Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2014, 10:57 PM

3 posts, read 2,639 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am currently 21 and living with my mother who has housing assistance. I've always had a job but recently just got a new job that pays very well. She currently has a 2 bedroom which is on her voucher. I believe once she reports my new income she might loose her voucher. For her sake will it be better for me to move out? If I move out will she have to move out as-well being that she has a 2 bedroom and now is currently by herself? She doesn't work and is on SSI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 03:45 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
As far as the 2 BR goes, this may depend on availability in the area as well as how strictly the program is run in your area.
If there's a shortage of 1 BRs, she likely will not be asked to move and in some places wouldn't be asked to move at all.
Have her inquire instead of asking here since the rules can be bent or strictly adhered to and I doubt any of us knows how it's run in your area.
You could make up the difference if she was disqualified but that isn't what I would suggest since it's likely you'll go out on your own eventually and she would be back to the bottom of the waiting list to get a new voucher.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:49 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocktrns View Post
Hello, I am currently 21 and living with my mother who has housing assistance. I've always had a job but recently just got a new job that pays very well. She currently has a 2 bedroom which is on her voucher. I believe once she reports my new income she might loose her voucher. For her sake will it be better for me to move out? If I move out will she have to move out as-well being that she has a 2 bedroom and now is currently by herself? She doesn't work and is on SSI
Since its based upon a 21yo's income, they will prob just adjust the amt you must pay. If you ever are not living with her, they will drop her down to a 1br voucher.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:43 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Contact SS directly and ask them - you can do so online, call them, or go down to your local office. I've found them very helpful.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:46 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
I agree...don't count us to give you correct information.....call them or visit them yourself and ask

Old 07-20-2014, 07:56 AM

3 posts, read 2,639 times
Alright thank you. I dont want her to get dropped from the program and if she does get dropped making up the difference would be to expensive for me. I just wanted to make sure if I leave she wouldnt be dropped from the program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting