Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 10:57 PM

128 posts, read 163,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
dont they make portable air conditioners for this very reason? so that you dont have to do duct work? they advertise it on tv here in chicago, something you attach to the wall or something like that.. im sure someone who is handy may have heard of it.
Yes, portable a/c's are great. But they dont ventilate the room, which is what i am looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 11:19 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Here's an example of what i mean - its not like a portable a/c - it goes on the wall but you dont need duct work.. this is just one company. i've seen more than one with this type of device -

Mini Split Air Conditioner, No Duct Work Is Necessary

Old 08-13-2014, 04:37 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillS111 View Post
Yes, portable a/c's are great. But they dont ventilate the room, which is what i am looking for.
What do you mean by "ventilate the room"? I have friends with a portable A/C and it simply vents out through a window just like a window A/C unit, is very compact and does a great job of cooling the space quickly and quietly when needed.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:57 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
You know that duct work and an air conditioner unit are going to cost several thousand dollars, right? The last time I had duct work and a heat pump installed, it cost $5,000 and that was 15 years ago when a dollar bought more than it does today.

That's a lot of money for a tenant to put into a rental unit You aren't going to be very happy if you are asked to leave at the end of the first year, after you've put thousands of dollars into improvements.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:35 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
The OP is talking about a ventilation system, not an air conditioner.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Here's an example of what i mean - its not like a portable a/c - it goes on the wall but you dont need duct work.. this is just one company. i've seen more than one with this type of device -

Mini Split Air Conditioner, No Duct Work Is Necessary
Thank you. That is good for an a/c, but it doesnt ventilate the room i.e. it doesnt bring in outside air

Old 08-13-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
What do you mean by "ventilate the room"? I have friends with a portable A/C and it simply vents out through a window just like a window A/C unit, is very compact and does a great job of cooling the space quickly and quietly when needed.
a/c's dont ventilate i.e. they dont exchange outside and inside air

Old 08-14-2014, 07:03 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
The OP is talking about a ventilation system, not an air conditioner.
Duct work is still going to cost him a couple thousand dollars. It is a big construction project and the materials are not cheap.

If all you want, OP, is outside air, then set a small electric fan into an open window, set to blow air into your apartment. It is a minor project to rig a window up so that a fan is sitting there and the rest of the space is closed and the window can not be opened.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Duct work is still going to cost him a couple thousand dollars. It is a big construction project and the materials are not cheap.

If all you want, OP, is outside air, then set a small electric fan into an open window, set to blow air into your apartment. It is a minor project to rig a window up so that a fan is sitting there and the rest of the space is closed and the window can not be opened.
A fan wont work - i cant have the inside of my apt be 90 deg F and 80% humidity for 6 months (Miami)

Old 08-14-2014, 11:03 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Why not rent a house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting