Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 09:04 AM

156 posts, read 515,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Well, sorry, it may anger you but it seems they went by the book after all. It's up to you to read and understand both the terms of your lease and your state landlord tenant laws. All you can do is sit down and talk to them to see if you can reach a compromise.
Okay. Yeah again I understand this was a mistake on my end. I tried to reason with the manager, but it seemed it was not in her hands, as she is simply a manager for the complex, but it is run by Concierge management group. She gave me the number of the company's regional manager, but said he'd likely just state the same thing to me.

My realtor is also planning on speaking with her today to try to negotiate something and find out about options for finding a new tenant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 11:44 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgibsong002 View Post
They did provide me with a letter (the manager stated it was 75 days prior to contract end date) with the renewal options as well as the month to month rate I'll be charged. What angers me is that it stated to check my lease for details, and then that if I do not provide written notice prior to contract end date, that my lease will roll over to month to month. So I read this as.. okay, if I don't move out by then, I'll go month to month, no problem. It's just such a sneaky tactic IMO. All they had to do was state 60 days in that letter and I'd have done it.
Yeah, this sounds like they did everything right. They gave you notice reminding you that your lease was coming up for renewal, that you needed to give notice per your lease (and told you to go read it for details) if you intended to move, and what the rent would be if you went month to month. That is WAY more than most rental agencies do. I don't see any out for you.

Hopefully your agent negotiates a lower month to month rate for you. That's about the best you can hope for.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:45 PM

53 posts, read 131,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Yeah, this sounds like they did everything right. They gave you notice reminding you that your lease was coming up for renewal, that you needed to give notice per your lease (and told you to go read it for details) if you intended to move, and what the rent would be if you went month to month. That is WAY more than most rental agencies do. I don't see any out for you.

Hopefully your agent negotiates a lower month to month rate for you. That's about the best you can hope for.
There is a answer to your problem ! Move out on the 10th,YOUR LL stated your lease is up on the 10th,so move out , put your things in storage and stay with friends until your new place is ready.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:26 PM

639 posts, read 1,963,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 3 View Post
There is a answer to your problem ! Move out on the 10th,YOUR LL stated your lease is up on the 10th,so move out , put your things in storage and stay with friends until your new place is ready.
You're missing the point. The OP is being forced to go month-to-month for 1 month after the lease ends.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:07 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
You're missing the point. The OP is being forced to go month-to-month for 1 month after the lease ends.

Most one yr leases go month to month unless you renew the lease for another year. I'm sure his lease clearly states this and I'm sure the lease clearly states that if you do go month to month your monthly rental is going to go up.

this is a case of a tenant signing a lease without reading it and now wants to blame the landlord for their mistake. Oh, well...never sign anything without reading it.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:22 AM

156 posts, read 515,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Most one yr leases go month to month unless you renew the lease for another year. I'm sure his lease clearly states this and I'm sure the lease clearly states that if you do go month to month your monthly rental is going to go up.

this is a case of a tenant signing a lease without reading it and now wants to blame the landlord for their mistake. Oh, well...never sign anything without reading it.
Seriously where is everyone reading that I'm trying to blame the landlord? I've said multiple times this is my fault. This is the first time I ever rented before and I made a mistake. I WAS angry that they neglected to write the 60 days bit on my renewal letter. The manager actually agreed with me and said she is doing that from now on because so many people did not know about this recently. She said she had to fight with corporate to even be able to include this... apparently they enjoy reaping the benefits of pushing people month to month.

But yes, it was MY fault. So give it a rest already. Please be compassionate though and realize I'm 24 on my own in a new city with my first job, and trying to find a way to not lose $1000. I'm still hoping there's some way I can get myself out of this situation. I could add someone to my lease for a short term, but I spoke with the manager and it doesn't seem I can find a way to remove myself of financial responsibility in the event that the new tenant trashes the place. I'm thinking maybe I can have THEM give me a deposit on the side, but I'm unsure if anyone would do that.

I seem to see many craigslist adds for people renting out their remaining lease terms. Is there a way to do this?? Or are all of these people just taking the risk that their new tenant will be trustworthy?

Old 09-16-2014, 08:53 AM

53 posts, read 131,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
no I am not missing anything , she knew the lease was ending , as I said, her choice is to just pay the extra or move out! . She is not being forced to pay the extra unless she stays there . It's sad that so many people sign contracts and at the end they get up set because they can't make changes to the contract. She doesn't need to give any notice, her contract is ending . MOVE!

Old 09-16-2014, 09:08 AM

575 posts, read 1,468,882 times
Quote:
no I am not missing anything , she knew the lease was ending , as I said, her choice is to just pay the extra or move out! . She is not being forced to pay the extra unless she stays there . It's sad that so many people sign contracts and at the end they get up set because they can't make changes to the contract. She doesn't need to give any notice, her contract is ending . MOVE!
Is this a serious reply?? If so, it's some of the worst advice I've ever seen on here.

Your advice would result in OP owing her LL ~$1500 in past due rent. Just because your original lease term has ended does not mean the contract is void. Instead, when no notice to vacate is given, the contract automatically renews on a month to month basis. Meaning her contract is not ending. It will be valid until 60 days after she gave notice to vacate. It's pretty standard. Every lease I've ever signed renewed on a month to month basis unless you gave them notice you were not renewing. The LL needs to know when you're leaving so they can make arrangements to try to have the unit re-rented as quickly as possible and know what kind of availability they have for prospective tenants. On the flip side, if the LL does not want to renew to you, they have to give you a notice as well so you aren't unexpectedly homeless at the end of your lease term.

I don't know why everyone is acting like OP is trying to screw someone over or placing blame on others. Seems like they know they messed up and they're trying their best to work with the hand they dealt themselves. No need to be rude.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:14 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurabug View Post
I don't know why everyone is acting like OP is trying to screw someone over or placing blame on others.
Reading laziness and lack of comprehension are unfortunately consistent elements on forums ...

Old 09-16-2014, 03:31 PM

639 posts, read 1,963,967 times
Quote:
Still missing the point. Moving will not reduce the amount the OP owes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting