Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2018, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,715 times

Advertisements

Okay so, in Oct 2018 our apartment building caught on fire due to the neighbors careless actions. We were told weeks later that we would have to move out due to smoke damage. We then signed a new lease with a new complex and moved into a fully renovated unit, while signing the lease our landlord told us that suddenlink "accidentally" cut a cable and that they'd be by monday to fix it. Within the same week we called Suddenlink to install our internet and they said we weren't able to get cable or internet due to a fried cable that they had no responsibility in fixing. Apparently there was also a fire in our unit prior to us moving in back in 2017 which fried the cable wire that gives us access to internet and was never fixed. We are now being charged for cable that we obviously don't have and can't have until the wire is fixed. I asked our downstairs neighbors if they had cable or internet and they said they've been there for a month and are still bugging the land lord to get it fixed. The suddenlink technician told us that they were not allowed to work on cables in the attic anymore and that our apartment is the one who has to fix it. My land lord says other wise and we are in the middle of this without cable or internet and i have to do my homework at work. Is there any possible way we could break our lease without penalty. We live in Texas btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 03:11 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
Because this isn't a habitability issue, no.

It could be a deceptive advertising problem so pull the ad and see what it says about it. If the listing includes language about cable/internet you can take it to the AGs office and see what they say, just the threat of that could be enough to get the lazy pos off his butt.

What I would do is write a demand letter for the needed repair. You really should have a paper trail for all repairs that you request including this one. Look up the Texas laws regarding repairs, typically they are only regarding health or safety and this isn't covered as either but check them out anyway. I doubt this would apply, however, the Texas Apartment Association lease used to have a line that says something about repairs. If it still does, check your lease over, then the landlord could be found in breach of the lease agreement.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Had the same attic issue with cable provider here...

Spoke to a supervisor and he had a tech meet me at the site and leave enough cable for me to pull to 6 units...

Next day the same tech came back to terminate and end of issue.

Rules and procedures change and someone will have to step up to get movement.

It is not rocket science.

Some I know would be willing to move over cable and more than a few...

Just had a rural rental without cable... it was near impossible to rent... owner bit the bullet and paid 14k to have it put in underground as required... now gets $400 more a month for the place.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:58 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
You can sue for the value of the internet you're not getting, if you were told that internet was included.

So, as mentioned above, get proof that you were told you'd have internet - in writing. Print out their online advertisement, or if you have any other paper flyer, etc., that says internet is provided, get a copy. Or, write them an email asking where is the internet they said they'd provide - and if they respond with an answer about when it should be repaired, etc., - there is written proof that they promised they'd provide it.

Then, what I'd do in the meantime, is get ATT internet - or whatever internet you can get through your phone line. The law probably says that the landlord must provide you with a landline. Check that as far as TX law goes, but that's the law in CA.

So, if the landlord must provide you with a landline, then you can get internet through the phone jack by whichever provider handles your area. For me, it's ATT.

Then, when your landlord gets the cable internet issue worked out, quit ATT. Then, demand from your landlord the total cost of the ATT internet from the time you started it, until the date the landlord got the internet fixed. If they don't give you a rent credit for that amount, you can sue for that amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting