Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 08:43 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

I would not rent a place where I had to incur the additional hassle and expense of having to pay rent via certified check or money order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 08:51 AM

13,741 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Re-read this:

Some states say you can not demand any form of payment and a tenant can pay cash each month and you must provide a written receipt. Read your state laws.

Which is why I tried moving my questions to the Phx area where 7 out of 8 of my rentals are.

Last edited by john3232; 08-18-2014 at 09:13 AM..

Old 08-18-2014, 08:56 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Sounds as though you are not in the same town as your rental? When we had our rental in another town, we had the renters deposit their rent into a bank account we had set up just for the rent. I also provided deposit slips. Sometimes, when I happened to be in town when the rent was due, the renters offered it to me at the house. In that case, I gave them a receipt. This rental was in Texas.

That same bank account is now used for the buyer of the rental property to deposit his mortgage payment each month as we sold the property last year.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Sounds as though you are not in the same town as your rental? When we had our rental in another town, we had the renters deposit their rent into a bank account we had set up just for the rent. I also provided deposit slips. Sometimes, when I happened to be in town when the rent was due, the renters offered it to me at the house. In that case, I gave them a receipt. This rental was in Texas.

That same bank account is now used for the buyer of the rental property to deposit his mortgage payment each month as we sold the property last year.

I am not currently in the same town but will be at some point.

Screening tenants properly should avoid problems but I want to make sure everything is clearly spelled out in the lease.

I like the idea of setting up a rent account, giving the renters deposit slips and having them pay rent that way.

Or they can pay with a money order.

Last edited by john3232; 08-18-2014 at 09:17 AM..

Old 08-18-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
No personal checks? OP, why make the assumption from the start that your tenants will be writing you a bad check?
I'm sure with proper screening this shouldn't be a problem but I prefer not to receive personal checks.

A direct deposit into a bank rental account which has been set up sounds like a good idea.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:52 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
My lease states that the rent is due on the 1st, late on the 5th regardless of the mail, holidays, or weekends. That seems to solve the issue. There are also penalties involved with NSF should that happen.

I pay all the bills through Bill Pay in my bank account. I would hate to have to get a money order or certified check each month. At the time that we rented this house we had to take it because we have a large dog and were having a great deal of difficulty finding a place to rent. If the landlord had required a money order, I would have agreed as I was getting desperate. Do you really want people who you have over a barrel?

Old 08-18-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
... If the landlord had required a money order, I would have agreed as I was getting desperate. Do you really want people who you have over a barrel?

I will look into setting up a bank rental account in which tenants can deposit funds.

A money order will be a second option.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:12 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I would not give any tenant your checking account information.

Why? There is absolutely nothing that can be done with it. Its a routing number and a account number. If you write a check to someone the numbers are printed on the bottom of the check. I take my rent however my tenants pay it. I take cash check or they can online bank it. In fact three of my tenants pay exactly in each of those ways.

I wouldn't get too high and mighty on how you accept the rent. As long as it's paid on time.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:21 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I want to avoid a situation where tenants say they mailed the check but I didn't receive it.

Having the rent deposited directly into my checking account is fine.

However, the rent is paid I would like the tenants to provide proof of payment.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
They don't have to provide "proof of payment"! That's called a receipt, and it's issued by the landlord. They are responsible however, to pay the rent on time and if it does not reach you by reasonable means then they could be assessed late fees (which, I hope, are clearly written in your leases).

You cannot put your responsibilities as landlord on to tenants.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:31 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,527 times
Here is an option that is similar to Paypal only you use your email, which can be a limitation but I don't know anyone who doesn't have an email address or access to a cellphone/computer. You can use this app on your desktop or any mobile device as well. We use it all the time to send and receive cash directly from our checking or savings account and there is no fee to use it but again the limitation would be if your tenant doesn't have a bank account.

https://square.com/cash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting