Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 08:41 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,462,930 times

Advertisements

Yeah, a downside to living in a complex in an area that has bugs is that if you don't spray everyone, the bugs just all run to whatever units didn't get treated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 08:47 AM

156 posts, read 514,773 times
Well just to reiterate, there were no treated buildings or apartments except for 6 months ago. Someone may have done their own personal thing but I don't know. Anyway, I haven't seen anything since Monday night when I initially got home. Still freaked out and constantly looking around, but I haven't seen anything since.

Any suggestions on what to have the pest control guy do? Last time they came I had to clean out my entire kitchen and bathroom and move things to a safe room so they could spray. I'm moving in a month and just really don't feel like emptying out every single cabinet just to put it all back and then pull it out again.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:02 AM

575 posts, read 1,467,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgibsong002 View Post
Well just to reiterate, there were no treated buildings or apartments except for 6 months ago. Someone may have done their own personal thing but I don't know. Anyway, I haven't seen anything since Monday night when I initially got home. Still freaked out and constantly looking around, but I haven't seen anything since.

Any suggestions on what to have the pest control guy do? Last time they came I had to clean out my entire kitchen and bathroom and move things to a safe room so they could spray. I'm moving in a month and just really don't feel like emptying out every single cabinet just to put it all back and then pull it out again.
Yes, have them lay down bait. You'll have to empty out everything - that's just how it is. If you don't get this dealt with before you move you risk the possibility of taking roaches with you to your new place. Roaches are most active at night when it is dark. They don't like being exposed so the best places to look for them are in cabinets, behind appliances, etc...

Old 10-01-2014, 09:44 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:
Anyway, I haven't seen anything since Monday night when I initially got home. Still freaked out and constantly looking around, but I haven't seen anything since.I'm moving in a month and just really don't feel like emptying out every single cabinet just to put it all back and then pull it out again.
The very fact would indicate that someone somewhere close to you took care of their own unit. Since you've seen nothing since, do the sensible thing and tell the PMC that since you've seen nothing since you'd prefer not to have the exterminator treat the unit until after you move in a month's time.

If you are indeed still "freaking out" then pick up a tube of Combat roach paste and dot it around. The stuff is A-1 and if the bait is untouched by the following morning then you can rest assured you don't have a problem. If the bait is gone, the remaining roaches will have taken it back to their nests and they will quickly die along with their roommates.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:24 AM

Conflicting info above so can either of you clarify? If I don't see anything, how will I take them with me to my new place? I could see that with something like fleas.. I don't see how I'm going to transfer roaches..

The only thing that concerns me about bait is.. doesn't that just attract them out? Would it attract them from other units in my building?

Old 10-01-2014, 10:37 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:
Conflicting info above so can either of you clarify? If I don't see anything, how will I take them with me to my new place? I could see that with something like fleas.. I don't see how I'm going to transfer roaches..

The only thing that concerns me about bait is.. doesn't that just attract them out? Would it attract them from other units in my building?
I've never heard of anyone transporting roaches from one place to another but I suppose it could happen. But that's nowhere near as serious as transporting bedbugs! The bait will attract roaches from YOUR hidey-holes and dark spaces - if they're there - not from anywhere else. Trust me, I live where cockroaches abound and when I get a few inside which need to be dealt with I use the bait I mentioned (which I've found to be the absolute best) and the roaches are quickly dispensed with. If the bait attracted them from outside (and my home is wide open) where they live in abundance it would be a disaster of major proportions.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I've never heard of anyone transporting roaches from one place to another but I suppose it could happen. But that's nowhere near as serious as transporting bedbugs! The bait will attract roaches from YOUR hidey-holes and dark spaces - if they're there - not from anywhere else. Trust me, I live where cockroaches abound and when I get a few inside which need to be dealt with I use the bait I mentioned (which I've found to be the absolute best) and the roaches are quickly dispensed with. If the bait attracted them from outside (and my home is wide open) where they live in abundance it would be a disaster of major proportions.
Haha yeah that's what I was worried about! Attracting new bugs that were never even there in the first place. But okay. I think I'll ask if my manger can just request Orkin place bait instead of spray. Might as well have them do it for free instead of going to buy stuff.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:57 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,462,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
We've only had roaches twice in any of our rental units, and both times, they were transported in. Once, the tenant brought eggs in with her laundry that hatched in the house. The other time, the tenant bought a gaming system off Craigslist and live roaches were inside the system (Orkin said roaches like electronics and this is pretty common).

Old 10-02-2014, 12:13 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
If you only have a mth left, ride it out.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:14 AM

Found one crawling on my shower wall this morning. Only the first I've seen since the beginning of the week, but in a new location. I think they are German roaches, based on what I've looked at online.

Now I'm worried about transporting anything to my new place. I'll definitely leave behind all food, bags, boxes, etc. But still worried about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting