Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 04:06 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
Still missing the point. Moving will not reduce the amount the OP owes.
It might, In Texas as in many states, the landlord has an obligation to try and mitigate the damages by finding a new tenant. If they can do this they cannot charge the previous tenant for rent during the time the property is rented by the subsequent tenant. The burden will be on the landlord to prove that they made a sincere effort to find another tenant.

Read up on your rights and obligations in Texas here. http://www.housing-rights.org/brochures.html

Last edited by CptnRn; 09-17-2014 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 05:17 PM

156 posts, read 515,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Not something he can do arbitrarily and still requires the written approval of the LL.
You've still been consistently posting and giving advice, so I do appreciate that. Sorry for the earlier comment there buddy.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:18 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
It might, In Texas as in many states, the landlord has an obligation to try and mitigate the damages by finding a new tenant. If they can do this they cannot charge the previous tenant for rent during the time the property is rented by the subsequent tenant. The burden will be on the landlord to prove that they made a sincere effort to find another tenant.

Read up on your rights and obligations in Texas here. Austin Tenants’ Council/Tenant-Landlord Fact Sheets
If the owner has to do this, in my opinion, the tenant has broken their lease. That goes back to what are the penalties in the lease for a lease break. Plus they then have a broken lease on their rental history. Not worth it to me for 2 weeks worth of rent. Plus if the LL cannot find someone, the tenant will still owe for that 2 weeks anyway. If the OP wanted to move out now, they would still owe rent at both places until the LL found someone, and owe the penalty for breaking the lease, besides.

I thought about that option, but it seems like it has the potential to both hurt the OP's rental history and cost more money overall.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
If the owner has to do this, in my opinion, the tenant has broken their lease. That goes back to what are the penalties in the lease for a lease break. Plus they then have a broken lease on their rental history. Not worth it to me for 2 weeks worth of rent. Plus if the LL cannot find someone, the tenant will still owe for that 2 weeks anyway. If the OP wanted to move out now, they would still owe rent at both places until the LL found someone, and owe the penalty for breaking the lease, besides.

I thought about that option, but it seems like it has the potential to both hurt the OP's rental history and cost more money overall.
Yes there's no chance I would want something like that on my history. I really don't want to be out this money, but I'm not desperate.

I did think back to the comment about privately entering an agreement with another tenant. What exactly is the difference between subletting (which I'm not allowed to do), and adding a 'roomate' and then entering in a contract with him and making sure he pays? I'm confused as the management said I can not sublet, but they did say I could technically add a roomate.. but she wouldn't recommend it as it is, in her opinion, too risky. But looking up the definition of sub-leasing, it seems having a roomate pay me WOULD be technically subletting. So I guess I don't get it.

If I am allowed to do so, I'd probably at least try to find someone. I don't think it'd be all that difficult to find a document online and have them sign everything. But I also realize that as time keeps going by I'm losing chances of anyone needing a rental for the remainder of what I have.

I also left a VM for the regional manager of my properties.. I am hopeful he might be able to help

Last edited by cgibsong002; 09-18-2014 at 02:31 PM..

Old 09-18-2014, 06:24 PM

575 posts, read 1,468,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgibsong002 View Post
Yes there's no chance I would want something like that on my history. I really don't want to be out this money, but I'm not desperate.

I did think back to the comment about privately entering an agreement with another tenant. What exactly is the difference between subletting (which I'm not allowed to do), and adding a 'roomate' and then entering in a contract with him and making sure he pays? I'm confused as the management said I can not sublet, but they did say I could technically add a roomate.. but she wouldn't recommend it as it is, in her opinion, too risky. But looking up the definition of sub-leasing, it seems having a roomate pay me WOULD be technically subletting. So I guess I don't get it.

If I am allowed to do so, I'd probably at least try to find someone. I don't think it'd be all that difficult to find a document online and have them sign everything. But I also realize that as time keeps going by I'm losing chances of anyone needing a rental for the remainder of what I have.

I also left a VM for the regional manager of my properties.. I am hopeful he might be able to help
If you aren't planning to live there, there is virtually no difference between a roommate and a sublet except that a roommate can be held equally responsible for unpaid damages / rent and is added to the lease rather than a separate contract being signed.

I still would not do this unless your "roommate" agreed to sign a lease on their own after the one you're on expires. Your roommate could refuse to vacate or trash the place and then you'd both get evicted rather than you just being out money. Which a sublet could also do (except the LL would solely go after you in that case).

Old 09-18-2014, 06:28 PM

The regional actually gave me a call back and seemed incredibly friendly. I was just very honest and explained how I screwed up and he said he was going to look into what he can do. I should be hearing back from him tomorrow. I'd be very grateful and I'm hopeful that he can do something. It would certainly save a huge amount of stress if we can work something out.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:40 PM

575 posts, read 1,468,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgibsong002 View Post
The regional actually gave me a call back and seemed incredibly friendly. I was just very honest and explained how I screwed up and he said he was going to look into what he can do. I should be hearing back from him tomorrow. I'd be very grateful and I'm hopeful that he can do something. It would certainly save a huge amount of stress if we can work something out.
That's great news Hopefully they'll be willing to work with you! 2 weeks of rent isn't much for a large corporation and I've had some that let me leave my lease much much earlier than 2 weeks without penalty.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurabug View Post
That's great news Hopefully they'll be willing to work with you! 2 weeks of rent isn't much for a large corporation and I've had some that let me leave my lease much much earlier than 2 weeks without penalty.
Yes honestly I'm hoping they'll let me leave when my lease was supposed to be up, the second week in October. I was supposed to have my girlfriend, and then later my parents, visit me here in the next 2 months and it would really just be great if I could get out when I originally thought I was. Like you said, this is an enormous corporation in a rich area and I don't think the few bucks means as much to them as it would me. Still I understand they don't need to do anything, so I am hopeful. I'll update you guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting