Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 12:52 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,232,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 559pinky View Post
I'm recently moved into an apartment under Section 8 guidelines and hud-vash first weekend moving in I noticed that the sewers were overflowing from their cleanouts to the streets Head Upon moving in I ask the landlord doing inspections if the home had roaches or rodents the landlord said no Pawn open refrigerator there were roaches all the sticky traps outside by the hot water heater closets should have been warning but after being homeless for a year we proceeded to move in with the huge checklist at the landlord was aware of and promise to fix two months later and after the Section 8 stated they have no jurisdiction over enforcing federal minimum housing standards I have had to call code enforcement EPA I'm now having meetings requested with the mayor who oversight to Section 8 in Fresno and San Francisco's HUD enforcement online I've been seriously injured and was hospitalized due to negligence of the of the apartments Judah unlit passageways and toilets placed in front of stairwells Section 8 has been caught in several lies as in numerous safety issues to my apartment where clearly and not been inspected for safety and like I said they replied they do not have to enforce any federal laws for health and safety all the amenities the security measures and cleanliness of this Apartments have been to the minor and once said from section 8 and the landlord you are low-income this is Section 8 home what do you expect landlord is wrote in several letters to Section 8 and other people to try to eradicate me from these apartments I've explained to them that I will not move unless they pay me dearly after today I was threatened by the landlord I have all the documentation recordings videos everything has in. My eyes and crossing my T's I was wondering if I would be able to take my landlord to court sue for negligence on their amenities and unwillingness to follow Federal standards I live in town of Fresno and as if anybody knows Fresno believes they can do anything they want disregard a federal and other state laws this place has a long list of code violations that go Way Way Back to the point where I paid my rent for Time 5 times and 1 months due to their lying and other management being fired due to embezzlement I have my receipts for everything I was even told from section 8 not to pay my next rent but I'm glad I did after reading the stuff about escrow accounts I will never want to be homeless again and I would wish that upon no one it is the worst feeling ever for anyone but how can you make a property manager do the law when the law is as corrupt as he is but when I mean by lies Section 8 lies in regards to minimal quality how standards I've intercepted emails where it clearly states that the landlord has requested things that are illegal and all I've asked for his safety security Hazard free criminal free environments I believe due to the letter he got from my lawyer for personal injury that he's going to do everything he can in his power to evict me luckily he's easily overheated knowing that he's being recorded will state things that he's going to do if there's anyone that knows of a lawyer that is not scared to stand up for what's right please contact me at 559 pinky at gmail.com
Cool story, no one will read it without sentences and paragraphs though. Based on the little bit I read at the end you probably shouldn't be advertising for some random lawyer since this forum is not city specific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 12:35 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Cool story, no one will read it without sentences and paragraphs though. Based on the little bit I read at the end you probably shouldn't be advertising for some random lawyer since this forum is not city specific.
I didn't read it. Too difficult to read. But maybe someone will read it and give us a summery, which I suspect reads "I saw lots of problems but moved in anyway because it is cheap. Now I want it changed into expensive middle class rental for the same lowest end rent".

Old 10-25-2018, 09:58 PM

30,306 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I didn't read it. Too difficult to read. But maybe someone will read it and give us a summery, which I suspect reads "I saw lots of problems but moved in anyway because it is cheap. Now I want it changed into expensive middle class rental for the same lowest end rent".
Tee hee...

I remember when I first moved into my current place, my mother came over and was like "this-and-that needs to be fixed/replaced, this is old, blah, blah." To which I responded NO! If he does all of that, my rent won't be so "cheap" once he's done! You get what you pay for, in other words.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:01 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,644,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If you can prove they promised you those amenities I'm sure you could terminate the lease, but if it was just sales talk from a renting agent they may try to walk it back and say that they told you those were "planned for the future". I would talk to the manager about it. The problem is that if they tell you to buzz off and you aren't low income and can't get help from a legal non-profit group you might end up having to hire an attorney to get out of the lease.
It's in the contract.

OP: Read every word of your contract. That will tell you what to do next.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:11 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mforman1980 View Post
Thank you for the responses. Here is the latest update...
I emailed the corporate manager and told her that the amenities that are stated in my lease do not exist. Her exact response was, "Unfortunately the fitness center is an amenity that is not included in your rent. Your rent is due on the 1st and late fees are charged on the 5th at 5pm. The 5th is Sunday, you can drop a check or money order in the drop slot if you are unable to make it to the office hours." It's all bull.
Long story short, it has turned into complete chaos. After sending the email about my rent/amenities, I got a violation for breach of contract for noise and something about my children needing to be attended to. (My children are 3 and 5. What parent would let their child outside unattended?) In addition, I have had all sorts of things break and what not which not one has been fixed. I refused to pay rent since my lease is incorrect and repairs such a my children's bedroom doesn't have a screen and two cabinets have fallen off injuring my foot and hand. Then on top of that, we get an emergency visit at bedtime from CPS. They called in and made horrific claim to retaliate. Accusing me of being a drug user who is a wreck and barely finish a sentence. My husband who is breaking into cars in the neighboring complex and stealing and my 3 yr who runs around after dark outside unattended and naked. All is not only false but disgusting. Needless to say we have contacted an attorney at this point for harassment and slander. We know it was the manager because the case worker told us that the person who called in stated that she and her staff. She is just one lie after another. Best part is I did everything via email, no verbal so I have 30 emails back and forth and all that has happened. Hopefully it will all end well.
Thank you to all for the encouragement. It is nice to hear what you already know sometimes just for reassurance. Thanks again!
Ugh you may wanna be careful on not paying rent. Unless you got proof you have no idea who called CPS

when you said that they said that the fitness center isn’t included in your rent.....is there a fitness center? Did they give you a option as in if you pay another x amount you get use of xyz amenity?

Now that you got a lawyer take his advice on what to do.

I’m not sure how people get this intricately involved with their LL/PMC. I can tell you that once a person rents from me the times I meet/speak to them is if there is a issue or I have to do a inspection. That’s it.
I don’t promise anything more than what I’m willing to offer. Sounds like both you and the PMC are too much drama for one another.

Old 08-07-2023, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 277 times
Default Same issues as others

I live at an apt that has done same thing continues to lie about amenities theu told us there were 2 pools to use ND a hot tub And gated community well its Aug 6 and pool still not opened that makes 4 yrs in a row pool not opened the main pool was remodeled in June finished in June but still not opened they continue to advertise hot tub that doesn't exist and gate half ass works tons of issues w my apt and when I complained I was sent a letter fr lawyer stating I would be evicted if I continued to harrass the staff guess going to office to find out when things would be fixed um my apt Is harassment phone calls never answered or returned our move in date was changed on day we were supposed to move In I was already out of my other apt so I was homeless foe a week with brain cancer when finally moved in my apt was disgusting fridge broken and full of old food urine on floor around toilets the seat was broken causing me to fall off and injured myself all the coverings on drawers and cabinets is coming off as snd torn ut looks so awful they keep changing the amount of rent owed my lease states 1350 but in July I was charged 1457 2 mo of water bill and now we have to pay online and they charge 45 a mo for that making the rent almost 1500 a m9 instead of 1350 im disgusted I use the pool to help w pain fr cancer but like I said pool still not even opened its do wrong to continue lying about these things being available when ppl move in abd the retaliation is awful lying about my dog not being managed I also was not supposed to have stairs due to my disability they put me in anapt w 15 stairs I fell down them the other day duskocating all my ribs again 200 copay to go to hospital dye to their negligence wat can I do

Old 08-07-2023, 08:34 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
I remember during the pandemic when many apartment complexes were closing down community gyms, etc. Many of my fellow tenants as a residence in VA went to the leasing office to demand a rent rebate as multiple amenities outlined in the lease were no longer available. The leasing office's response was that the rent covered a roof over your head and that everything else was gravy, so they wouldn't be providing any money back. I, of course, wasn't thrilled by this response, but ultimately accepted it without doing much research on the matter. This seems to be the response provided by the OP's leasing office as well from what I'm reading.

That said, even if this answer is the correct one from a legal standpoint (I'm not sure if it is but let's assume so for the sake of argument here), it rubs me the wrong way as (in my example) I would not have rented a place without any standard amenities. Or at least I wouldn't have rented such a place for the standard going rate of otherwise similarly situated places that did have standard amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting