Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 12:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

You always have the prerogative to research potential landlords (and employers) to determine whether or not you wanna be affiliated with them. As a tenant, I wouldn't any sooner rent from a known slumlord than a landlord would choose to rent to a deadbeat tenant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 01:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
You always have the prerogative to research potential landlords (and employers) to determine whether or not you wanna be affiliated with them. As a tenant, I wouldn't any sooner rent from a known slumlord than a landlord would choose to rent to a deadbeat tenant.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:19 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
you might want to know these things for your sense of peace in the house, however, you as a renter are in a lower position, because you are wanting to rent on the landlord's apartment, for which HE/SHE has ownership, you do not. You have to comply with landlord's rules. (of course landlord has to respect you as a tenant, but you do not boss him around).

Same as if you work for an employer, he is higher in power and authority than you, and you must submit to him/her.

if you want to live in a place like you hypothetically described here, then there's something wrong with your choices.

Of course I don't want to live in either type of place, but those are the last two I have lived in but as a poor person with unfixable bad credit, I seem to lack better options. I thought I was entitled to quiet enjoyment but perhaps not. The drunk who blows up a lot and gets into fights with his girlfriends doesn't even own the house; he rents it from his bud and lives there for free by gouging others for the extra bedrooms.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Absolutely. You betcha. I'm loaning Mr Tenant a house worth $250,000. I want to know that I will get my house back in good shape and payments will be on-time. . As soon as Mr Tenant loans me $250,000, he can ask all sorts of financial questions to determine if he will get his $250,000 back in good shape and on-time.

What if it's a room (not a house), you are onsite pretty much 24/7, and you are not extending kitchen privileges (i.e. you are assured that, outside the extraordinary event of arson, tenant is not going to burn down your kitchen)?

Old 09-02-2014, 08:51 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Of course I don't want to live in either type of place, but those are the last two I have lived in but as a poor person with unfixable bad credit, I seem to lack better options. I thought I was entitled to quiet enjoyment but perhaps not. The drunk who blows up a lot and gets into fights with his girlfriends doesn't even own the house; he rents it from his bud and lives there for free by gouging others for the extra bedrooms.
yeah that is a bad situation, it sounds like that was your best choice? You are entitled to quiet enjoyment.

Can't you get out of there? isn't there another place that would not be so crazy to live in? You might have to save some money, but if you can get out in a couple of months, maybe that will give you hope. You might get injured from them living there.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Easy solution: if you don't like the application, don't apply. Look for something else where the application isn't so detailed. There isn't anything there that the landlord can not ask of prospective tenants.

You are expecting the landlord to turn over control of a very valuable asset to you. He is going to want to see proof that you can pay what is owed and that you are going to take good care of the property.

If you buy, you'll be answering questions a lot more personal than that.

In areas with a formal landlord association (most areas, presumably), the association has a standard form which is widely used.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:16 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalhalo View Post
Which questions won't show up on a credit report?
Have you ever been convicted of a felony?
Is anyone in the household a smoker?
Do you have any pets?
How many vehicles will be at the property and are they all drivable?
Current and prior addresses sometimes do not show up, and landlord's names and contact information
Employment doesn't always show up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting