Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 05:20 PM

16 posts, read 81,481 times

Advertisements

So, apparently I have bed bugs. I haven't noticed many marks on me and when I did, I thought at first mosquitoes. Until one day i saw a bug on me and did some research to find, I have bed bugs. So the exterminator says I have a bed bug infestation that took about 3 months give or take to form. I've only been in my apartment little over 2 1/2 months. I haven't been on any trips, no new furniture or anything that would indicate I brought them in. My apartment complex is not so nice; by that I mean, the sheet I had to sign with all the things wrong is full. One of the things that gets me, is that I was suppose to move in on the 17th but they didn't let me in until 2 days later casue they didn't clean the carpets, and the thing is there is no indication of a thorough carpet cleaning at all. There is also a hole in the carpet where a lot of bugs are. I mean, I'm no bed bug expert but, this all is jut so shady.

My issue is, that they are stating I have to pay for it if I brought them in... which they say I did, with nothing at all to back it up. I don't have the money to pay for a hefty bill. I don't even have it and to hope on getting reimbursed later. They are definitely throwing me in a corner cause they have better resources. I called a lawyer and he told me my case isn't enough for almost any lawyer to take, casue I don't have significant scaring or anything like that. So I don't have any legal backup or anything. I don't know if this is a small claims court thing or if it could be. I don't know if there are any groups I can contact... but man I'm really done for because of this unfair/unlucky situation. I live in Fl, btw, and the law states that it's a landlord responsibility... but the contract again says it's not if I brought them in. But I'm just so certain these things were here. I've traveled through Europe and America a large amount of times and never had it... then I move here and boom.

If anyone has any information or advice, please send it my way. I'm utterly stunned on my next action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 09:23 AM

9,865 posts, read 14,059,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denomeno View Post
I live in Fl, btw, and the law states that it's a landlord responsibility.
First, I think you are in the completely wrong forum. this should probably be in the Renting forum or one of the Florida forums.

Possibly your roomates brought in the bedbugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denomeno View Post
One roomate is here 3 days a week, and sleeping for literally 24 hours straight, while the other is even more conservative.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:50 AM

9,895 posts, read 9,540,860 times
Denomeno - #1 - find out if your city has a bed bug ordinance and they will tell you who is responsible.

#2 - if you brought them on purpose vs by accident, that means if you will pay or not, it is hard to prove.

#3 - bedbugs are sneaky and can hide in walls, behind your electric outlet covers, can hibernate and not eat for a year, and they can hide. it could be the previous person had them and did not tell the landlord.

#4 - it is hard to prove who brought them or how they entered your apartment.

now that you have the problem it has to be taken care of or it will be a worse nightmare and harder to deal with. your landlord is probably the one responsible since it has to do with upkeeping his property and there is no way to prove how they came in or if they were there before or not. your neighbors apartments to the right and left of you and upstairs and downstairs will have to be checked because they can travel thru the walls.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:06 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,823,969 times
You need to try and take care of them while waiting on your landlord. DONT let them just sit there!!!

So you cant afford a hefty bill but there are things you can do!!! Go to walmart right now and get a ZIPPERED bedbug mattress cover and duct tape. Put that on your mattress and box spring and duct tape the zipper. That will keep them off your mattress. Spray with bedbug spray or bomb if you can (its best but if you cant afford it, at least get the cover). Then youre going to literally throw away anything you can get rid of. They love books, pictures, drawers, clothes, bags, etc. Throw away anything you can. Then youre going to CLEAN up. Seriously, that pile of dirty clothes in the hamper- pick them up because they love dark places like that. The group of pictures hanging on the wall you didnt dust- clean.

It wont magically fix the problem, but it will help. (im not an expert but i have had bed bugs and the first time i literally threw away everything i owned, second time we had a company come out, 3rd time i threw everything away again).

Old 08-15-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
You need to try and take care of them while waiting on your landlord. DONT let them just sit there!!!

So you cant afford a hefty bill but there are things you can do!!! Go to walmart right now and get a ZIPPERED bedbug mattress cover and duct tape. Put that on your mattress and box spring and duct tape the zipper. That will keep them off your mattress. Spray with bedbug spray or bomb if you can (its best but if you cant afford it, at least get the cover). Then youre going to literally throw away anything you can get rid of. They love books, pictures, drawers, clothes, bags, etc. Throw away anything you can. Then youre going to CLEAN up. Seriously, that pile of dirty clothes in the hamper- pick them up because they love dark places like that. The group of pictures hanging on the wall you didnt dust- clean.

It wont magically fix the problem, but it will help. (im not an expert but i have had bed bugs and the first time i literally threw away everything i owned, second time we had a company come out, 3rd time i threw everything away again).
you don't have to throw everything away if it gets exterminated properly lethal heat treatment will kill everything in one treatment done by a professional.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:52 AM

I have learned - don't panic.

(((though it does make you freak out if you discover it)))

Old 08-15-2014, 10:52 AM

231 posts, read 574,393 times
I got them once after going on vacation. It was a nightmare. They were only up in the master bedroom (top floor). We went and spent about $100 for a good bedbug matress cover. We had an exterminator come out but we didn't have the thousands of dollars to spend. The tips they gave us were great though. I vaccumed everyday. I washed my comforter and sheets, every other day. I sprayed rubbing alcohol on EVERYTHING daily. I got rid of any type of clutter, papers and junk. My dad was able to get my the actual chemical spray that the exterminators use. I had to mix it up (very awful poison stuff) and I put it into a pump spray. I suited myself up with gloves and everything and sprayed every single inch of my bedroom. I did this once a week for about 2 weeks and then I did it monthly for 2 months. That was 2 1/2 years ago and I never saw another bed bug after that and haven't had a bite since. I hope to never go through that again.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:26 AM

this will help you - inexpensive -

Climbup Insect Interceptors | trap and monitor

Old 08-15-2014, 06:40 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,823,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
you don't have to throw everything away if it gets exterminated properly lethal heat treatment will kill everything in one treatment done by a professional.
Not always true.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Not always true.

The heat is lethal to them and penetrates everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting