has a job lined up with a US employer and is seeking accommodation in the xxxxx area for he, his wife and their xxxxx children. I've been trying to assist them seek housing but my friend has no US working history, has no US credit and, to complicate things, they have bad credit in their home country. Once he starts working here he'll have verifiable income but right now I'm not even able to find a landlord who'll consider them as tenants. I'm hoping that someone on this forum has had a similar experience or can offer suggestions. Thanks."

At least, that's what I'm assuming is the gist of the matter ...

To which one of the suggestions would likely have been that your friend come here solo, move into a short-term stay motel, get settled into the job and then send for the rest of the family when things are more settled.

Then you read the posts wrong. The person has had the same US job for 3+ years. They do not want to separate the family and shouldn't have to!

AND never said ANYTHING that they had bad credit in their own country. I am sorry I posted, this is not nice for them to read

Old 07-16-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
it's not good forever, sorry you are wrong. I helped with the paperwork.
You are seriously misinformed and your knee jerk reaction is just to bite back instead of doing your due diligence and getting your facts in order, thus wasting everybody's precious time. Go to the Legal Immigration forum and in the first "sticky" you'll find a link to the USCIS website where you can learn about all GCs and visas.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Then you read the posts wrong. The person has had the same US job for 3+ years. They do not want to separate the family and shouldn't have to!

AND never said ANYTHING that they had bad credit in their own country. I am sorry I posted, this is not nice for them to read
If he's been in the US working for the same US company for 3 years then he has a SSN and should by now have built up credit. But I'm guessing (who can do other than guess based on your posts) that he's been working remotely for a US company in his home country and thus hasn't been entered into the US system in any respect. The company is now sponsoring him for a working visa so he can come to the US to work.

I agree that this is "not nice" for your friends to read but the onus about your perception that it's "not nice" is entirely upon you and your inability to clearly state facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting