U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 11:57 PM

3 posts, read 2,907 times

Advertisements

I found this great cottage on a lake in the woods. I really love it, but when I went to visit it the previous renter's stuff was still there. They have very differ taste than I do. Plus, a lot of the stuff was gone and random bits were scattered around the floor. The place smelled like men/smokers. The place was also a bit rough around the edges. It is small and the appliances are old. I can't tell if I didn't like the place, or if the stuff the previous renters had in there was just so awful it really put me off. Any advice? I know it is really hard to tell. Anyone had a similar situation? My husband says I just like the idea of the place. I would appreciate any help! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 12:20 AM

5,626 posts, read 5,086,534 times
Thats pretty common when shown a rental. (if you dont see a model) Buying is a bit different as it is common knowledge to downsize and clean up.

If you love the place get it, youre getting the bones not the stuff in it.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:28 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,592,980 times
An issue I would be concerned with is there stains underneath the furniture that may not come out. Also the smoke smell. I once looked at a place that had an odd smell and I did not rent it.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:42 PM

Thanks guys. I appreciate your input.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:17 PM

8,553 posts, read 7,711,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB633 View Post
I found this great cottage on a lake in the woods. I really love it, but when I went to visit it the previous renter's stuff was still there. They have very differ taste than I do. Plus, a lot of the stuff was gone and random bits were scattered around the floor. The place smelled like men/smokers. The place was also a bit rough around the edges. It is small and the appliances are old. I can't tell if I didn't like the place, or if the stuff the previous renters had in there was just so awful it really put me off. Any advice? I know it is really hard to tell. Anyone had a similar situation? My husband says I just like the idea of the place. I would appreciate any help! Thanks.
Is this to buy or to rent?

I ask because if it's to rent you might be stuck with things the LL won't replace - such as old appliances that work.

If it's to buy and for a good price? You can and will make it your own. You just have to see past the "stuff" that won't be staying, clean and paint the walls, etc. to seal in the smoke smell, move your own things in and replace the appliances and sand down the rough edges of the rest of the property.... if you have the funds to go that route.

Best of luck to you!

Old 07-20-2014, 08:24 PM

15,039 posts, read 21,790,321 times
My only concern would be the smoke smell.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:27 PM

12,452 posts, read 31,583,379 times
I hate it when things are dirty & old smelly furniture is left behind. I also don't get those shows that say to Stage homes for sale its kinda dumb!

Old 07-20-2014, 09:49 PM

8,553 posts, read 7,711,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I also don't get those shows that say to Stage homes for sale its kinda dumb!
I don't think it's dumb - because it works. There is a method to the madness.

A lot of home seekers can't visualize how an empty house would look with their own "stuff" in it, so staging helps them see the potential.

Especially if it's a model home or a newly renovated (or flip) property.

It's the same reason the high-end builders stage their model homes: to make the property just that much more appealing. And when you move in with your old ratty couch and hand-me-down everything else...it doesn't look quite the same, but it could...you saw that it could.

And staging a house with your own stuff, as a seller living in the home, can also make the space/property a lot more attractive than it looked before. Just by painting a few walls, storing clutter, getting rid of cairns, deconstructing alters, giving the house a deep cleaning.....like that show, "Sell This House".

A lot of buyers can't get past clutter, dark rooms, funky decor, strange furniture, weird artwork, weird anything.

So you have to help them if you want to sell your house.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:39 PM

Default Decisions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Is this to buy or to rent?

I ask because if it's to rent you might be stuck with things the LL won't replace - such as old appliances that work.

If it's to buy and for a good price? You can and will make it your own. You just have to see past the "stuff" that won't be staying, clean and paint the walls, etc. to seal in the smoke smell, move your own things in and replace the appliances and sand down the rough edges of the rest of the property.... if you have the funds to go that route.

Best of luck to you!
It's a rental. Man everyone is giving such good input I don't know what to do now. The management company really didn't seem to know much about the property. I researched and found that the neighborhood pumps water from the lake. I was concerned if the power went out then so would the water. The lady from the company didn't know where the water came from, but she was sure I was wrong when I said they pumped it from the lake. No dishwasher either. Still the location is a slice of heaven. Man, this is though.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:28 PM

3,199 posts, read 11,446,748 times
If they're renting it as is, and you don't like it, move on. Will they clear it out and clean? If not move on quickly! It's a losing battle. Owner's are funny this way - they're the owner and what they say goes unless it's illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or