Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,062 times

Advertisements

I recently viewed an apt. With my mom. We loved the place but when reviewing the application we were appalled by some of the personal financial questions and wondered why they would need to know the following things? Student loans and amount paid towards that? 401k accounts? Amounts of our bank accounts. Three prior addresses. Three prior employment s. Credit card balance and payment amounts. If I have ever been served a late rent notice. If I have Eve been arrested for anything. Have I filed bankruptcy? Have I had a foreclosure of anything. I feel pretty violated disclosing amounts like that. Which of these questions do I have to answer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 09:10 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
All of them.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:29 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellypetts View Post
I recently viewed an apt... were appalled by some of the personal financial questions
and wondered why they would need to know...

If I have ever been served a late rent notice.
Have I had a foreclosure of anything.
Three prior addresses.
You truly wonder why they need to know about your history as a tenant?

Quote:

Student loans and amount paid towards that?
401k accounts?
Three prior employments.
Credit card balance and payment amounts.
You truly wonder why they need to know about what other obligations you have each month?

Quote:

If I have Ever been arrested for anything.
Have I filed bankruptcy
You truly wonder why they need to know about a criminal history or financial responsibility?

Old 08-26-2014, 09:44 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You truly wonder why they need to know about your history as a tenant?

You truly wonder why they need to know about what other obligations you have each month?

You truly wonder why they need to know about a criminal history or financial responsibility?

No landlord wants a deadbeat tenant.
If the current landlord was glad to "get rid of" the tenant, he/she might well give a glowing reference to accomplish that. Prior landlords have nothing to gain and will likely not hold back.

Income alone doesn't show an individuals true ability to pay. If the applicant has a lot of outstanding debt/obligations, timely and regular rent payments could be in doubt.

Lack of financial/social responsibility can be an indication of possible future difficulties.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:19 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
I recently viewed an apt. With my mom. We loved the place but when reviewing the application we were appalled by some of the personal financial questions and wondered why they would need to know the following things? Student loans and amount paid towards that? 401k accounts? Amounts of our bank accounts. Three prior addresses. Three prior employment s. Credit card balance and payment amounts. If I have ever been served a late rent notice. If I have Eve been arrested for anything. Have I filed bankruptcy? Have I had a foreclosure of anything. I feel pretty violated disclosing amounts like that. Which of these questions do I have to answer?
Go buy a house and apply for a mortgage...

Or save and pay cash and you don't have to answer the questions but the money needs to be in an account and be wired otherwise you can only buy a house under $10k for cash or you get questions.

You can search for a place with less questions but when a credit report comes back most of the answers will be on there anyway.

You have to thank all the bad tenants.

I just had another "winner" move out that may start a thread about whining to loose out of their entire deposit but probably failing to say what a pig they are.

It will all be fixed and rented to someone else who will fill out lots of questions.

This tenant was one we inherited when we took over management 2 years ago....

Old 08-27-2014, 09:45 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Quote:
The only questions I would have a problem with on there are the 401k one, and the one about the amount in my bank account. I would only expect to answer those two questions (and provide proof) if I didn't have verifiable income.

Everything else is going to show up either on the background check or credit check.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:02 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,053,067 times
It is what the landlord wants to know. You don't have to tell them and they don't have to rent to you. If you think those questions are bad, try applying for a mortgage. They go much deeper.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:25 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Easy solution: if you don't like the application, don't apply. Look for something else where the application isn't so detailed. There isn't anything there that the landlord can not ask of prospective tenants.

You are expecting the landlord to turn over control of a very valuable asset to you. He is going to want to see proof that you can pay what is owed and that you are going to take good care of the property.

If you buy, you'll be answering questions a lot more personal than that.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:17 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:

You are not required to answer any questions you don't want to. But they are not required to rent to you. If I get applications with missing info I just reject them. The reason I need that info is because I want to make sure you can pay the rent and won't have issues. You don't want to release the info? Well I can't make a decision without it

Last edited by Electrician4you; 08-27-2014 at 04:38 PM..

Old 08-28-2014, 06:10 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Go buy a house and apply for a mortgage...

Ha! If they think rental applications are invasive, just wait until they have to apply for a mortgage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting