Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2007, 03:44 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Property Manager Says Man Abandoned Lease After Dying Of Heart Attack.

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- A fight for the rent at a South Florida man's apartment has taken a macabre turn. The renter died suddenly, and now the landlord claims his family is still responsible for the rent.

Eric Zissen's brother, Art, died in September after suffering a heart attack in his first-floor apartment.

http://www.local10.com/news/14904043/detail.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 08:29 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
His family is not responsibe for s**t! They didn't sign the lease, he did. The lease dies when he died. Now, if he owns past rent they can bill his estate for it but since he was renting, it is not likely he has much of an "estate".

Old 12-21-2007, 11:55 PM

177 posts, read 923,587 times
Seriously...you can't collect future rent from people who didn't sign a contract. I hope the judge tosses this landlord out of his butt!

Old 12-22-2007, 07:05 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,209 times
I once had a tenant who committed suicide. She was separated from her husband and living with her new boyfriend. They were one month behind in their rent, boyfriend moves out. I was the manager. The stupid owner of the property decides to file a claim in small claims court against her husband, who was not on the lease and didn't even live there. I refused to go to court on this case. So, the owner did. The Judge threw the case out and said you can't sue a dead person. You could only go after the Estate, which she didn't have.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:08 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
His family is not responsibe for s**t! They didn't sign the lease, he did. The lease dies when he died. Now, if he owns past rent they can bill his estate for it but since he was renting, it is not likely he has much of an "estate".
That landlord is a jerk.

Oh, and KevK...not all renters are poor deadbeats. I rent, and I have substantial financial assets. I have enough in my checking account to pay my rent and car payment all the way through to the end of my lease in August. So....

Old 12-22-2007, 09:28 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,941,851 times
Based on the info in the article, this guy's out of his mind. He's gotta' be smokin' something other than tobacco.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:30 AM

139 posts, read 530,128 times
A long time ago I was living in a residence hotel in Los Angeles, when a girl I knew, who lived there also, committed suicide. The hotel manager tried to collect from her family because he said she didn't give notice.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,855 times
Default Totally the truth

THey're trying to sue the estate for the 1600 deposit and rent from oct -dec totalling $3400 ( so far) so basically I have to hire an attorney, mount a defence and fight this and when I win go after the apartment complex for attorney's fees. ( or if i lose pay theirs)

I offered to let them keep the security deposit and call it a wash but they felt entitled to the deposit, 3 months additional rent etc.

for example... if my brother was only 2 months into a 12 month lease would the estate be responsible for the other 10 months if the place goes unrented if for example the rental market in Ft.L goes bad?

as an FYI we are responding to their claim for the 3400 so we dont get a "default" judgement against the estate. (while accruing atty fees...) and if they do formally sue us then we'll have to deal with that as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting