Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 11:26 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If I had taken in a housemate and quoted them a fixed price deal I'd say no too.
And it seems crystal clear that this was the case. How many more ways do you want the OP to explain it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 11:31 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
And it seems crystal clear that this was the case.
Not to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
...that the rent and utilities would be split 50/50.
I don't see that as a fixed price deal in the least.

Fixed Price:
You get the second BR and use of the hall bathroom... $XX per month.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:34 AM

575 posts, read 1,467,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Not to me.

I don't see that as a fixed price deal in the least.

Fixed Price:
You get the second BR and use of the hall bathroom... $XX per month.
Rent is a fixed price - every month. To be split 50/50. I think that's pretty straightforward and I don't think it can be explained any simpler.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:41 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,712,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 314patel View Post
To clarify a bit more, my previous roommate and I split the rent 50/50 (this was set by him), and he even had the opportunity to take the larger room and have me move into the other one. Ultimately he didn't, because he enjoyed having a small balcony and a window facing a quieter street. More space and an ensuite vs. small balcony and quieter street is a relatively subjective argument, so that's not where my issue lies. And I don't fundamentally disagree with the premise of splitting rent by square footage, but my current roommate wants over 10x that. Again, this was not mentioned once in the months before we signed a lease together - not even in passing.

Having read most (not all) of the posts in this thread, I'm a bit surprised nobody has brought up the issue of the smaller room having a balcony and window facing a quieter street, assuming I'm understanding things correctly. Isn't that of value too ?

One person's idea of what they value and another person can be vastly different. Let's say I rent out two homes, one larger and inland, and one smaller and on lake front property, and charge the same rent for both. After showing a person both homes, they accept the smaller one (both are renting for the same amount), and a few months later they complain they think they should get reduced rent since this lake home is smaller than the inland home. Really ? How do I know what you value ? I assumed you wanted a lake view and were willing to pay for it....now suddenly you're not and you want to pay by square footage ?

If one room is smaller, but features an outside balcony and is facing a quieter side of the building.....that sure as heck is worth something. Rent a hotel room, or cruise ship room a few times if you want to see what a quiet room and/or outside balcony is worth !

Old 09-12-2014, 02:26 AM

625 posts, read 951,970 times
Quote:
I have been living in an apartment for the past year, but my previous roommate relocated. I found a new roommate that passed background checks, and everything seemed to be in order. We signed a lease and he moved in. Unfortunately, the pleasantness of the situation did not last long. A month into the rental period, my new roommate informed me that because his room is slightly smaller, more awkwardly shaped, and his (private) bathroom isn't connected to the room, he thinks he should be paying less rent; A substantially smaller amount. Alternatively, he proposed that we switch rooms halfway through the rental period.

As background, he and I were previously clear on the fact that the rent and utilities would be split 50/50. This is the way that it was done with my previous roommate, and no problems ever arose then. In hindsight, I should have also gotten this in writing, but hindsight is 20/20. He also had knowledge of the apartment layout. Although we co-signed the lease, and it stipulates the amount of rent due each month, it does not have any mention of splitting or division. I'm stuck here, because I don't want to create an uncomfortable environment, but I also don't want to pay out the nose for something that was never previously an issue.

Am I in the wrong for being upset by this? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

This is why I don't have roommates anymore, and I live by myself!

Old 12-08-2014, 01:41 PM

2 posts, read 1,866 times
I found this thread while looking for information on how to go about being the other guy in this kind of situation.

I made an agreement to get the middle sized room. Only to find out that smaller room is only a couple inches smaller and that person also has access to a garage which they said would be an extra $100 a month.

My situation is different but I hope the OP made the switch. I think if he spent awhile in the other guy's shoes he might realize the guy was not blowing smoke.

As for the people saying a deal is a deal, information asymmetry was clearly in the OP's favor. The new roommate has a different experience than he thought going into the deal. Perhaps the OP would if liked the new room better and all would be happy. If he is opposed to switching rooms, either he has some extremely heavy furniture or he knows his current room is much better.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:13 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurabug View Post
A $20/month difference is reasonable. A $90/month difference is not. Tell him if he's so worried about it, you'll switch him rooms and HE can pay $90/month more than you do.
^ I like the way azurabug thinks. Put the shoe on the other foot and see if he likes the idea of paying and extra $90 per month.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:39 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,570,971 times
Quote:
I have been living in an apartment for the past year, but my previous roommate relocated. I found a new roommate that passed background checks, and everything seemed to be in order. We signed a lease and he moved in. Unfortunately, the pleasantness of the situation did not last long. A month into the rental period, my new roommate informed me that because his room is slightly smaller, more awkwardly shaped, and his (private) bathroom isn't connected to the room, he thinks he should be paying less rent; A substantially smaller amount. Alternatively, he proposed that we switch rooms halfway through the rental period.

As background, he and I were previously clear on the fact that the rent and utilities would be split 50/50. This is the way that it was done with my previous roommate, and no problems ever arose then. In hindsight, I should have also gotten this in writing, but hindsight is 20/20. He also had knowledge of the apartment layout. Although we co-signed the lease, and it stipulates the amount of rent due each month, it does not have any mention of splitting or division. I'm stuck here, because I don't want to create an uncomfortable environment, but I also don't want to pay out the nose for something that was never previously an issue.

Am I in the wrong for being upset by this? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Do you have your old agreement in writing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting