Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 12:40 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,033 times

Advertisements

I don't have experience and I wasn't sure. That's why I said "I don't think" it is. I'm sure there is a way to ask what the rules are in your state. State regulations can be stricter than the federal laws so make sure you know.

There are tons of agencies that run reports for you.

Liability is always an issue. You have to inform your homeowners and mortgage company you are renting. For the HO insurance it's no problem you just add the landlord policy. The mortgage company (or bank) can be annoying. Read your paperwork. Some mortgages say no rentals of any kind to get their special rate. So if you rent they increase your interest rate. It's annoying and not all mortgages are like that but just know that it can happen.

Anyone can sue you for anything. Doesn't mean it's going to happen, but your only protection is insurance and knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 12:49 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
^^^ This. I've been a LL on and off for many years but at one point which is relevant to your situation, I rented out a studio apartment in my home at the time and was very clear in my rental agreement about visitors. The space was single occupancy only and any overnight stay by visitors was restricted to something along the lines of no more than four nights in any month, with a "heads up" appreciated. If the tenant needed to accommodate someone for a longer period (temporarily) this could be discussed and additional rent would be negotiated. As in your situation, there was access to the main house (my area) from the apartment through a door which I kept locked but the unit did have its own separate entrance.

Such restrictions obviously aren't going to appeal to everyone but this was a private home and, like you, I didn't want strangers coming and going. I rented out the place for several years to different people who had no problem with the place and loved it - and only once had a problem with one tenant trying to buck the system by moving in her new boyfriend. She wasn't too pleasant when I approached her about it but I quietly reminded her of the agreement she'd signed. That was the end of it and she gave her notice and moved out.

You'll learn a lot reading through the many related threads on this forum. Lots of good advice on rental applications, background checks, credit checks, etc. Understand your state landlord tenant laws (linked in the first "sticky" on this forum) and, when you start putting together a rental agreement which suits you, pass it through a real estate attorney. It'll be money well spent.

Good luck!
Great information and very pertinent. I'd rep you, but CD insists that I "spread it around."

Old 08-18-2014, 12:22 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
In OH, when i was going to rent a low income apartment i was going to bring my dog with me (she is a service dog) and they can not charge extra for a service dog. They cant charge a extra deposit, rental fee, etc because its a medically needed dog- not a run of the mill canine.

google your state and service animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting